Closed Thread
Page 24 of 63 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Hockey , Til the next Season - whenever that is ...

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_d
    I must have missed that! (I was watching BB5 at the time) How did he score a goal for his opponent? Did the puck deflect off his skate?
    Yeah. It happened because he was late on the play and was late going to his spot and one of the Russians (can't remember his name) saw that and just threw the puck in front of the net and it went right off his skate into the goal.

Bahahaha.

I hate Chelios.

"Amish In The City" JonasIsTheMan's Avatar
    OOOOO i can't believe it took me so long to get into the hockey topic! i just had to find it LOL I just wanna say that the Vancouver Canucks are my favourite team and its good to see a significant number of them in the World Cup. Chubarov looked good on Russia today. Besides Canada I'm routing for Finland...beat Germany 3-0? With Kipper in net...they'll be plenty more shutouts! GO RUUTUS!
    "After all the backstabbing they've done, those PANSIES can't handle backstabbing themselves." - Jonas P. Kurtz

Jay
    Russia is a very, very good team. Tomorrow night's Canada vs Russia game is going to be awesome.

Best defenceman ever canadian_d's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay
    Russia is a very, very good team. Tomorrow night's Canada vs Russia game is going to be awesome.
    I can't wait!! I hope Canada can make it three consecutive wins! Besides Canada, I am rooting for Sweden. They have a lot of talented players on the team. I like Finland as well... but mainly because of Kipprusoff.
    "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from indomitable will."

Jay
    Canada's defence is getting thin with the loss of Jovanoski and Redden. Bouwmeester gets his first start tomorrow night. I hope he will be able to handle the speedy and talented Russian forwards.

Best defenceman ever canadian_d's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay
    Canada's defence is getting thin with the loss of Jovanoski and Redden. Bouwmeester gets his first start tomorrow night. I hope he will be able to handle the speedy and talented Russian forwards.
    I was sad when Redden got injured. I am quite confident that Bouwmeester will be fine tomorrow night. Despite his lack of experience, he's a pretty good defence overall.
    "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from indomitable will."

I was actually surprised they put in Hannan over Bouwmeester last game. They need the young guys getting experience now and I personally think Boumeester is a better D, with a ton of potential. Now that Keenan is running the show in Florida, hopefully he trades Bouwmeester to us for Sopel and a Jock strap.

Well, I don't think we need offensively minded d-men on the team since well, look at our offense. Also, Foote is doing well offensively. So Hannan, who is a great stay-at-home d-man, is a good fit. I hope he plays all remaining games, instead of being out when Redden is back in.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Czech Rep VS Germany 7-2 this aft . Yeah I'm a sad case. I watched it. It was hockey. The Czechs finally found some of their pride and started to play. Jagr who had dissed the whole world cup tourney , actually got off his butt and played a bit. We had a deep discussion as to why the Germans suck so much at hockey. They are surrounded by hockey hotspots. They have the right climate. What gives?

Anyway enjoy the World cup. From TSN Not looking good for the season.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...29&hubName=nhl

NHL, NHLPA end 19 hours of talks
    Canadian Press
    9/2/2004

MONTREAL (CP) - The NHL and NHL Players' Association ended 20 hours of talks over three days Thursday, seemingly as far apart as ever in their labour impasse.

The two sides scheduled an extra session Thursday morning, meeting for about three hours to finish off the NHLPA's request for information into the business practices of the league's 30 clubs.
    There is talk of another meeting next week in Toronto, but neither side seemed optimistic.

``There has been no change in the approach from the NHL, they are still only interested in negotiating a (salary) cap system which provides us for no reason for optimism and no basis for any real progress,'' NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin said on a conference call.

``I can't report any progress,'' said Bill Daly, the NHL's chief legal officer and executive vice-president.

Daly remained frustrated with the NHLPA, although not as hot under the collar as he was last week in Ottawa when he charged the union with putting on a ``charade,'' wasting time with its 30-team discussion.

The NHLPA began the team-by-team queries Aug. 17 in New Jersey after officially rejecting six new proposal from the NHL, continuing the painstaking discussion at two days of meetings last week in Ottawa and this week in Montreal.
    ``We finished the process they initiated and we participated in it co-operatively and openly, but again, we're dubious as to the value of the process,'' said Daly. ``We'll take them to their word that it was meaningful from their perspective.''

The NHLPA insists it is engaged in an important dialogue that will eventually lead to a proposal from its side, likely some form of luxury tax system.

``(This week's meetings) were successful in the sense that they were productive, there was a good exchange, good information shared, philosophies discussed, the league was very involved,'' Saskin said.

``Hopefully this general discussion will allow us to maybe re-frame the issues in a way that makes sense,'' he added. ``But there's really no cause for optimism when they've made it really clear in the room that they are determined to get a salary cap system and they're going to start a lockout until they can get one.''
    The current collective bargaining agreement, twice extended over 10 years, expires Sept. 15 at midnight, the day after the World Cup championship game at Air Canada Centre in Toronto.

``They've not communicated to us that they intend to make a proposal, but we were given assurances yesterday that there was a reason that we were going through this process so we anticipate a proposal might be coming,'' Daly said.

``And we expect and hope that that proposal might be meaningful and will address the concerns that we've identified.''

The NHLPA will likely introduce a proposal based on a luxury tax, which the league is expected to reject, triggering a lockout.

``They seem to continue to get frustrated when we don't talk about salary caps,'' Saskin said. ``But they're going to have to take a more compromising approach if we're going to get a deal done.''

Owners appear ready to fight for a system that guarantees them cost control, having put aside more than $300 million US in case of a lockout.

``They're very determined to get a salary cap and they know that's something they can't negotiate with us,'' Saskin said. ``The only way they think they can obtain one is by triggering a lockout and putting economic force on the players so that they would agree to something they could never negotiate with them.''

The current collective agreement has seen salaries grow from an average of $733,000 in 1994-95 to $1.83 million in 2003-04. League-wide revenues have also risen during that span, but the NHL says not at the same pace. In fact, the league says it lost just under $300 million in 2002-03.

Meanwhile, Saskin addressed Philadelphia Flyers centre Jeremy Roenick's suggestion of a form of salary cap on individual players within the clubs.

``I just read the press report on it, he wasn't suggesting an overall cap but I guess some individual limits on individual players or some slotting system, I know that it doesn't represent the views of anyone in our membership,'' Saskin said.
    ``But we're an open membership with 700 people, we don't fine people when they make comments like the owners do.''

Closed Thread