Closed Thread
Page 57 of 63 FirstFirst ... 74748495051525354555657585960616263 LastLast

Thread: Hockey , Til the next Season - whenever that is ...

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    True hockey fans, like true baseball fans, will come back. That's not the point. They'vve made it so difficult for the casual fan to care. Maybe there will be a mass exodus on both sides and a rebirth of sorts. Fresh faces and ideas might help in the long run.
    Maybe they all won't go back, especially if ticket prices don't go way down. Aren't the Blue Jays still having trouble with attendence? There needs to be major changes to the game itself to get people excited again. Most folks don't want to see that god-awful trap and be forced to sit through coma inducing 2-1 games night after night. There are too many teams and not enough talent, some have to go. They also have to find a way to open the game up. It's supposed to be up-tempo, but the last few years have been like skating in sand.

Would it help if cut back a bit on all the gear the goalies are allowed to wear? I mean padding yes, of course, but freaking barn doors on their shins and arms seems a bit silly. I am amazed anyone can score against that.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Quote Originally Posted by JR.
    Maybe they all won't go back, especially if ticket prices don't go way down. Aren't the Blue Jays still having trouble with attendence? There needs to be major changes to the game itself to get people excited again. Most folks don't want to see that god-awful trap and be forced to sit through coma inducing 2-1 games night after night. There are too many teams and not enough talent, some have to go. They also have to find a way to open the game up. It's supposed to be up-tempo, but the last few years have been like skating in sand.
    Point taken. I'd just love to see some new blood and new ideas. Sometimes even just a new coach can shake up a team. I hate the trap. I can't stand watching NJ. More scoring is definitely going to draw fans in. It's the same with any sport though, isn't it? Most people would rather watch a blowout than a pitcher's duel.

And yeah, the Jays are having trouble with attendance, but that's probably due to the god-awful management that struggles to put a team worth caring about on the field. Also, with the exception of the Leafs, Toronto is a crap sports city. It cares about a winner and if you ain't winning, they don't show up.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    More scoring is definitely going to draw fans in. It's the same with any sport though, isn't it? Most people would rather watch a blowout than a pitcher's duel.
    There have been some great low scoring games with back and forth action, but they are few and far between. NJ should be beaten.

And yeah, the Jays are having trouble with attendance, but that's probably due to the god-awful management that struggles to put a team worth caring about on the field. Also, with the exception of the Leafs, Toronto is a crap sports city. It cares about a winner and if you ain't winning, they don't show up.
    Ah, I didn't know Toronto was like that. I thought the Jays used to have good attendence and figured the people never came back after the strike.

Quote Originally Posted by JR.
    There have been some great low scoring games with back and forth action, but they are few and far between. NJ should be beaten.

Ah, I didn't know Toronto was like that. I thought the Jays used to have good attendence and figured the people never came back after the strike.
    As a somewhat casual tv viewer of hockey, it really is the back and forth that keeps my attention. Watching the trap, I feel a sudden need to vacuum. As for the Jays, it's hard to tell how much it was the strike and how much it was the Toronto fans abandoning a non-winner. They won the World Series in 1992 and 1993. In 1994, they were 55-60 when the strike ended the season.

Ok... what now?

Veteran NHL star Steve Yzerman is still holding out hope for the 2004-2005 season...
    "I don't know if it's necessarily tonight, tomorrow morning, Friday night or Saturday. I know the season has been cancelled, but it's not too late to uncancel it"
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=115301

and in other news... :rolleyes

Former Colorado Avalanche forward Steve Moore has filed a civil suit against Todd Bertuzzi and the Canucks over the on-ice assault during a game in Vancouver last March.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=115295

Steve Moore... seriously... give it up. Everyone was on your side right after it happened, and now even I'M sick of you. Yes, it was bad and scary and all of that, but Bertuzzi got kicked out of the NHL and prosecuted by the RCMP. You don't need to sue! *sigh*

I think Yzerman needs to put DOWN the delusion juice and step away from the reporters.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    It was the Expos that really got canned by the strike. They were #1 and hot , and never regained the momentum. The Jays problem was just mismanagement , and nothing more. As soon as they won, they dismantled the whole team and management crew. Stupid.

Yzerman is just p'od he's going to be forced to retire, kind of sad but not really as he's in Detriot . As for Moore - Nice timing. No season = get the cash now while it's still here. Brad effing May should be the one on trial. He was the one that called for the "bounty" on Moores head.

I'm happy as I get a hockey weekend. From TSN part of hockey day:

Kingston, Ontario: Celebrity 3-on-3 Hockey Game - TSN will broadcast live segments from the 3-on-3 celebrity hockey tournament at The Market Square Feb Fest 'Limestone Classic' featuring Canadian hockey favourites Kirk Muller, Doug Gilmour and Dale Hawerchuk. The big event is expected to draw more than 2,000 hockey fans. TSN's 'Off The Record' host Michael Landsberg will be broadcasting live from the streets surrounding Kingston City Hall, interviewing players and fans. Landsberg will also be hosting special 'Off The Record' segments, putting both players and fans in the hot seat.

Ron McLean, Don Cherry and Dave Gagner, Dave Ellett, John MacLean, Wendel Clark, Mike Keane, Matt Bradley, Brendan Morrow Joe Cirella, Mike Gillis, Joe Nieuwendyk, Marty Turco, Nick Kypreos will also be here. The market square was where the proclamation of Canada as a country was read in 1867, and is a block away from where the First league games were played anywhere. They dusted off an old hockey trophy that the mayor found in city hall that pre dates the Stanley Cup, and that's what the prize is.
    Cool stuff. I'll wave if you are watching .
    Last edited by eny; 02-18-2005 at 10:39 AM.

Hmmph. :rolleyes

From Yahoo news:

Report: NHL, NHLPA agree to CBA deal
    February 18, 2005

TORONTO (Ticker) - NHL commissioner Gary Bettman may get the opportunity to embarrass himself after all.

The Hockey News reported on its website Friday that the labor meeting between the NHL and the Players Association on Saturday will result in a deal for a new collective bargaining agreement that features a $45 million salary cap.

In an official statement Friday, the union confirmed it will meet with the league on Saturday in an attempt to resolve the current labor dispute and save the 2004-05 season, which was canceled by Bettman on Wednesday.

During his news conference Wednesday, Bettman asked himself if he would be willing to suffer the embarrassment of returning to a podium to announce the reversal of the cancellation and responded, "You betcha."

Bettman may get the opportunity as soon as Saturday. According to The Hockey News, a player close to the situation believes a resolution is inevitable.

When asked whether a deal would not be reached, the player said, "Not that I can see. I couldn't possibly imagine the idea that somebody is going to try to make a name for themselves in the last minute here."

The union said on Friday it was contacted by the league late Thursday night and asked to attend a meeting in New York on Saturday.

Several Canadian websites reported the news of the meeting earlier Friday, citing undisclosed sources.

"While nothing is written in stone yet, we expect the PA in New York by the weekend, possibly as early as (Friday night)," an anonymous league executive told Rogers Sportsnet of Canada.

Sportsnet also reported Phoenix Coyotes managing partner Wayne Gretzky and Pittsburgh Penguins co-owner Mario Lemieux will take part in Saturday's negotiations. Bettman and NHL vice president Bill Daly and union executive director Bob Goodenow and senior director Ted Saskin will represent their respective parties.

The NHLPA executive committee also is expected to attend the meeting.

"We can't let this thing die when we're so close," a team executive told TSN of Canada. "We've come this far, it would be insane to lose the season over a relatively small gap."

That gap was believed to be $6.5 million, the difference between the last proposals each side presented Tuesday night. The NHL came forth with a "final offer" of a $42.2 million hard salary cap while eliminating linkage from players' salaries to league revenue.

The union countered with a $49 million soft cap. Both deals included the 24 percent salary rollback offered by the NHLPA in December.

Neither Bettman nor Goodenow dismissed the possibility of settling on a $45 million cap, but both expressed unwillingness to contact the other with such a proposal.

Both sides made considerable concessions Monday as the NHL wiped out linkage from its offer and the union backed off its hardline stance against a salary cap. But after Bettman's announcement of the cancellation of the season, both figureheads declared their offers were no longer on the table.

With Bettman's dismal announcement Wednesday, the NHL became the first North American major sports league to lose an entire season due to a labor dispute. It also ensured a Stanley Cup champion would not be crowned for the first time since 1919, when the Finals were canceled after five games due to a Spanish Flu epidemic.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...v=st&type=lgns

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Here is another one . I thought only in soap operas you were never really dead. The real unofficial reason listed for the change of heart was ESPN calling Buttman and pointing out that legally if there was no season - the TV deal was null and void. No TV contract = even less cash.

League, union to meet Saturday
    TSN.ca with files from CP
    2/19/2005

The NHL season may be brought back to life after all. Believe it or not, labour talks will resume Saturday in New York.
    "Late Thursday night the NHL requested a meeting with NHLPA representatives in New York," the NHL Players' Association said in a statement Friday night. "Today the NHLPA accepted the invitation and a meeting has been scheduled for Saturday."

New Jersey Devils CEO and GM Lou Lamoriello was relieved to hear the news.
    "I've said all along that the most important thing is coming to an agreement," Lamoriello said Friday night from his New Jersey office. "Even after the season was cancelled it was just so important to get together as soon as possible.
    "And I commend both of them for agreeing to do it. And now, get it done."

The NHLPA strongly denied a Hockey News report Friday night that a deal was already in place in principle that includes a $45-million US salary cap.

"The report is absolutely false," an NHLPA spokesman said late Friday night.

That sentiment was echoed by NHL vice president Bill Daly, who told TSN it was "entirely untrue and without foundation."

Wayne Gretzky, the managing partner of the Phoenix Coyotes, and Mario Lemieux, the Pittsburgh Penguins player/owner, have worked behind the scenes to bring the two sides back together but it wasn't clear late Friday night if they would actually join the official discussions on Saturday, but both are in New York.Either way, the two sides are back together when it looked bleak at best.

While NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow may not be directly involved, Daly and NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin will be in attendance at Saturday's meeting. The NHLPA executive committee and past players' president Mike Gartner are also expected to be in New York City for the meeting.

TSN Hockey analyst Bob McKenzie reported Friday night that one of the more interesting rumours involved Gartner. Unconfirmed reports have suggested that Gartner is working as the defacto leader for the NHLPA in these discussions as Goodenow allegedly wants nothing to do with the process. TSN Hockey analyst Glenn Healy, however, says he's hearing that Gartner's role is not nearly that significant and that Goodenow remains clearly in charge of the union.
    Healy said that two scenarios appeared to be emerging ahead of Saturday's meeting. One was a $49 million salary cap that was tied to linkage. Healy noted that this would still be unappealing to the players. The second scenario involved starting with Bettman's $42.5 million cap and increasing it by half-a-million dollars in each year of the agreement.

McKenzie said it seemed unlikely that an actual agreement in principle had been reached, but he speculated that the backroom work by the likes of Lemieux and Gretzky has probably ensured that both sides know exactly which cards will be played on Saturday. This should make negotiations less heated.

McKenzie also noted that, agreement in principle or not, Saturday's meeting is by no means a slam dunk. "Nothing is concrete," he said Friday. "There are still a lot of hurdles to mount in the negotiations."

McKenzie said that even if the sides come to an agreement on the salary cap, there might not be enough time to get the season back on track due to the number of other issues that would still need to be resolved.

Healy said he expects a deal to be put forth Saturday or Sunday that will then go to a vote on both sides. He said he thinks it will be a tough sell for players and owners, but the vote will be positive.

"I can only hope that both sides realize they owe to the game to allow common sense to prevail," veteran agent Don Meehan of Newport Sports said Friday night from his Mississauga office.
    At this point, nothing would surprise anyone given the ups and downs of this five-month lockout.

"If they're talking, that's great," Lightning star Brad Richards said Friday from Tampa. "It's been such a roller-coaster ride, I don't even know what to say. You just never know, anything is possible."

There have been rumblings of reviving talks ever since commissioner Gary Bettman cancelled the season Wednesday with players, owners and GMs burning up the phone lines and wondering how it had come to this.

"I think both sides took a step back the next day and realized 'we were that close,"' Calgary Flames superstar Jarome Iginla said Friday night from Edmonton. "And I think both sides realized that for the big hit hockey would take, maybe we needed to take another crack at it."

Talks ended Tuesday night after the NHLPA rejected the league's final offer of a $42.5-million salary cap. The NHLPA's last offer featured a salary cap of $49 million, leaving the two sides $6.5 million apart in their salary cap offers.

"I'm not surprised they're meeting again because once the philosophical obstacles were eliminated it appeared that the majority of owners and players wanted an agreement," agent J.P. Barry of IMG said Friday night from Calgary. "I think you're witnessing the wills of the majority in action. Hopefully a fair compromise is still achievable at this stage."

Privately, some players, GMs and owners all agreed $45 million was the magic number to get a deal done. But neither side picked up the phone in the last 12 hours leading up to the cancellation.

"I was really upset with the way it ended," said Iginla. "It's hard to believe that after all the back and forth, linkage, no linkage, all that stuff, that only a few million kept both sides apart."And I understand that a few million is a lot of money but in the grand scheme of things, in a $2.1-billion business and getting everyone past their principals, I would love for this to get done."

Plans have been in place for teams to play a 28-game regular season starting March 1 and there's still time for that to happen if both sides can reach a deal this weekend.

But there's no guarantee of a deal getting done.

"To get (talks) started again and still not do it, that would be a travesty," Iginla said, adding with a laugh, "I'm a young man but this is taking its toll"

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...96&hubName=nhl

Closed Thread