+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Babe Ruth's Bat For $1 Million?

Babe Ruth's Bat For $1 Million?

Ruth's Bat Expected to Fetch Over $1 Million in Auction
    Bat Used to Club First Home Run Hit at Yankee Stadium to Go on Sale in October

NEW YORK (June 22) -- The bat Babe Ruth used to hit the first home run in Yankee Stadium more than 80 years ago will be put up for auction in October.

The bat is expected to be sold for a seven-figure sum. The only two other pieces of sports memorabilia to eclipse $1 million have been the Honus Wagner T-206 card and Mark McGwire's 70th home run ball. The sale possibly could exceed the original cost to build Yankee Stadium -- $2.5 million.

"It is hard to put a value on an item of such singular importance," auction director Dan Imler said. "Ruth was a man of mythic proportions."

The public auction, by SportsCards Plus, will be held Oct. 4 in Manhattan. The bat made its public debut last August at the National Sports Collectors Convention in Rosemount, Ill.

The historic homer came in the third inning on April 18, 1923, against the Boston Red Sox before a crowd of 74,000, with nearly 25,000 more fans turned away.

"I'd give a year of my life if I could hit a home run in the first game in this new park," Ruth said before the game.

He lined a shot into the right-field bleachers, a three-run homer that led the Yankees to a 4-1 victory, prompting sports writer Fred Lieb to dub the new park, "The House That Ruth Built."

"Once the Babe homered, the fans cheered forever," said Bob Shawkey, the winning pitcher that afternoon. "Can you imagine anyone paying attention to me that day? Babe owned the day."

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/sports/ar...22161509990015
    ______________________________ ______________________________ _____

That would be cool to own but not for $1 million!

on vacation
    Wow, when it's put in the perspective of being more than it cost to build a stadium, it's kind of overwhelming. Still I wish I had that kind of money to spend, my son collects bat and that would be one saweeeet present.

1 million???thats a wayy ova priced bat

+ Reply to Thread