+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Euro 2004

Dammit, England loses

caught by the window MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    In a van down by the river!!!... watching the Canucks on my 3" TV
    RICARDOWNED!

damn

he makes the only save of the shootout... then scores the best and most important goal of the shootout on the next kick...

that was ownage

I still wholeheartedly hate penalties as a way to decide matches...

but the team that deserved it more won

I'm sad that England lost. I didn't get to watch the game though. (I was at the dentist)

During the extra time, my dish lost signal...

And miraculously worked again at the very end of the match. I have never had one problem with it in years.

That's ****ed up.

Anyhow, I thought that England was robbed of a goal and I supported Portugal. The refferee said "push", but I saw that replay 20 times and saw no push.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

Never even bothered watching the penalties. It's a fact that England can't deal with penalty shootouts. I hope Vassell isn't treated like a leper as previous penalty missers were. Still England didn't play well after Rooney went off injured.

I love penalties to decide matches, although I'm not sure why they got rid of the Golden Goal.
    There is nothing more exciting than being on the winning end of a penalty shoot-out, not that that happens too often for England.

It's pretty sad when a midfielder and a centre forward can't score penalties and a centre back and full back step up and get one each.

I think Beckham might get more stick back home than Vassell, considering he also missed one agaisnt France.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Well technically, Beckham nailed the one versus France, but Barthez made a really great save.

But yah, I agree he will get flak for that.
    -- Unknown

When it comes to dishing out the flak and apportioning the blame no one will care that it was saved though, Zaius, it'll be "Beckham Misses".
    "Beckham Can Score with Rebecca Loos But Not For England" etc.etc.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by Clipse
    Dammit, England loses

Thinking back on penalty kicks as a way to seperate two sides that have drawn for 120 minutes, I have mixed feelings.

On one hand it is little more than an elaborate coin toss. The best player might miss, the worst player might score. The goalie might guess the right side to dive to and the right height, but then again he might not. I'm generalizing this of course, but there is quite an element of chance in it.

On the other hand though, penalty kicks are the most thrilling spectacle there is (at least to me). Having all the players anxiously watching as their teammate walks down from the middle of the field to the penalty spot, places the ball on the spot, steps back, knowing tens of thousands of people (in the stadium) and millions more (on TV) are watching, then accelerates towards the ball and PAH, lets it fly...that's exciting stuff.
    -- Unknown

+ Reply to Thread