+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Euro 2004

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    The German coach left after the Germans lost out to the Dutch to reaching the Quarters.

from http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/040624/2/4ln2.html

ALMANCIL, Portugal (Reuters) - Germany coach Rudi Voeller has resigned after the three-times world and European champions were knocked out of Euro 2004.

Germany drew their first two group matches, including a 0-0 result with debutants Latvia, before going down to the Czech Republic 2-1 on Wednesday in Group D. The Czechs were playing their second string team.

The 44-year-old Voeller said the national side needed a new start before the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

"I have the feeling that only someone who is untarnished and has a certain credibility -- like I had four years ago -- can do the job over the next two years," he told a news conference.

Voeller told team officials overnight and they had asked him not to make a hasty decision.

"He told us it was not a spur-of-the-moment decision taken just after the game. We regret this decision very much but we have to accept it," said German federation president Gerhard Mayer-Vorfelder.

Voeller had a contract until the World Cup in 2006. His predecessor, Erich Ribbeck, resigned after Germany were knocked out of the 2000 European Championship in the first round.

Ottmar Hitzfeld, recently sacked by Bayern Munich, is favourite to replace Voeller. Greece manager Otto Rehhagel and Christoph Daum of Turkey's Fenerbahce are also in the frame.

A World Cup winner as a player in 1990, Voeller restored Germany's pride with a surprise run to the 2002 World Cup final where they lost to Brazil.

POOR RUN-UP

Germany struggled to qualify for Euro 2004 and suffered a poor run-up to the tournament, including a 5-1 thrashing by Romania.

Voeller was jeered by German fans after the Czech defeat and was close to tears in the post-match news conference.

"There was too little yesterday," Voeller said, referring to the match. "I had it in my head already that I would probably not go on.

"It would be fatal to hang on to the job and carry on regardless. "I told the players last night 'Life goes on'."

Voeller is the first coach to fall on his sword at the European Championship. However, the coaches of two other traditional powers who were knocked out in the first round, Spain and Italy, could lose their jobs in the next 36 hours.

Inaki Saez, the coach of Spain, has tendered his resignation, according to media. Italy coach Giovanni Trapattoni could have his contract ended when his country's soccer federation meets on Friday.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

Voeller was a great player and I thought he would have had more success as a manager.

Germany just weren't on song for these championships.
    The one thing you could always be sure of when playing a German side is that they were "grinders", they'd just keep plugging away and eventually get a result.
    They seemed to have lost that, which is hardly surprising after so many personel changes over the past couple of years.
    There is talent there, but they didn't seem to gel too well as a team.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Trapattoni out of a job.
    Much is always expected of Italy and the manager is in danger of losing his job if they don't deliver.
    Not even making it out of the group stages is a major disappointment for Italy.
    "That's Numberwang!"

England over Portugal
    Greece over France
    Sweden over NEtherlands
    Czech over Denmark

WOO HOO GO ROONEY! MY MAN!

It doesn't matter that you all like the Czechs, Denmark is still going to win! We play much better when we play really good teams.

My picks are :
    England over Portugal
    Greece over France
    Sweden over the Netherlands
    Denmark over Czech

England leads 1-0 in the first half. Owen broke out of his slump and scored in the 3rd minute.

Unfortunately they had to take Wayne Rooney out for an ankle injury.
    Log off. That cookie sh*t makes me nervous. --Tony Soprano

So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" --Homer Simpson

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    England is up 1-0 against Portugal after the first half.

Oh, by the way, the English players are putting on the black arm bands because an English fan was killed outside a Portugese bar.
    England make formal request to commemorate slain fan
    LONDON (AFP) - England players made a formal request to wear black armbands for their forthcoming Euro 2004 quarter final clash against Portugal.

Sven-Goran Eriksson's side made the request to UEFA - European soccer's governing body - in remembrance of Stephen Smith who died Tuesday after being stabbed by a Ukrainian pickpocket in central Lisbon.

Sky Sports reported that a spokesman for the Football Association (FA) had asked Uefa for permission as a mark of respect for the 27-year-old supporter.

The attack took place after England beat Croatia 4-2 to book a place in the last eight of the tournament.

Portuguese police said the Briton had been stabbed in the heart and died of his injuries after being taken to hospital in the Portuguese capital.

The request to remember the slain fan comes after another stabbing, this time of a 19-year-old England fan, who was stabbed in the neck early Wednesday in Portugal's southern Algarve region, police said.

The youth is being treated in hospital but is out of danger, national police commissioner Alexandre Coimbra told a press conference.

The circumstances of the stabbing in the town of Portimao were not yet clear, and the assailant has not been arrested or identified.

Earlier in the tournament England supporters clashed with riot police in the coastal resort of Albufeira and dozens of British nationals were deported by the Portuguese authorities.
    Last edited by unexplained; 06-24-2004 at 04:04 PM.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

What a great goal by Owen.

I wish they had bought Heskey on for Rooney.
    I prefer him to Vassell.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Portugal has equalised.
    "That's Numberwang!"

England just had a Sol Campbell goal disallowed.
    Not a good omen considering what happened last time that occured.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread