+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: WWE

Re: WWE

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl;2453159;
    All I'm saying is: should we just forget about the legacy of this man's career, the years of entertainment that he brought to all of us because of a desperate act of weakness? I think not. I don't think we should forget what he did, either, but I don't think it's right to erase any existance of him, either, for the sake of saving the company's "reputation."
    Yes. He didn't discover a cure for cancer, he was a professional wrestler. Nothing, nothing he has done in his lifetime was good enough to override the fact that he smothered his 7-year-old son.

As far as the steriod thing goes - the WWE reaps what it sows. Professional wrestlers have admitted to using them, and there has been deaths and permanent injuries because of their use. Steroid use is open and tolerated, and it's irresponsible of them to throw up their hands and insist that Benoit was tested a few months ago and that this tragedy can't be related to his steroid use.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Yes, but the authorities have already said that while the steroids were found in the home they WERE NOT and COULD NOT be related to the cause of death! We don't know that steroids were in Chris's system at the time and until we do, we need to stop assuming that they were! If the results come back that he was under the influence of steroids when he did this, then I may be more apt to change my opinion about the whole thing. I'm not valuing his life over the life of a child. I think it's horrible what he did. But I still feel that there were just some major issues going on in his life that he just couldn't handle anymore.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl;2453344;
    Yes, but the authorities have already said that while the steroids were found in the home they WERE NOT and COULD NOT be related to the cause of death! We don't know that steroids were in Chris's system at the time and until we do, we need to stop assuming that they were! If the results come back that he was under the influence of steroids when he did this, then I may be more apt to change my opinion about the whole thing. I'm not valuing his life over the life of a child. I think it's horrible what he did. But I still feel that there were just some major issues going on in his life that he just couldn't handle anymore.
    I'm sorry, but I have read or heard nothing by any authorities that steroids are not related to the cause of death. What I have heard is that they don't know yet, and won't until the toxicology results are in.

I feel there are major issues going on in any murderer's life that they just can't handle any more. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be judged, at least it doesn't mean that to me. I just couldn't survive in a world where murderers are free to do as they will because there are things in their lives that they can't handle any more, and society isn't allowed to judge them.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Nilesgirl...you misunderstand. I'm not saying the tragedy was due to steroid use, I'm commenting on the WWE's statement that they tested Benoit for drug use a short time ago and their assertion that the murders cannot be due to "'roid rage".

It's irrelevant to me whether or not he killed his family while under the influence. After reading more about the crime (which I did originally think was due to drug use) I'm less inclined to blame substance abuse.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;2453354;
    I feel there are major issues going on in any murderer's life that they just can't handle any more. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be judged, at least it doesn't mean that to me. I just couldn't survive in a world where murderers are free to do as they will because there are things in their lives that they can't handle any more, and society isn't allowed to judge them.
    I think there is a vast divide between not judging, and allowing murderers to be free to do as they will. When a story like this happens, its human nature to draw conclusions about the people involved, assume things about a person's character and personality, and mentally fill in the blanks that exist in the story. I believe that is the kind of judgement that Nilesgirl is talking about -- judging a person's heart if you will. To me, that is quite separate from the legal system running its due course to investigate a crime and ensure that justice is served. As I see it, that is a difference between judging a person (which we should try to avoid) and judging an action, which the justice system must do.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl;2453344;
    Yes, but the authorities have already said that while the steroids were found in the home they WERE NOT and COULD NOT be related to the cause of death!
    It was the WWE that said that, not law enforcement. Check out the article at the Journal-Constitution here. (Registration may be required.)

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2453362;
    As I see it, that is a difference between judging a person (which we should try to avoid) and judging an action, which the justice system must do.
    I judge people all day, every day. It's how I decide which merchants to utilize. It's how I hire employees. It's how I choose my friends. It's how I decide who to elect. It's how I function, day in and day out, and I'd never dream of avoiding it.

I don't feel guilty for judging what was in this guy's heart. I don't give a crap what was in his heart, he killed his wife (who evidently put up a fight) and his own flesh and blood, a helpless 7 year old boy.

That's the bottom line. Whatever was in his heart wasn't good, at least not in my book. And, I don't feel one ounce of regret for having reached that conclusion, and having judged him.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

MyFox Colorado | 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin's Ex-Wife Claims Abuse, Steroid Use

'Stone Cold' Steve Austin's Ex-Wife Claims Abuse, Steroid Use
    Debra Williams reacts to the Chris Benoit murder-suicide
    Last Edited: Tuesday, 26 Jun 2007, 10:29 PM MDT

"He did them, I saw him do them!" said Debra Williams, ex-wife of the World Wrestling Entertainment star Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Ms. Williams says, "The domestic and drug abuse is out of hand in the WWE and something needs to be done about it."

Williams had been married to Steve McMichaels, the one-time Chicago Bear football player. When she first began working with the Atlanta-base World Championship Wrestling organization.

When that group was acquired by WWF now WWE, she divorced and married Austin.

"In the last ten years, 60 wrestlers under age 45 have died... all in the prime of their lives. Big strong men, who somehow die with little or no investigation of the organization that encourages performers to use muscle enhancing drugs," said Williams.

Steroids have been linked to the deaths of several professional wrestlers in recent years. Eddie Guerrero, one of Benoit's best friends, died in 2005 from heart failure linked to long-term steroid use.

The father of Curt "Mr. Perfect" Hennig blamed steroids and painkillers for Hennig's drug overdose death in 2003. Davey Boy Smith, the "British Bulldog," died in 2002 from heart failure

that a coroner said was probably caused by steroids.

The WWE, based in Stamford, Conn., issued a statement Tuesday evening saying steroids "were not and could not be related to the cause of death."

But "roid rage" is common among those who take the drugs to make their bodies bigger and stronger.

Ms. Williams claims she and Nancy Benoit's stories are very similar.

Both sought help from law enforcement because of domestic abuse. In 2003, Benoit sought a divorce from Chris Benoit saying he physically abused her, she also asked the courts for a restraining order. Williams did the same thing on the third occasion when she says she was attacked by ‘Stone Cold.’

Williams says, like Benoit, Austin all but forced her to write a letter to authorities saying her complaint was a mistake. But in Williams’ case, the courts put Austin on probation for a year. In return, Ms. Williams was placed under a gag order, forcing her to remain silent about the "dark side" of professional wrestling, filled with drugs, booze and domestic abuse.

"If only I had spoken up sooner, maybe Nancy and her little boy would be alive today... that's why I'm going public now, something has to change!"
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2452409;
    I can appreciate this sentiment as a matter of personal taste. But looking at it in the media world we live in, I don't think it is a reality in practice. I remember either the night, or the night after Peter Boyle died, the cast of Everybody Loves Raymond was on Larry King talking about their memories of him, and how much they'd miss him, in a personal tribute. When public / newsworthy figures die, it's standard practice for programs such as Time and Again on MSNBC to air the episode they have in the can about that person the night that it has happened. Very quickly after Ronald Reagan died, C-Span re-aired some of his most memorable speeches. More to the point, all the TV networks have video obituaries in the can for all major public figures right now - ready to be edited with information about the person's death and put on the air.

I can understand why some in the viewing public would prefer not to watch any sort of tribute immediately after a person has died. But I'm not sure that is a majority opinion, or else the airwaves would not be flooded with such tributes immediately following a notable death.
    Not sure I buy that logic. Media outlets have those things in the can because they understand that people can have a ghoulish fascination about dead celebs. But the mere fact that people will watch doesn't make it right. I mean the majority of people probably want free music and movies, but is it right to download that stuff without paying?

Arguments here HAVE convinced me that indeed media outlets DO tend to hold insta-tributes and that what the WWE did was not that unusual. But does that make it right? I still don't think so.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

My daughter told me she heard he was giving HGH to his son because he was so small, even dwarf like. I found that mentioned in this article. That is so wrong.
    The Denver Post - Benoit clued WWE on killings
    Benoit clued WWE on killings
    By Greg Bluestein
    The Associated Press
    Article Last Updated: 06/27/2007 11:56:28 AM MDT

Fayetteville, Ga. - Two days before he and his family were found dead in an apparent murder-suicide, pro wrestler Chris Benoit told co-workers his wife and son had food poisoning and were throwing up, according to World Wrestling Entertainment.

Benoit strangled his wife, suffocated his 7-year-old son and placed a Bible next to their bodies before hanging himself with a weight-machine pulley, authorities said Tuesday.

Authorities offered no motive for the killings, which were spread out over the weekend and discovered Monday. No suicide note was found.

On Saturday, Benoit called a co-worker to say he had missed a flight and would be late for a wrestling event in Texas, WWE said in a timeline posted Tuesday on its Web site. The co-worker said Benoit sounded tired and groggy and said "I love you," which the co-worker found "out of context," WWE said.

When a co-worker who usually travels with Benoit called him later from the Houston airport, Benoit told the co-worker his wife, Nancy, was throwing up blood and that his son, Daniel, also was throwing up. Benoit said he thought it was food poisoning, according to WWE.

After Benoit talked to a WWE Talent Relations representative, the representative suggested Benoit try to make it to a pay-per-view event in Houston since he would not be able to make it to the live event in Beaumont, Texas.

But early Sunday, two co-workers received a series of text messages from the cell phones of Benoit and his wife. Most stated his home address in Fayetteville, about 20 miles south of Atlanta.

One message from Benoit's phone said: "The dogs are in the enclosed pool area. Garage side door is open," according to WWE.

The text messages led WWE to ask authorities to check on Benoit and his family.

District Attorney Scott Ballard said the messages appeared to be an attempt by Benoit to get someone to the home to find the bodies after his suicide.

Investigators found anabolic steroids in the house and want to know whether the muscle man nicknamed "The Canadian Crippler" was unhinged by the bodybuilding drugs, which can cause paranoia, depression and explosive outbursts known as "roid rage." "In a community like this it's bizarre to have a murder-suicide, especially involving the death of a 7-year-old," Ballard said. "I don't think we'll ever be able to wrap our minds around this." He said Benoit's 43-year-old wife was killed Friday in an upstairs family room, and her feet and wrists were bound and there was blood under her head, indicating a possible struggle. Daniel was probably killed late Saturday or early Sunday, and his body was found in his bed, the district attorney said.

Benoit, 40, apparently hanged himself hours later, Ballard said.

His body was found in a downstairs weight room hanging from the pulley of a piece of exercise equipment.

The prosecutor said it appeared the wrestler remained in the house for up to a day with the bodies.

The boy had old needle marks in his arms, Ballard said. He said he had been told the parents considered him undersized and had given him growth hormones.

"The boy was very small, even dwarfed," Ballard said.

Toxicology test results may not be available for weeks or even months, Ballard said. As for whether steroids played a role in the crime, he said: "We don't know yet. That's one of the things we'll be looking at." Benoit received drug deliveries from a Florida business that sold steroids, human growth hormone and testosterone on the Internet, according to the Albany County, N.Y., District Attorney's Office, which is investigating the business, MedXLife.com.

Six people, including two of the pharmacy's owners, have pleaded guilty in the investigation, and 20 more have been arrested, including doctors and pharmacists.

The WWE, based in Stamford, Conn., issued a statement Tuesday saying steroids "were not and could not be related to the cause of death." "The physical findings announced by authorities indicate deliberation, not rage," the company said, adding that Benoit tested negative April 10, the last time he was tested for drugs.

Steroids have been linked to the deaths of several professional wrestlers in recent years. Eddie Guerrero, one of Benoit's best friends, died in 2005 from heart failure linked to long-term steroid use.

The father of Curt "Mr. Perfect" Hennig blamed steroids and painkillers for Hennig's drug overdose death in 2003. Davey Boy Smith, the "British Bulldog," died in 2002 from heart failure that a coroner said was probably caused by steroids.

Associated Press writers Debbie Newby and Jason Bronis contributed to this report.
    Last edited by Unklescott; 06-27-2007 at 09:25 PM.

+ Reply to Thread