Closed Thread
Page 54 of 63 FirstFirst ... 44445464748495051525354555657585960616263 LastLast

Thread: Hockey , Til the next Season - whenever that is ...

KJRATLKJASDNFALKTKAMNGPSOIRETP OWETPOWR!!

That's better.

NOW. Put the damn thing to a vote. You were Mats Sundins freaking salary apart. Now there is no money for anybody. Good job, asswipes.

(the pg-13ness of that is PAINING ME)

ARGH AKEWRLJFT;KLJDFGKMNRSDTHY!!

I have a very limited understanding of this whole lockout situation....can someone shed a little more light on this?

Duckgirl---why so much hatred for Betteman?? It seems to me that Goodenow and the NHLPA are the ones that are causing the impasse. I mean, if a deal does happen, it is the OWNERS who bear all of the risk of "fans not coming" back and all that goes along with that, right? If there is a short season and playoffs, the players are guaranteed a certain amount of money, however, the owners still have to cover all of their costs(Arena, staff, player salaries, travel, etc etc).

Wayner's post really made me see red as far as the players go. These guys are harping over getting paid with money that, if I am seeing this correctly, isn't coming into the owner's pockets. What is so bad about revenue sharing and getting paid based on how good the team(i.e. "The Company") does?? Players...you are still earning SCADS of cash, doing something you SUPPOSEDLY love to do. You get treated like kings when you travel(I NEVER get to stay at the finest hotels in town, and fly on sweet-ass charters).

Like I said...I don't know all that much about the situation, but it seems to me this is solveable.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

It is was totally solveable. The two pricks won't didn't take their heads out of their asses and try to work something out.

Right now, I am angry at Bettman for the all-or-nothing rejection after the NHLPA broke and offered a cap (which, come on, 6 months late, asses). Counter propose something, have a meeting. Do SOMETHING.

Too bad it's over and the season (and the NHL) are now over and done with.

Oh well....It's DONE. It's over. I hope this means ESPN will be showing more college hoops in HD.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

R.I.P. 2004/2005 season. Please God, let there be a 2005/2006 season.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

I'm not holding my breath.

JR sums it up nicely.

Rat bastards, all of them.

A Random Foot Kitty Throw Champion PIMguy's Avatar
    To hell with them. The players make millions playing a game that I love to play (obviously not on their level) and gladly pay to do it. And forgive me but I haven't seen too many NHL owners living in a cardboard box. I know there are business considerations for everyone, but that includes me, the fan, too. My money will not go to the NHL next season (if they play). Let the NHL die, maybe the next generation can do it better.

I've got to change my avatar now.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Eny's comment about a player vote is spot on. It seems to me that the majority of the players are just at the mercy of the NHLPA leadership and don't have much - if any - say in what happens.

Ducky, I understand you're anger at Bettman. But personally, I think Goodenow is just as big a %&*$#. The players should have tossed the weasel out as their negotiator long ago. Yes, he screwed the owners and got the players sweet deals in the last CBA. But it was at the expense of the league's long-term success. In that time, the Jets and the Nordiques left Canada, and the Whalers left Hartford. Ottawa has had to be bailed out financially. The Penguins have nearly gone under. I believe the TV contract with NBC is tied to ad revenues because ratings on the ABC/ESPN broadcasts cost those networks a fortune. Yet despite all these happenings, the NHLPA and their leader continue to say that the owners are just crying poor.

One of the things (there are many) I hate abou Major League Baseball is there is little competitive balance; there is no doubt at the beginning of the season that the Royals will suck and the Yankees will be in the ALCS; the teams that spend the money other teams can't afford go to the playoffs. The free spending ways of the NHL have put them on the same course. With the exception of the Rangers, the teams that spend are the ones that have the most consistent success. Yes, teams occassionally rise up (like Calgary and Tampa Bay), but it's more rare all the time.

I consider myself a die-hard Sharks fan. I've loved watching the NHL for the last 13 or 14 years. It's my favorite sport. I used to love the NBA, but I grew tired of the players growing more and more spoiled while the quality of the game went in the toilet. I rarely watch an NBA game anymore, and I haven't actually attended a game in over a decade.

Dale Davis, a player with the Chicago Bulls and a rep for the NBA players union made a statement that illustrated why I quit on the NBA, and why I'm so disgusted with the NHL players right now. Davis basically said that every time the union meets with the owners, the players are forced to give up more and more, and pretty soon they won't have anything more to give. Mr. Davis averages 6 pts and 5 rebounds per game, and makes $12 MILLION dollars a year.

The way I feel is this: the NHL players can go screw themselves. And when the NHL resumes play, Bettman and Goodenow can, too.

Ducky, I understand you're anger at Bettman. But personally, I think Goodenow is just as big a %&*$#.
    Oh, yeah. Totally. I wasn't saying he WASN'T.

I was just angrier at that moment at Bettman.

Now they can all go find a rusty spoon and shove it somewhere. Stupid asses.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    I have to agree with Wayner. How many of you have jobs you get paid 400 grand for? That is what the worst paid player gets paid. There isn't the revenue. They can afford to pay higher wages in the other sports because the revenues are higher. DUH.

No-one gets in business to lose money. All the player posturing about the owners , hey guys why do you think they bought the teams? To make money. If they lose money they will go out of busness and instead of the 400k you will be flipping burgers. You each lost a years worth of wages. How stupid is that, especially on what is a short earning time. I don't get it , and all of this should have taken place months ago.
    Last edited by eny; 02-16-2005 at 03:35 PM.

Closed Thread