+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Tennis - Wimbledon

the match between Amelie and Serena today was absolutely the highest point of women's tennis in a long time. It's definitely a classic that people will still be talking about years later. Amelie (my fav) gave one of her finest performance, and I thought she was neck and neck with Serena. She hit some beautiful backhand winners and smart volleys, and she was not bothered by her nerve anymore. What's unfortunate is that her lower back problem has come back again. Hope she'll have a full and speedy recovery.
    lalala

Quote Originally Posted by foxwitch
    the match between Amelie and Serena today was absolutely the highest point of women's tennis in a long time. It's definitely a classic that people will still be talking about years later. Amelie (my fav) gave one of her finest performance, and I thought she was neck and neck with Serena. She hit some beautiful backhand winners and smart volleys, and she was not bothered by her nerve anymore. What's unfortunate is that her lower back problem has come back again. Hope she'll have a full and speedy recovery.
    Well said! I couldn't agree more.

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic277
    I couldn't watch that much, I was too nervous for Serena! I checked towards the end of the match and was happy that Serena won, I really hope she up's her game and beats Maria.
    Yes, I hope Serena beats Maria!! Go Maria, since I want Maria to lose.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

from www.wimbledon.org
    Rain has once again intervened in this year's Championships and badly disrupted play. The covers have been on and off the courts throughout the day and very little play has been possible.

Bad weather once again intervened in this year’s Championships, with rain showers during the early afternoon disrupting today’s order of play.

Although matches were scheduled to begin at noon on the outside courts and at 1pm on Centre Court and No.1 Court, rain meant that play had to be delayed until around one o’clock on all courts. However, about half an hour after play started, the players had to come off the six courts in action today.

Frustratingly for fans, players and officials alike, the covers came on and off courts a number of times as a succession of light showers passed over the grounds. Roger Federer and Sebastien Grosjean twice got as far as the warm-up before the rain began to fall again. As of 4pm, only five full games had been possible in the men’s singles semi-final between Federer and Grosjean on Centre Court.

Although the British summer has not been kind to Wimbledon this year – the first two days of this year’s Championships suffered a number of rain interruptions, while last Wednesday and Saturday were completely rained off – the past few days have generally enjoyed blue skies and bright sunshine.

Importantly, despite the rain, Wimbledon organisers have managed to bring the tournament schedule back on target. The decision to have play on the Middle Sunday, traditionally the rest day during the Fortnight, meant that organisers could catch up on the backlog of matches caused by the two lost days during the first week.

If there is some hope for tennis fans, it is that the All England Club is planning to put a roof on Centre Court. However, this is not expected to be finished before 2009.
    I don't think I'll be able to watch the men's Semis. It'd be too late in the early morning here.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

There's been talk of a roof going on centre court for years.
    It seems to get put on the back burner every year though as the championship almost always seems to finish on time despite the delays.

I'd like for them to fit a retractable roof if possible, like on the Skydome here in Toronto.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I guess it is a Federer and Roddick Men's final. The first seed against the second.

The matches are not finished but Grosjean looks to be outclassed by Federer. 6-2, 6-3.
    Roddick just won the first set against Mario Ancic 6-3. Roddick is likely to win this semi-final match unless Mario does a "Gaudio".

Leander Paes IND and his partner Martina Navratilova USA lost to Wayne Black ZIM and Cara Black ZIM 7-6, 6-7, 13-11. I have never seen a third set have that many games.

I've seen third sets go to the 20's each in games,not in the mixed doubles though.
    "That's Numberwang!"

The rain delays may soon be a thing of the past...

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/articles/2004-06-23/200406231087997243199.html

Roof Is Centre Of Attention

Days like today at The Championships, when rain badly disrupts play, will be a thing of the past as early as 2009 when Centre Court will have a retractable roof.

The roof, long discussed, will now become a reality, with plans for work to start as early as 2006 subject to planning permission.

Tim Phillips, Chairman of the All England Club, said: “Our continuing aim is for Wimbledon to be acknowledged as the world’s premier tennis event. Centre Court has been the jewel in our crown for over 80 years and the scene of some of the most memorable drama and emotion in tennis. Our innovative plans seek to retain the history and tradition of Centre Court, but with outstanding new facilities for the players, spectators and television audiences of the 21st Century.”

The roof is part of a more extensive improvement plan for Centre Court, which includes increasing the capacity to 15,000 and more comfortable seating.

The new roof has been described as a translucent “folding fabric concertina”, which will allow enough light through to the court to retain the open-air atmosphere during play and help the grass to grow year-round. The fabric to be used is a special waterproof structural material that is very strong and highly flexible.

It will be designed to close in under 10 minutes, allowing play to continue between 10-30 minutes after the process has begun. Court coverers will still be needed while the roof closes.

This news will be happily received by the rain-soaked fans at Wimbledon today.

That's good news, I have been wondering about it for a while.

+ Reply to Thread