+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NFL Playoffs, Week 1 (Wildcard Week)

NFL Playoffs, Week 1 (Wildcard Week)

Saturday, Jan 4

Indianapolis at N.Y. Jets, 4:30 p.m.
    Atlanta at Green Bay, 8 p.m.

Sunday, Jan 5

Cleveland at Pittsburgh, 1 p.m.
    N.Y. Giants at San Francisco, 4:30 p.m.

All times Eastern

Expect unexpected in wild-card weekend
    By Skip Wood, USA TODAY

If the NFL's regular season taught us anything, it's that there's no such thing as a sure thing, and such wisdom certainly can be applied to this weekend's first-round playoff games. Just one of the four games, in fact, has been deemed by oddsmakers to be won by more than a touchdown and that's Pittsburgh's eight-point designation over visiting Cleveland.

And anyone who believes the Browns have no shot at reaching Super Bowl XXXVII in San Diego hasn't been paying attention to this most wacky of regular seasons. There were a record 25 overtime games, 19 of 32 teams finished .500 or better and no NFL team won more than 12 games the first time that has happened since 1993.

Consider, for example, the New York Giants, who Sunday will visit San Francisco. The Giants were 6-6 a month ago, losers of two in a row and floundering.

Now they're the only team in the field that hasn't lost in its last four games.

"The momentum factor going into the playoffs is big," Giants coach Jim Fassel says. "Now the only thing is, where does that momentum dip for you? How long can you maintain the momentum? With that said, I would still like to have the momentum because of the six teams in the NFC, only two of them won their last game."

He's referring to the Giants, of course, and Tampa Bay. And of the eight teams competing this weekend, the Giants at 8-4, Green Bay (5-0) and Indianapolis (6-1) have the best records in games decided by seven points or fewer. The New York Jets are the worst at 3-4.

Danny Sheridan's Odds (from USA Today):

Saturday's games
    N.Y. JETS 6 Indianapolis 41
    GREEN BAY 6 Atlanta 40

Sunday's games
    PITTSBURGH 8 Cleveland 42
    SAN FRANCISCO 3 N.Y. Giants 40

Funny, all the home teams are favored to win.

The Packers look horrible right now...
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Wife won't let me watch the game, but I caught a chunk of the Indy/Jets game. Now the Colts looked TERRIBLE. Not sure how the Pack could out-do that. But I have to blame a good portion of it on the real grass, and the slop that was underneath it.

The pack is bad right now, down 21-0 in the second quarter, and they have turned over the ball like three times already. Atlanta isn't even working for it.

The Colts got behind early and mailed it in... typical Manning, though I blame a pourous defense. The turf was a joke last weekend, and even worse this week. I can't believe the NFL will allow important games to be played on that stuff.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I just saw the Pack go for it on 4th and goal and not make the TD. (Still 21-0, Falcons)
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Nice Jets game. I'm a God in my fantasy league for drafting Chad Pennington. I felt pretty safe with Kurt Warner as my #1 guy & there were basically no starters left for a backup. Boy did I luck out.

I gotta feel bad for Packers fans. I know diddly about football, let me make that clear, but I still feel bad for them. I hate to pollute your football talk with a hockey comparison, but let's say the playoffs in hockey were like this, and not a best of seven. You know what would have happened? The Carolina Hurricanes would have won the Stanley Cup over Detroit. Talk about the biggest upset ever. I wouldn't have been upset that the Old Wings lost, but come on, did any of us rooting for Carolina really think they had a chance? We hoped they did, but we knew that those stupid fucking Wings would have won. That's something I much prefer, is that to win in the playoffs you have to PROVE yourself. You have to win a series, playing every other night, travelling across the country back and forth for a month or more. Football... you play your game, you win, you take a week off, you go at it again in another week. It's one game. Every game is like a game 7 and I do realize that, but last year Colorado would have lost their series with San Jose. Ottawa would have won their series against Toronto. So Packers fans, you have my sympathy.

ETA: The Packers are out now, right? And also, there's a big difference betwen this and a game 7- in a game 7 youv'e been playing the other team every other night for 2 weeks. You've grown to hate, despise, and really KNOW your opponent. In one game for all the marbles you don't know your opponent. You don't hate your opponent. You don't know who stays the longest after practice or whatever. You just met them- there's no, or not as much, animosity between the two teams.

Sorry for mentioning the h-word in this thread. Go back to talking about your rushing yards or whatever.

But hey, I think this was a pretty coherent post for 2 am.
    Last edited by duckgirl; 01-05-2003 at 05:06 AM.

Yes, the Packers are out. And so are the Colts. In NFL playoffs, if you lose, you're gone. And after a spectacularly tight season, both of the games were complete steamrollers.

Jets 41-0 over Colts
    Falcons 27-7 over Packers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast