+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis - Wimbledon

WOW! From Wimbledon.com

Centre Court in the late evening provided the setting for the biggest upset of this year's Championships, when the third seed and former champion Venus Williams was dramatically defeated by the 19 year-old Croatian, Karolina Sprem 7-6 (7-5 ), 7-6 (8-6) in one hour 42 minutes of high drama.

Sprem, who had come close to defeating Venus in the Berlin final last month, showed she is a star in the making by the skilful and determined way she overcame the woman who won Wimbledon in 2000 and 2001, as well as reaching the final for the past two years.

Ranked 30th in the world, Sprem was not in the least fazed by the star quality across the net from her. Venus, elegantly attired, had her game reduced to tatters eventually by the Croatian's belief that she would prevail in a match brimming with brilliant tennis, agonising errors and glorious winners.

Sprem was in the driver's seat almost from the start, breaking for a 3-2 lead in a match which produced eight breaks of serve. Venus broke back, Sprem immediately captured the Williams serve again and when the Croatian served for the set, she was broken once more.

Sprem captured the first set in 53 minutes, winning the tiebreak by seven points to five on a couple of Venus netted errors, and when she led 3-1 in the second set the excitement was intense on Centre Court. Venus fought back from 1-4 down to 3-4, only for Sprem to break again and serve for the match at 5-3. This brought out the fight of a true champion as Williams, getting everything back at full stretch, broke back once more to take it into a second tiebreak.

When Williams moved into a 6-3 lead it seemed odds-on a third set, but she missed all three set points. Sprem saved the first with a glorious forehand pass, Venus then double-faulted and another error opened the door for Sprem, who seized the chance. A Venus shot hit the tape and fell back into her court. Match point to Sprem. One of them was all she needed as a Williams forehand sailed over the baseline.
    I didn't see the match, pity no one saw the mistake, hopfully if it rains again I can catch the repeat.
    Last edited by AIWANNABE; 06-24-2004 at 05:32 PM.

In other news Martina lost after winning the first set, the final score was 3-6, 6-3, 6-3

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    I noticed the awful mistake in the Venus-Sprem match, even the commentators did. Unfortunately the line judges, the umpire and most importantly, the players were oblivious.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

In todays matches so far Serena and Roddick won. In an upset Coria lost in 4 sets after winning the first one.

Coria didn't stand much chance in winning this Grand Slam. So, it wasn't entirely an upset.

I'm watching centre court's Tim Henman winning his game against Heuberger, 7-5, 6-3, 6-2.

Go Timmy!
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

Anyone watch the Fraizer/Myskina match? Great match where Fraizer won an upset 4-6, 6-4, 6-4. Myskina did fight off 5 match points, before loosing it. Myskina(2) and Venus(3) will both drop pretty far in the rankings due to early round loses.

I didn't catch that match live. What an upset for Myskina.

Some other winners for the women so far today are Jennifer Capriati USA (7), Serena Williams USA (1), Amelie Mauresmo FRA (4), Paola Suarez ARG (9), Silvia Farina Elia ITA (14), and Vera Zvonareva RUS (12).

For the men Tim Henman GBR (5), Lleyton Hewitt AUS (7), Rainer Schuettler GER (8), Andy Roddick USA (2), Carlos Moya ESP (9), and Mark Philippoussis AUS (11).

Maria Sharapova, the seventeen year-old 13th seed, has progressed to the fourth round of the Ladies' Singles with a confident 6-3, 6-1 victory over Daniella Hantuchova.

On the mens side, R.Ginepri (27) beat J.C.Ferrero (6) 6-3, 6-4, 6-1

I'm happy for Serena, I hope she improves as the tournament progresses. I'm hoping that she can defend her title. I'm also happy for Maria Sharapova, she played a great match. With Venus and Myskina out the draw has opened up for Maria and it would be great if she can take advantage of that!

I saw the Jennifer Capriati match and the girl that she played has the loudest grunt I've ever heard, it was so off-putting! She was shrieking so loud even when she was barely touching the ball!
    Last edited by Fanatic277; 06-25-2004 at 02:16 PM.

+ Reply to Thread