+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2004

It's so frustrating to not be able to watch the games At least I still get my amateur and youth fix How are the refs doing...I've haven't heard much about controversy yet. I'm still routing for the Netherlands I wanted the win over Germany.
    All the world needs a common thread, soccer, soccer, soccer
    TASAIL !!! ETHAN still #1!!! DISC Go Jon & Kris on TAR

Quote Originally Posted by unexplained
    If they could sneak in a draw, it would spell trouble for the host, Portugal since the Portugese side lost to the Greeks in the opening match.

I'd really like to see Portugal in the Quarters or even the Semis. I adore the coach, Scolari, and players like Deco from Porto and Cristiano from Manchester United add spark to the final stages of the Euros.

Edited : Wow, fluff, Greece did equalised in the 67th min with a Charisteas goal. Right after Spain replaced Morientes with Juan Carlos Valeron.
    Greece did so well.
    My husband's PA is Greek and was all down in the dumps until they got the equaliser. (Yes, they are watching the matches in the office )
    Great performance.
    They didn't let their heads drop at all.
    Last edited by fluff; 06-17-2004 at 07:47 AM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by ref guy
    It's so frustrating to not be able to watch the games At least I still get my amateur and youth fix How are the refs doing...I've haven't heard much about controversy yet. I'm still routing for the Netherlands I wanted the win over Germany.
    I'm watching the Portugal v Russia game at the moment.
    The officiating team is from Norway and the ref sent off the Russian goalie for handball outside his 18 yard area.
    It looked pretty dubious from one angle, as though he was trying to get his arm out of the way, but then a little more like an obvious handball from another.

Nothing beats the German guys handball in the match against Netherlands.
    That made Maradonna's "hand of God" look subtle.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    I'm watching the Portugal v Russia game at the moment.
    The officiating team is from Norway and the ref sent off the Russian goalie for handball outside his 18 yard area.
    It looked pretty dubious from one angle, as though he was trying to get his arm out of the way, but then a little more like an obvious handball from another.

Nothing beats the German guys handball in the match against Netherlands.
    That made Maradonna's "hand of God" look subtle.
    I'd love to see a replay of the goalie "intentional use of hands". I attended a national level training class and the issue was discussed. Factors such as does the keeper know he's outside the penalty area and his hand position even if he does not move them during the shot were among the circumstances discussed. If he knew he was outside the area and moved them to play the ball, it would seem to be a good send off, otherwise it may be very questionable. At least in the USSF's opinion. Thanks for the update.
    All the world needs a common thread, soccer, soccer, soccer
    TASAIL !!! ETHAN still #1!!! DISC Go Jon & Kris on TAR

I listened to Denmark-Italy on the radio (internet radio), because I didn't know that Fox Sports Network actually showed the game. Now my TiVo is poised to tape the rest of the games they show. Does anyone know if Fox Sports Network are showing any other games than the group games?

We have to beat Sweeden. We just have to. It is an old rivalry and it is the most important game in the tournament for Denmark.

Go Denmark!

I thought Denmark were very unlucky in that game astrogirl, they had the edge imo.

Bad news for Italy is that Totti is looking at a disciplinary hearing for spitting at one of the Danish players, disgusting git.

He could miss at least one match, which is not good for Italy as he is their midfield play maker.
    A Danish tv crew caught the spitting on tape apparently which is why a complaint was lodged after the fact.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by ref guy
    I'd love to see a replay of the goalie "intentional use of hands". I attended a national level training class and the issue was discussed. Factors such as does the keeper know he's outside the penalty area and his hand position even if he does not move them during the shot were among the circumstances discussed. If he knew he was outside the area and moved them to play the ball, it would seem to be a good send off, otherwise it may be very questionable. At least in the USSF's opinion. Thanks for the update.
    I was so busy trying to decide whether he intentionally handled that I didn't notice how far out of his area he was.
    I don't think he was too far outside, and it is possible that he might not have been aware of his exact position.
    Hopefully I can catch it on a replay at some point to see how far out of the area he was.
    I think it;s just instinct for a goalie to have his hands in a "save" position

The Russians went on to lose the game 2-0, but actually held on pretty well for a long time.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I thought Denmark were very unlucky in that game astrogirl, they had the edge imo.
    Yeah, it's cool though, we can beat the other teams in the group. Denmark is _the_ tournament team. We might barely qualify, but when all the players live together and work together for the duration of the tournament, the team gets a lot better.

Bad news for Italy is that Totti is looking at a disciplinary hearing for spitting at one of the Danish players, disgusting git.

He could miss at least one match, which is not good for Italy as he is their midfield play maker.
    A Danish tv crew caught the spitting on tape apparently which is why a complaint was lodged after the fact.
    I read all about it in the Danish news-websites. I hear that italien fans are actually writing to Danish news websites to apologize for it. Not that they need it, it was the mans own damn fault. But nice to know that even the fanatic Italian fans know where the line is. Danish fans have a very good reputation for being non-violent and good sports and excellent to party with, so maybe thats why the Italians are being nice.

Astrogirl, try www.bbc.co.uk and go to the Euro 2004 section. They show match highlights, although you'll probably need broadband to view them properly.

Oh, thanks for that link Belfastgirl.
    I'll check it out even though I saw the matches.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread