Closed Thread
Page 59 of 63 FirstFirst ... 9495051525354555657585960616263 LastLast

Thread: Hockey , Til the next Season - whenever that is ...

Sadly, the bass fishing is getting better ratings than the hockey used too.

I am truly sick of seeing the WSOP over and over and over again.

ESPN is backing off and just saying the agreement is made in principle "reportedly" and they are just working on logistics. 28 game season supposedly.

I read an article about a month ago that pointed out the owners would be nuts to cancel the whole season, as nearly every endorsement and television deal they have has an automatic out clause if they lose a season. I would find it hard to believe that all of those companies would not take the option to end the deal, and renegotiate, if not walk away.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

As far as I have heard is that talks today went to hell and they are trying to just salvage next season. In my opinion that is the smarter thing to do. Don't rush the agreements, get something long term done so this crap doesn't happen again...oh and please fire Bettman.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Talks broke off at 3:30 EST with nothing accomplished, and the season still cancelled. No further talks are planned .

Gretzky and Lemieux were apparently behind todays meetings after keeping their noses out of things for the last however long. It was too little too late.

In addition to the TV deal, they do stand to lose all of the product endorsements. How stupid. I'll bet the Nike one alone was worth plenty. They knew that language was there when the deals were signed.

I guess we can look forward to more dart tournaments on the TV.

ESPN now breaking in and saying there is now no deal, and that talks have broken down again.

If it wasn't so sad, this would be hilarious.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

The fans are getting screwed so badly here. My theory is now that Bettman and Goodenow know that this impasse will obviously define their career, they're making the most of it, and trying to make this some sort of epic battle. Their interests now lie in the conflict itself and how it will be resorted (who will win) rather than any desire to have a well functioning system.
    Last edited by Zaius; 02-19-2005 at 08:13 PM.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

Zaius, I completely agree with everything you just said. The fans are the biggest losers in allof this and we get nothing in the end. The fans aren't even be considered in all these mind games these idiots are playing. I am so fed up!

eny
    FORT Fogey
    This is interesting, and explains the "deal" stories.

No great escape

Gretzky, Lemieux can't save talks
    By BRUCE GARRIOCH -- Ottawa Sun

It was the great disappointment. And, sources say, Wayne Gretzky is incensed about it. While optimism reigned yesterday when Gretzky and Pittsburgh owner/captain Mario Lemieux became involved in the latest last-ditch attempt to save the NHL season, sources say owners and players refused to budge from their previous negotiating positions.

And so, the 2004-05 season is off again -- this time, for good.

"The season was over on Wednesday and it's certainly not going to be resurrected after (yesterday)," NHL Players' Association senior director Ted Saskin said. "It's 100% certain coming out of (yesterday's) meeting that nothing could impact the cancellation of the season."

Indications were Gretzky had told associates the two sides had agreed on a $45-million (all terms US) salary cap before the session. It was believed the players' and owners' representatives would only need to work through the rest of the deal.

But sources say league officials walked into yesterday's meeting -- held in a secret New York location -- and offered a $42.5-million cap with changes that made the deal worse than the one the players would have accepted if they'd agreed to a deal last Tuesday night.

Commissioner Gary Bettman called off the season the next day. But when Gretzky and Lemieux got involved in restarting talks, it appeared there was a second chance.

Turns out there was no chance, and the Great One was not amused.

"My understanding is Gretzky is furious," said a league source last night. "He didn't go there to fail. He wanted to be playing."

"I think that both sides, mutually, tried to bargain in good faith and had extensive talks (yesterday)," Gretzky told TSN. "Unfortunately, we couldn't come to an understanding. But, as I said at the end of talks ... from the outside point of view, it looked like we made some strides, even though we're still apart. Both Mario and I encouraged both sides to keep talking."

The season ran out of lives after the two sides met for more than six hours in New York, with no progress.

"Apparently, the NHL didn't move away from their last position to meet us in any way, so one can only wonder why they called us for a meeting," said Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson, a VP on the NHLPA's executive committee."I was hoping for a deal, of course, but I'm not feeling disappointed. I would have been surprised if they managed to get a deal."

NHL VP Bill Daly said there were too many differences for the two sides to get back to playing this season and suggested the focus should now shift to next season.

In a memo to the league's 30 team owners obtained by The Canadian Press, Bettman said "the union is still intent on negotiating for more than we can afford. They put nothing new and concrete on the table."

'SHOCKED'

Senators defenceman Chris Phillips, speaking from Sweden, admitted "I'm shocked. I don't know what to say. This is really tough to take right now. We were making plans to come home and we were looking forward to getting going.

"I just think everybody thought with (Gretzky and Lemieux) in the room, they could something done. There was just so much optimism. To have this happen is hard because we all wanted to get back playing."

However, sources say hardline owners in Carolina, Chicago, Boston, Florida and Nashville refused to allow Bettman to move off his "final" offer of $42.5 million that preceded Wednesday's shutdown.

"My feeling is there a lot of hardline owners who are ruining it for the rest of the owners in the league," said Senators centre Mike Fisher from Switzerland.

Senators winger Bryan Smolinski was in shock.

"I just find this unbelievable," he said. "It's almost comical when you think about it. We were sitting around (Friday) thinking we were going to get back to playing and then they make no progress.

"That's just unreal."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...36987-sun.html

I have come up with a solution. Since hockey is being cancelled I am going to go play some. Its the first hockey day of the year out here, finally a warm day to play some hockey!

I just hope that there is hockey next year.....I can't believe the damage that has happen. Crazy!
    ---------------------
    opps....

I was just channel surfing and came across Don Cherry and Ron MacLean being interviewed. For what it's worth, Ron thinks the next season will begin in October as per usual, Don thinks we won't see NHL hockey until January 2006.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Closed Thread