+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Tennis - Wimbledon

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    The only good thing about the rain was that I got to see ESPN replay the Venus/Sprem match. The chair's mistake was unbelievable. The funniest thing was that after the rebroadcast, ESPN talked about previous screw ups by the guy. My favorite was the time in a clay court match where the grounds crew had chalked the court improperly so that the service line was 18 feet from the net instead of 21 and from the service line to the baseline was 21 feet instead of 18. The players apparently kept trying to indicate that something was wrong and double faulted a total of 59 times. He kept telling them to keep playing. Good thing he's done at Wimbledon.
    After that incident, I'm surprised he was allowed to continue umpiring! If he's made more than one mistake, I don't think he should be allowed to umpire at any tournament. Is he going to continue in other events? The only players that can double fault that many times without there being a fault are Elena Dementieva and Anna Kournikova. I saw an interview at this years French Open where they asked Martina Hingis how would she continue to play if she served as many double faults as Elena did and Martina replied: "You'd have to ask Anna Kournikova, I never had that problem" . I must admit that Venus handled that with grace, unlike Sprem who acted as if there was nothing wrong with her getting the extra point! :rolleyes

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic277
    The only players that can double fault that many times without there being a fault are Elena Dementieva and Anna Kournikova.
    It's amazing how they survived on court.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

More rain forecast for next week!!!
    Could be going into a third week again!

I couldn't find a channel that was brocasting the matches today, so far, but from the website I found the winners so far of the day were:

Roger Federer (1), Andy Roddick (2) (who won over Taylor Dent), Jennifer Capriati, Karolina Sprem (who beat Venus Williams, who went into a tiebreaker both sets with Meghann Shaughnessy), and Paola Suarez

I just saw the Henman-Arazi live. Whole family supported Tim. He won 7-6 6-4 3-6 6-2.

Go Timmy!

Henman never looked dominant, though, and will have to up his game considerably if he is to beat last year's runner-up Mark Philippoussis for a place in the quarter-finals.

Philippoussis beat Chile's Fernando Gonzalez.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

Im just not that into you AmandaFabulous's Avatar
    I interrupt my sickness to bring you more Andy:

Carry on.
    Look, I love me most...If I could run across the beach into my own arms, I would.

Niice Amanda. He did this nice slam dunk shot against Dent today.

Im just not that into you AmandaFabulous's Avatar
    Yeah. Y'all know what's gonna happen in here if he beats "the Fed".
    Just a warning for the guys.
    Look, I love me most...If I could run across the beach into my own arms, I would.

Oh, go ahead and beat "The Fed". I'm not a fan of that man.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic277
    After that incident, I'm surprised he was allowed to continue umpiring! If he's made more than one mistake, I don't think he should be allowed to umpire at any tournament. Is he going to continue in other events? The only players that can double fault that many times without there being a fault are Elena Dementieva and Anna Kournikova. I saw an interview at this years French Open where they asked Martina Hingis how would she continue to play if she served as many double faults as Elena did and Martina replied: "You'd have to ask Anna Kournikova, I never had that problem" . I must admit that Venus handled that with grace, unlike Sprem who acted as if there was nothing wrong with her getting the extra point! :rolleyes
    about Dementieva and Kournikova. I suspect that the umpire will never chair anything more important than a club championship match in the future. ESPN kept showing him with this ridiculous smirk on his face at the end of the match after he'd erroneously awarded the point. I'm willing to give Sprem a break. She's young and I think just doesn't get it on some level. I was really surprised at how well Venus handled the whole situation. Props to her. She deserved to be pissed as hell although as she admitted she did blow three set points even with Sprem getting the extra point.

+ Reply to Thread