+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Belfastgirl
    Astrogirl, try www.bbc.co.uk and go to the Euro 2004 section. They show match highlights, although you'll probably need broadband to view them properly.
    Great, I have broadband, I will check it out. Thanks Actually the game is coming up on Fox Sports world, so I will watch the whole thing when it comes up. Does anyone know if the games are webcast somewhere? For the world cup they were webcast on yahoo, you had to play something like 20$ but then you could see all the games. I'd pay the 20$.

No webcasts that I know of.

A company called Setanta has exclusive rights to broadcast the Euro 2004 in the U.S. $179 for whole tourney -or- $19.95 for each group game/$24.95 for each subsequent game. You can purchase those packages through cable or satellite pay per view.

The exception to that is Fox Sports World which will only broadcast the following games live:

Thursday June 17: Croatia vs France 2:30 PM ET
    Friday June 18: Italy vs Sweden 2:30 PM ET
    Monday June 21: Switzerland vs France 2:30 PM ET
    Tuesday June 22: Denmark vs Sweden 2:30 PM ET

I think a variety of channels will broadcast games not-live but I don't know which.

The only thing on the net that I have seen you can do is follow text commentary and live statistics on the official site (and other sites) www.euro2004.com.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    The Russians went on to lose the game 2-0
    Ya, Portugal!!! (They didn't show the match here, but read re-caps, seemed like a good match

I'm still in a funk about having to pay to watch...I love to watch futbol but I am not doing 20 bucks per game. Fox sports world is a subscription channel for me.

I'm glad to be able to come here and read what's going on, but the fact is, I don't know any of the teams, players etc. I just LOVE to watch the game. I'm going to go sulk some more
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Totti Gets Three Match Ban

Quote Originally Posted by ESPNSoccernet
    LISBON, June 17 (Reuters) - Italy forward Francesco Totti, one of the biggest names at Euro 2004, has been banned by UEFA for three matches for spitting at Denmark's Christian Poulsen, his lawyers said.
    European soccer's governing body ruled on Thursday that Totti had been guilty of 'gross unsporting conduct' after viewing video evidence from the Group C game in Guimaraes on Monday which ended 0-0.

Totti, looking serious, left the building without comment after a hearing lasting more than three hours in a Lisbon hotel.

The disciplinary committee hearing came after the Danish Football Association (DBU) made an official complaint to UEFA following the release of images showing the Italy forward clearly spitting in the face of Poulsen. The 'prosecutors' had asked for a four-match suspension.

The ban, which means Totti will miss the remaining two Group C games against Sweden and Bulgaria, and the quarter-finals if Italy get that far, is a serious blow for the Azzurri, who were among the pre-tournament favourites.

Coach Giovanni Trapattoni has built his team around the Roma captain, allowing him a free role, and he must now swiftly restructure his side in time for the game against the in-form Swedes in Porto.

The incident is also a major blow to the image of Italian football which had hoped to put their bitter exit from the World Cup two years ago well behind them.

The Italians were knocked out in the second round of the World Cup to co-hosts South Korea in a controversial golden goal defeat in which Totti was sent off for diving.

Then Totti was seen as the innocent victim of Ecuadorian referee Byron Moreno whose alleged bias towards the Koreans was seen as part of a plot to keep Korea in the competition, according to many Italians.

But this time there has been little sympathy anywhere for Totti whose status in Italian football is comparable with that enjoyed by David Beckham in England or Ronaldo in Brazil.

The official Italian team brochure produced for Euro 2004 describes Totti as 'a symbol of Italian football worldwide' and the forward has several lucrative sponsorship deals.

The Totti case recalls an ugly incident at the 1990 World Cup when Dutchman Frank Rijkaard spat at German Rudi Voeller during a match in Milan.
    I mentioned this incident the other day.
    This is not good news for Italy, but imo, the ban is fully deserved.
    Completely disgusting.
    I haven't seen the incident yet, even though I watched the match, so I don't think it was a s blatant as the Rijkaard repeated gobbing at Voeller, but even so he's getting what he deserves.
    "That's Numberwang!"

The BBC has a good set of Euro web pages for anyone wanting to keep up to date with the results, team news etc.

Euro 2004
    "That's Numberwang!"

Thanks fluffster! obviously I didn't see the spitting incident, but agree that a ban was deserved. That's just wrong.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_cool
    Ya, Portugal!!! (They didn't show the match here, but read re-caps, seemed like a good match
    They showed it here. On cable, blue.

I mentioned this incident the other day.
    This is not good news for Italy, but imo, the ban is fully deserved.
    Completely disgusting.
    I haven't seen the incident yet, even though I watched the match, so I don't think it was a s blatant as the Rijkaard repeated gobbing at Voeller, but even so he's getting what he deserves.
    I agree. It was unacceptable bahaviour on his part. According to the pictures taken, it was clear that he spat at the Danish player, Christian Poulsen.

Best of luck today, England. A whole lot of fans have high expectations after their first match heartbreaking defeat against France.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

Eww, yuck.
    He really hawked one at him by the looks of it.

By rights I should hate that thing the long haired players do with their hair but of course I love it.
    How girly of me.
    Totti had a bizarre ponytail/braids combo the other day, that alone was grounds for a yellow
    "That's Numberwang!"

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    Eww, yuck.
    He really hawked one at him by the looks of it.
    It looks quite a spitful. I've never knew Totti to be the tempermental one.

Totti's pigtails

I hated how Beckham had his long hair and thankfully he finally cut it before Euros.
    Last edited by unexplained; 06-17-2004 at 12:35 PM.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

+ Reply to Thread