Closed Thread
Page 52 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: Hockey , Til the next Season - whenever that is ...

I thought the monkey being broken by corn chips was hilarious.

It wasn't a really hockey-based article, but oh well.

HDTV... jealous! HDTV hockey is amAZing. I'm sure football is much the same, but I totally don't watch football. (I know, I know.)

JR.
    Well, any minute now: No future meetings scheduled

[IMG]images/img/b51444-grim-reaper.jpg[/IMG]

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Every day for about two months has been the end of the season. * yawn* I think it's now painfully clear til Good&plenty and Buttman are history so is hockey. It should go to a free vote to the players. I'll bet we'd have a season.

JR.
    I had some hope when the sides were meeting without the 2 "leaders" and brought in Lamorello (sp?). Lousy bastards, this is ridiculous.

It is the same BS everyday. It is so frustrating for us. And to know there probably won't even be a season next year.

I'm listening to a Providence Bruins game on the net right now, trying to get my hockey fix. Just not the same as watching it on tv.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    I'm disgusted. I'm sure arguments can be made that both sides are to blame, but right now, I'm disgusted with the players. Their steadfast refusal to accept any kind of salary cap or system in which salaries are tied to revenues is ridiculous in the extreme.

I work in Corporate America. If my company's revenues don't grow enough, I don't get a raise - which I haven't for nearly two years and probably won't this year, either. If the company does poorly, people get laid off, as thousands in my company have over the last several years. For me to say "I don't care if th ecompany isn't doing well. I don't care if my salary causes the company to go further into the red. I don't care if my salary eventually kills my company; by the time that happens I'll have MY money." is short-sighted and simply greedy.

Yet seemingly that is the attitude the players are exhibiting through their union's behavior in the "negotiations." If the players honestly thought their salary roll-back proposal would work, then they wouldn't have rejected ownership's recent proposal to use that proposal and move to a cap structure if it didn't work. Instead, they would have suggested changing the "triggers" that would force the change to a cap. They KNOW their proposal wouldn't work.

My guess is that next season (if there IS a season) will be played by what the Union will call Scabs. I think some players may cross the line, but more likely teams will use players from the minors. And the players and union will cry foul, that these younger, less skilled players are taking money from the NHL players. Yet some NHL players are doing the same thing to the minor-leaguers now. Chelios, Draper, and Hatcher are playing for the Detroit Mechanics, taking jobs away from players who make at most $1,000.

The NFL and NBA have caps. They are fiscally sound and the players are VERY well taken care of. There is a semblance of competitive balance in these leagues, which adds to more fan interest and hence, more money for the owners and players. Major League baseball has no cap. There is no competitive balance; ever year you know the Yankees will be there and the Royals won't. Fan interest is high only in the markets that have teams like the Yankees. Teams like the Rockies, who haven't been competitive for nearly a decade, are falling apart; fans simply stop going to the park. THIS is the model the NHL players support. And is a model that could end up costing Edmonton their team, as it already did the fans in Quebec and Winnepeg.

At this point, the players sicken me. They are killing the game they claim to love. When this is all said and done, my guess is that there will be fewer teams, and they will have cost themselves jobs. And when the game DOES come back with the NHL players, the players will have lost. There will be a cap or some form of tying salaries to revenues. And my guess is that ticket sales will be down, at least for a time, which means the players, in their pursuit of maintaining an economically unsustainable system, will have cost themselves even more.

And on top of that, I can't fully enjoy my new TV. I'm awash in a sea of bitterness.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Well said Wayner. Maybe with Carly now gone you'll get your raise. Meanwhile, yawn again. The last LAST gasp.

Last-ditch effort to save the season
    Canadian Press
    2/13/2005

Gary Bettman's deadline is about to pass. A last-ditch meeting with mediators failed.
    Is it finally time to pull the plug on the 2004-05 season?

That question should be answered Monday when the NHL decides how to proceed after failing to reach a miracle agreement by the end of the weekend, the NHL commissioner's self-imposed deadline to put pen to paper on a deal.

The NHL and NHL Players' Association secretly met for more than five hours with U.S. federal mediators in Washington on Sunday but still could not make any progress.

The two sides met from 1:45 p.m. to 7 p.m. EST with the U.S. Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow were not in the meeting. Bill Daly, the NHL's executive vice-president and chief legal officer, and league outside counsel Bob Batterman were there with NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin and union outside counsel John McCambridge.

According to a statement from the NHLPA, Scot B. Beckenbaugh, acting director of the U.S. Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, requested the meeting. The two sides had met two more times with the FMCS over the course of the last year.

"Today, the parties met for the third time with FMCS officials," Saskin said in a statement. "There was no progress to report as a result of this meeting, and in fairness to the process it would serve no purpose to comment further."

Daly also released a statement, which read: "No progress in the collective bargaining process resulted from the meeting. We have no further comment."

The session definitely flew under the radar, with both sides telling media this weekend that no meetings were in the works.

The league is expected to cancel the season either Tuesday or Wednesday in New York unless something drastic happens Monday that would change Bettman's mind _ such as a phone call from Goodenow saying he's got one last offer.

There was a lot of talk among agents, GMs and players this weekend but the buzz did not translate into any substance.

There has been more talk ever since the league sent out a memo to its 30 teams Friday releasing the gag order on owners, GMs and team executives, not only allowing them to talk about the lockout to the media but also giving them the green light to reach out to players if they wanted. This would appear to be a move to circumvent the union leaders, hoping GMs could start a groundswell among their players to put pressure on Goodenow to accept a salary cap.

If there is no miracle deal, the NHL would become the first major professional league in North America to ever cancel an entire season from beginning to finish.

The meeting Sunday came on the very day the NHL had been originally slated have this year's all-star game in Atlanta. Instead, it's gone by the wayside as well as 824 of the 1,230 regular-season games. If an agreement is reached, the league has a shortened schedule ready to go that would see teams play 28 regular-season games, playing only within their conference. The playoffs would stay the same.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...77&hubName=nhl

Wayner-

Great post, man!!! I'm not a huge hockey fan, but I love to go watch games live. I am also like you....pissed that there is no Hockey on ESPN HD for me to enjoy watching it live in high def in my living room.

BOOOOO to the players.

On the other hand, I just went to a (National Champions!!) Denver University Hockey game this weekend and had a great time. College players receive NO PAY, and they played their asses off. Now THAT's true love of the game!
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Closed Thread