Closed Thread
Page 48 of 63 FirstFirst ... 383940414243444546474849505152535455565758 ... LastLast

Thread: Hockey , Til the next Season - whenever that is ...

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by eny
    The biggest winners of the the night are the Bruins with Bergeron - tournament MVP . They said most of the GMs are at the game going they didn't pick him up til the freakin 3rd round.
    He was great with the Bs last season, didn't look out of place at all. It's amazing for someone that young to be able to play the way he did.

He played with the men before he played with the boys, too. That's REALLY good.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayner
    I may actually resort to watching my local CHL (Central Hockey League) team, the Colorado Eagles. They have a good record, but the skill level is, um, well, they have one guy that played four games with the Lightning in 2000-2001. *cough*

Not being able to watch two or three NHL games every week has had this really weird side effect in my house; I'm getting to know my wife. And she's actually pretty cool.
    No Hockey is a real bummer! I am taking the kids to the AHL games now that the Flyers are'nt playing. We have the Philadelphia Phantoms here and it is OK, the seats are cheaper, hot dogs and sodas are cheaper, but, the game is real real slow compared to the NHL. I am hoping they can salvage part of the season!

For anyone who is interested I went and checked out ebay.ca and Hockey Canada is selling game worn jerseys etc. A pretty penny for them tho, Phaneuf's is at $2075 right now *ouch* with 2 days to go.

JR.
    Board of Governors meeting cancelled

NHL.com | Jan. 6, 2004

NEW YORK -- The NHL Board of Governors meeting planned for Jan. 14 in New York has been cancelled.

NHL Executive Vice President Bill Daly said there was consensus that a meeting was not necessary.

"The clubs were unanimously of the view that there is no need for a meeting at this point in time," Daly said.
    Things don't look too good.

eny
    FORT Fogey

Magazine puts Bettman on worst manager list

( surprise - surprise :rolleyes )

CBC Sports
    NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has been rated one of the worst managers in the United States by a major business magazine.

BusinessWeek magazine puts NHL commissioner Gary Bettman on its worst manager of the year list. (CP Photo)
    The recent issue of BusinessWeek ranks Bettman fifth on its list of the seven worst managers of 2004 in the U.S.

The rankings were based on submissions from the magazine's 130 writers and editors from around the world.

"Arenas have been empty since Sept. 15, when National Hockey League owners locked out the players," the magazine said of Bettman's selection.

"NHL finances are in shambles, and the weak [U.S.] TV deal signed with NBC last spring suggests the league has little leverage and is now a second-tier sport."

Bettman is joined on the list by former Walt Disney chairman Michael Eisner, Raymond Gilmartin of Merck & Co., Scott Livengood of Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, David Smith of Sinclair Broadcast Group, Howard Pien of Chiron, and Franklin Raines, who recently resigned from Fannie Mae.

BusinessWeek doesn't place all of the NHL's troubles on Bettman. It also lays blame on the league's owners who it calls an "undisciplined bunch" and "should shoulder much of the blame for wildly bidding up salaries."

The article also took a shot at NHL Players' Association executive director Bob Goodenow.

"Little prudence has been shown by NHL Players Assn. chief Bob Goodenow, who might have been wise to heed Bettman's warnings that the unsustainable rate of salary growth was undermining the business on which players depend for their livelihood," BusinessWeek wrote.

The magazine said Bettman could leap from the worst in 2004 to best in 2005 list, depending on the outcome of the NHL labour dispute.

"If the league holds out and wins a salary cap or even settles for a hefty rollback Bettman could end up looking like a shrewd crisis manager," said BusinessWeek. "But it was a crisis that should never have happened."

http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/natio...ess050106.html

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Thanks for posting that, Eny. I think the last paragraph is spot on.

Thanks for posting the article. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out though. Loser!

Oh, god. I know we aren't *really* supposed to do this, but I hurt something holding in my laughter at this quote from the TWoP Alias recap:

The only way Vaughn could look like Kovalev would be if someone slapped him around for a couple of hours with a two-by-four and then stapled a Doris Day wig to his head and threw him out onto the ice.
    Oh my god. I don't know if any of you watch Alias, but that had me rolling.

Modano: Players' resolve has a limit

Mike Madonna Speaks Out:

According to a report in the National Post, Dallas Stars centre Mike Modano feels the resolve of the players may not last through a lost season and the solidarity of the NHL Players' Association will be in shambles.

''It's going to be tough to come back in October and say that we're going to stay tough and stand firm. You're going to have guys who are saying, 'What are we doing?' '' Modano told the National Post. ''You're going to have guys chomping at the bit to get a deal done.''

Modano, who stands to lose $9 million is salary this season, went on to tell the Post that if the lockout isn't resolved by the scheduled start of next season, players will be desperate to start earning NHL-level salaries again.

''I think it has come to the point now where the owners are willing to sacrifice a year or two to fix the game for 10 or 15 years down the road,'' Modano told the Post. ''There are guys who are missing out on the prime earnings of their careers. You feel for the guys who did the same for you in 1994.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=110958

Closed Thread