+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NASCAR tells drivers: We are still in charge

NASCAR tells drivers: We are still in charge

From the ThatsRacing.com site

NASCAR to drivers: We're still in charge
    By Lee Montgomery, Turner Sports Interactive June 20, 2004
    2:48 PM EDT (1848 GMT)

BROOKLYN, Mich. -- NASCAR president Mike Helton issued a stern warning to drivers and teams during the pre-race drivers' meeting at Michigan International Speedway.

Don't mess with us, we're still in charge.

Mike Helton

NASCAR has come under fire the last two races for several snafus. At Dover two weeks ago, it took 24 laps of caution to sort out scoring when the yellow flag waved during green-flag pit stops.

Later, leader Kasey Kahne and several other drivers spun in fluid on the track that had been there a lap before NASCAR waved the yellow.

At Pocono last week, after changing the procedure for opening pit road, the flagman mistakenly waved the flag to open the pits. Leader Jimmie Johnson did not pit, following what NASCAR said in the drivers' meeting. The error was not corrected.

"Don't misinterpret some of the issues we may have with any weaknesses to challenges," Helton said. "We will still police the sport, we will still police what goes on on the racetrack and we will still enforce the rules and regulations of this sport.
    ALSO
    BROOKLYN, Mich. -- Tony Stewart ducked out of the pre-race drivers' meeting Sunday morning at Michigan International Speedway, apparently disgusted with the length of the meeting.
    Complete story, click here

"Don't misinterpret anything that may be going on right now as an opportunity to take advantage of any situation. We're not going to let that happen."

Helton had told the drivers and crew chiefs that NASCAR "is what it is because of its longevity, its efforts to be correct and fair and the participants that make it up and the officials that run the races and the racetracks that entertain us and the sponsors that become involved.

"It's still the greatest form of motorsports, if not one of greatest forms of sports in this world."

Helton also said "50 years from now, as they're still having drivers' meetings at racetracks, there won't be many of us around to remember this conversation."

Helton later addressed what NASCAR perceives as too much aggressiveness on the racetrack. Perhaps referring in part to the Kevin Harvick-Matt Kenseth confrontation under caution last week, Helton said the cycle of respect between drivers is on the downside.
    ALSO
    NASCAR apologizes again after Pocono 500
    Last Lap: Credibility crisis
    Montgomery: Simple solutions to complex problems

"I think we're getting back into the bottom of that cycle where it seems like there's a lot of beating and banging going on on the racetrack that's causing aggression, that's causing cautions, that's causing things that shouldn't be caused," Helton said.

"I would suggest, drivers, that you would be more respectful on the racetrack to start with with each other. That should go a long way in a lot of what goes on on the racetrack and what we may have to get involved in."
    Sounds more to me like Mike Helton and crew can't take the heat and critisism for the massive screwups that they have done in the last two weeks and are trying to flex their muscles and bully everyone to make sure they are in power. As a fan, I have been disgusted at the way they have botched things up. What the heck is going on in NASCAR? Things ran smoothly till this year and all of a sudden they are working with their heads up their butts!!!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikai
    Sounds more to me like Mike Helton and crew can't take the heat and critisism for the massive screwups
    I agree. Helton sounded like a big baby in that little speech, he's definitely on the defensive. They really need to figure out the problems and do something about them instead of just reaffirming every week that they are "in charge".

Tony Stewart ducked out of the pre-race drivers' meeting Sunday morning at Michigan International Speedway, apparently disgusted with the length of the meeting.
    No wonder Stewart walked out, with the temper that he has. He probably was just as fed up as all of us are at the way NASCAR is totally screwing everything up. I was wondering what the deal was with him leaving the meeting early. Thanks for the info.

they made Steward start from the rear for doing that too. It seems like NASCAR got a new sponsor this year and everyone forgot how to run a racing series. Do what the drivers and writers are saying, when yellow comes out, go back to the last green lap for standings, open pit road when the leader comes by, not the pace car. They are instituting rules to appeal to the yuppie twits that are in it now and its screwing up the works.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

They are instituting rules to appeal to the yuppie twits that are in it now and its screwing up the works.

I couldn't agree more. Give me the Alabama gang, Cale, Benny, The King and those boys any day. That was racin', this crap now days just isn't as good.

Do what the drivers and writers are saying, when yellow comes out, go back to the last green lap for standings, open pit road when the leader comes by, not the pace car.
    Exactly. These new rules have me so screwed up. My husband and I spend half the race going, "why did they do that??" Just when I thought I had it all figured out...

Another thing that sucks is all of the races ending under caution lately. Like one of the commentators said, why couldn't the leaders race back to the checkered flag when caution came out on the last lap?? That rule blows. I don't know how many times the race has ended under yellow this year, but imo it's too dang many.

Ya know, I used to dislike Tony Stewart, but I can't say I blame him for walking out of the driver's meeting. I think he has had it up to here with all their antics, I don't see him staying in NEXTEL for too much longer. NA$CAR is making up the rules as they go along, and it's getting old.

+ Reply to Thread