+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fine, probation for Tony Stewart

Fine, probation for Tony Stewart

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Tony Stewart avoided suspension Wednesday when NASCAR fined him $50,000 and docked him championship points for his altercation with Brian Vickers.

Stewart lost 25 points in the driver standings, car owner Joe Gibbs lost 25 points in the owner standings, and Stewart was also placed on probation until Aug. 18.

"This action we've taken speaks for itself," NASCAR president Mike Helton said. "Tony Stewart is well aware of what is expected of him going forward."

Stewart could have been suspended for Saturday night's race at Daytona International Speedway for his latest infraction. But NASCAR declined to park him for a race, which saves the 2002 series champion's bid for the Nextel Cup championship.

He did not immediately comment his penalty.

Vickers was knocked out of Sunday's race in California following contact from Stewart. After the race, Vickers said Stewart came up to his car window and confronted him.

Vickers said the two were discussing the on-track contact and Vickers began to laugh about it. He claimed that Stewart then reached for him inside the car and "knocked the breath out of me."
    "He hit the armrest and he reached in the car and he grabbed me in the chest and when he did hit me, it was kind of open palm," Vickers said after the race. "My team grabbed him and pulled him off of me."

Missing a race would have crippled Stewart in his bid for the Nextel Cup championship. Under NASCAR's new points system, only the top 10 drivers in the standings and anyone else within 400 points of the leader will be eligible to race for the title over the final 10 races of the season.

Stewart, who was in fifth place in the standings and 307 points behind leader Jimmie Johnson, drops to sixth in the standings after the penalty and is now 332 points back.

Had he been forced to sit out a race, Stewart would have almost certainly dropped out of the 400-point range to qualify for the title hunt.

The $50,000 fine NASCAR levied against the hot-tempered Stewart is not the largest he's received. He was fined a total of $60,000 by both NASCAR and sponsor Home Depot in 2002 for punching a photographer.
    http://aolsvc.sports.aol.nascar.com/...oma/index.html
    ______________________________ ______________________________ _____

Glad to see they hit him with a loss of points too.

He needed to be taught a lesson. Apparently fines and probation haven't changed his ways. They should have slapped him with a suspension. I really expected them to, given his prior behavioral problems.

Statements From Tony Stewart and Joe Gibbs Racing Regarding NASCAR Penalty

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla., (June 30, 2004) - NASCAR has penalized NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series driver Tony Stewart following a garage area incident with fellow driver Brian Vickers after last Sunday's race at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, Calif. Stewart, driver of the #20 Chevrolet for Joe Gibbs Racing, was docked 25 championship points, fined $50,000 and placed on probation until Aug. 18. The #20 Joe Gibbs Racing Team was also docked 25 owner points.

The following is a statement from Tony Stewart:

"I understand and accept NASCAR's penalty. With NASCAR's continued growth and their rise in mainstream popularity, I realize their rules have become stricter than they were in the past. And after meeting with Brian France (NASCAR Chairman and CEO), I know it's my job to live within those rules.

"I'm putting this incident behind me and I plan no further comments. I'm going to focus on Daytona and the remaining races before the final 10-race run for the championship."

The following is a statement from J.D. Gibbs, president of Joe Gibbs Racing:

"On behalf of everyone at Joe Gibbs Racing, we agree with NASCAR that Tony Stewart's actions after the Sonoma race were unacceptable. We understand the reason for the penalties handed down by NASCAR and we accept their decision."

http://www.joegibbsracing.com/season...ts_penalty.php

I think they should have suspended him, this isn't his first or second offense. And the fine should have been at least 6 figures.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikai
    I think they should have suspended him, this isn't his first or second offense. And the fine should have been at least 6 figures.
    I agree with you. Ah well, maybe next time, because you KNOW there will be a next time. :rolleyes

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Gee, I guess he forgot all he learned in them "Anger Management" classes

+ Reply to Thread