Closed Thread
Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 12525354555657585960616263 LastLast

Thread: Hockey , Til the next Season - whenever that is ...

It was a great tournament. Silver is nothing to sneeze at.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

JR.
    Damn you Canucks and your hockey watching ability! **shakes fist**

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    Silver is nothing to sneeze at.
    Thank you, Miss F.
    Ha Ha...Ha.

When I was watching one of the games (Sorry JR.) I realized that I'd forgotten so many of the players! I tried to figure out where they played in the NHL and I was stuck on so many occasions.

The people of London, Ontario are so freaking lucky. In a land with no NHL, we've had an amazing local team and they're a game away from winning the Canadian Championship.

Article

Perfect Knights Advance To Memorial Cup Final
    LONDON, ONT. -- The London Knights' Dylan Hunter and Robbie Schremp have one more chance to get out their baseball gloves and toss the old horsehide around.

The forwards' pregame ritual consists of a quick game of catch, and with the Knights' 5-2 victory over the Ottawa 67's last night, Hunter and Schremp have only one more game to toss the baseball back and forth -- the MasterCard Memorial Cup final on Sunday.

The Knights finished the round-robin portion of the four-team tournament with a perfect record, 3-0, to gain a spot in final. That was the goal entering the tournament because 11 of the past 12 Memorial Cup victors avoided the Saturday semi-final in winning junior hockey's prized trophy.

The semi-final is the destination of the 67's, who will meet the Rimouski Océanic tomorrow at 7 p.m. EDT. The winner will then have to dust themselves off and regroup for the final the next afternoon at 4:30 p.m.

"To be one game away from a Memorial championship, 60 minutes away, is what we wanted," Knights captain Danny Syvret said. "You can take our regular-season record [59 wins], our record streak [unbeaten in 32 games], our first league championship, we'd rather have that trophy on Sunday. It should be quite an atmosphere."

The Knights' 78th victory of the season was never in doubt before the 8,905 at the John Labatt Centre, and with the anticipation of the city's first Memorial Cup championship, the fans were buzzing in the streets and downtown bars long after the game.

The London faithful chanted "We want the Cup, we want the Cup" in the final minute.

The Knights now have a combined regular-season and postseason record of 78-9-2, but it's the 79th victory the local folks want. The Knights were born 40 years ago, but it wasn't until they defeated the 67's in the Ontario Hockey League final that the franchise captured its first league championship for the Forest City.

"It means so much to this city," Syvret said. "We were the first to win an Ontario championship and now we're one game away from a Canadian championship."

The 67's never gave themselves a chance in this game. They were horrible in their own end and gave the Knights too many power-play opportunities. After going 1-for-14 in the first two games, they scored three times in six chances last night.

"We made too many mistakes to give ourselves a chance," Ottawa defenceman Elgin Reid said. "They outworked us. Our defensive zone coverage was awful. We just had too many breakdowns."

Ottawa forward Brad Bonello preferred to blame referee Mark Hicks for favourable treatment of the Knights.

"[The Knights] go down a little bit too easy," he said. "We have to get hurt before they get called. But they're the No. 1 team in the country and they're supposed to win."

Ottawa forward Chris Hulit and London defenceman Daniel Girardi, on the power play, traded first-period goals. Then the Knights broke loose in the second period with goals from Hunter, Syvret and Perry on a 5-on-3 advantage.

Danny Fritsche scored a power-play goal late in the game. Mark Mancari, a London product, scored Ottawa's lone power-play goal earlier in the period.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.

Congrats to the London Knights for winning the Memorial Cup!

http://www.tsn.ca/chl/news_story.asp?id=126425

I echo that, Pineapple. What an amazing run. Easily one of the best teams in Canadian Junior Hockey history.

Good news? I hope so anyway.
    Link to the article

Report: NHL, NHLPA agree on cap formula

The Globe and Mail reports that the NHL and NHL Players' Association have agreed on a formula for a salary-cap system based on team-by-team revenue.

The salary-cap issue was seen as the biggest hurdle in talks for a new collective bargaining agreement.

According to the Globe's league and player sources, a salary floor and cap will based on a percentage of each NHL team's revenue. The paper adds that in the first year - based on revenue projections by both sides - the salary cap will range from $34 million to $36 million US, with the floor from $22 million to $24 million US.

The Globe also reports that the formula calls for a dollar-for-dollar luxury tax to kick in at the halfway mark between the floor and the cap. If the floor of the lowest team is $22 million US and the cap on the highest team is $36 million US, then the 'tax level' will be $29 million US.

The formula would allow wealthier teams to spend a bit more money, but would also bridge the large gaps in spending between higher payroll teams and lower payroll teams.

Small group labour talks between both sides ended late Tuesday night and resume today in New York with a larger group meeting.

Both sides have carried over the momentum from last week when 34 hours of talks were described as 'progressive' from both sides.

There are several issues to iron out, but sources in both camps believe there's a chance a deal could be done before July. Still, both sides also concede there are potential pitfalls that could prevent an agreement from being reached.

Today's session is the 21st meeting between the two sides since the season was cancelled Feb. 16.

NHL vice-president and chief legal officer Bill Daly and NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin declined to confirm or deny anything to The Globe and Mail.

Files from CP and The Globe and Mail were used for this report.

Congratulations to Cam Neely on being inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame today. Ceremony will be held on November 7. Whoo Hoo!!!
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

I forgot to add my congrats to Neely as well!

JR.
    I'm happy for him, he was so much fun to watch.

Closed Thread