+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Euro 2004

Penalty shootouts are not popular in Europe.
    The TV commentators here were not happy with the refereeing. Ian Wright called the ref a "homer." Not sure what he mean't exactly. Either Homer Simpson or more likely he favoured Portugal, the home team. Reckon he'll be villified in the papers today.

I don't have any problem with penalty shoot outs, even considering the fact that England doesn't fare too well in them.
    The match has to be decided some way and I can't really think of a better way.

I love Ian Wright, particularly when his goal celebration was to re-enact the Paolo DiCanio ref push. Classic
    "That's Numberwang!"

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    When it comes to dishing out the flak and apportioning the blame no one will care that it was saved though, Zaius, it'll be "Beckham Misses".
    "Beckham Can Score with Rebecca Loos But Not For England" etc.etc.

I'm sorry England supporters. Portugal took this one, not without much excitment too.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

No fear, Poppy's here Poptarticus's Avatar

Viewing invitation (Sweden vs Holland)

I have ordered the match between Sweden and Holland for tomorrow if anyone in the SE MN area would like to join me for viewing.

My place is a total wreck, still unpacking from a move and recently flooding, but hey...free soccer right?

PM me if interested.

Damn Greece beats France 1-0. I am 0/2, I need Sweden to win tomorrow cause I made a bet. I hope the Czechs take it all now, but wouldn't mind seeing Sweden or Greece win it either.

Can't believe it! France out, beaten by Greece!!
    Who's next to fall I wonder!

Well Greece played harder than France, and they played the best strategy possible they could against them: multiple layers of defense, constant challenging, explosive counter-attacks. Greece deserved to win the game.

One thing that bothers me though is Greece's time gaining maneouvers at the end of the game. That is just plain mean spirited. For example a Greek player suddenly fell to the ground apparently in excruciating pain. A French player kicked the ball out of bounds in fairplay. After 2 minutes elapsed and the Greek player was miraculously healed, the Greeks decided to wait an extra couple seconds and then hammer the ball on the far right of the field to gain even more time, instead of chipping it out of bounds in the same place the French player originally chipped it. I've seen this multiple times in other games too and it really bothers me, as the referee never gives as much injury time as was actually wasted on the field.

Anyhow, Kudos to Greece, but I'll be cheering for Czech Republic/Denmark in the semis!
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

I'm really happy that Greece beat France

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    Well done to the Greeks. Worked hard to get through.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

Sweden 0 - Netherlands 0

Going into penalty kicks and I have money on this so Sweden better win.

Round 1: Kallstrom (Sweden) - Scores
    Round 1: Vanneestellroy (Dutch) - Scores
    Round 2: Larrson (Sweden) - Scores
    Round 2: Hest (Dutch) - Scores
    Round 3: (Sweden) - Misses (Over the top)
    Round 3: (Dutch) - Scores
    Round 4: Ljunberg (Sweden) - Scores
    Round 4: Gorgo (Dutch) - Misses (Post)
    Round 5: Helmsman (Sweden) - Scores
    Round 5: Makaay (Dutch) - Scores
    Round 6: (Sweden) - Misses (Save)
    Round 6: (Dutch) - Scores

$*** I just lost money

+ Reply to Thread