+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: WWE

Re: WWE

The WWE has had tributes for other Wrestlers that have died.
    I have no issue with that.

The question is, did they have these tributes the same day the death was reported, especially when the facts were incomplete and unknown?

When you work with someone and they die people need closure and a way to express their feelings of loss no matter what the circumstances.
    Again, I agree. But are people READY for closure before the news has even sunk in?

All of this is simply bolstering the argument that they should have waited. Nobody here yet, that I've seen at least, is debating that typically a tribute would be entirely appropriate for a Superstar who dies. Or that people might need closure at some point no matter what. It's the timing being debated more than the act itself.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I remember the tribute they did for Eddie and it was quickly after he was announced dead it may have been the same day or the next. I really don't remember. As someone who has lost more than a few people, yes some do find the need to remember that person and talk about the good memories as a way to ease the pain. These wrestlers spend more time together than they do with their families so it is going to be hard on them and sometimes talking helps alot.

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl;2452249;
    At the time the tribute show aired, they didn't know anything other than they were dead and that a gun was not used. It wasn't until much later that it came out that it was suspected that it was a double murder-suicide. Regardless of how it happened, Chris Benoit was still one of the greatest wrestlers of his time and deserved a tribute to showcase some of his most memorable moments. We have to remember, obviously there was something deeply wrong with him for him to feel so desperate that he had to go to these lengths. We may never know what that was and it's not for us to understand why he did what he did. The only thing we need to consider is clearly, he was very emotionally unraveled. This was probably building up for a very long time if he was constantly "holding everything together" and not talking to someone when something was bothering him. He was like a pressure cooker that was ready to explode. I'm not condoning what he did. I think it's terrible. But at the same time, he clearly needed more help than any psychiatrist would ever be able to give him. I for one am not going to judge him for what he's done. I'm a firm believer in "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone". I'm not bible-thumping or trying to make this a religious debate. I'm clearly stating that it's not for me to judge Chris for the terrible things that he has done. In my heart, I forgive him and I know that others will follow in time. I hope and pray that Chris and Nancy's families will be able to forgive in time as well. God Bless the Benoit family.
    Well said Nilesgirl. I feel what you are saying. When I first heard the news of his death yesterday I was hoping that what happened wasn't what turned out to happen. It is a tragedy that happened and as outside viewers we will never know for sure what transpired.

There was nothing wrong with the WWE presenting a tribute to a very popular member of their community when they heard about his death. They celebrated the Chris Benoit personality and person that they worked with. It would have been worse if they had gone on with their "death" of McMahon storyline or expected the wrestlers to perform that night.

One of the people that I work with went to high school with Chris and she is in complete shock about what happened. We were talking about it today and she said many times that she couldn't believe what the news was saying, that Chris was not that kind of person. It's all just a very sad and tragic happening.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I have seen some other disturbing news...though its not been confirmed...I've provided the link to the entire article but I've put in quotes and highlighted the part that I find disturbing.....

Link Here

The prosecutor said he found it "bizarre" that the wrestler spread out the killings over a weekend and appeared to remain in the house for up to a day with the bodies.

Ballard said Benoit had sent two text messages to acquaintances, one saying that his wife and son were sick. The other, to a neighbor, said the door to the house was open and that the pets were outside. The prosecutor said the messages appeared to be an attempt to get someone to the home to find the bodies after his suicide.

The boy had old needle marks in his arms, Ballard said. He said he had been told the parents considered him undersized and had given him growth hormones.

"The boy was very small, even dwarfed," Ballard said
    Huh? What???? You've got to be kidding me.........
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2452744;

All of this is simply bolstering the argument that they should have waited. Nobody here yet, that I've seen at least, is debating that typically a tribute would be entirely appropriate for a Superstar who dies. Or that people might need closure at some point no matter what. It's the timing being debated more than the act itself.

In the years that i watched this show( I no longer), They've always honored a fallen co-worker as soon as it's known. It happened with Eddie Guererro, and with Owen Hart. I don't think that they could've ignored the Elephant in the room or try to subside it with a line or two. We're all pretty much learning what happened at the same speed. Tonight, McMahon addressed the recent development and said that all tribute stuff had been removed from the site and that it wouldn't be aired, which tells me that had their been prior knowledge of what's coming out now his reaction would've been the same one he showed tonight. I think it's odd the way the lives of some wrestlers have ended.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;2452986;
    I don't think that they could've ignored the Elephant in the room or try to subside it with a line or two. We're all pretty much learning what happened at the same speed. Tonight, McMahon addressed the recent development and said that all tribute stuff had been removed from the site and that it wouldn't be aired, which tells me that had their been prior knowledge of what's coming out now his reaction would've been the same one he showed tonight..
    I'm as willing as the next person to think the world of Vince McMahon. But what this tells me is nothing about what is coming out now. It just tells me that Vince McMahon's employees may have had some early (over the weekend) hints, and he doesn't want his show to be jeapodized.

I don't really think ill of WWE (put in a horrible PR position) or any idividual encompassed by this. But they should just shut up for at least a few days. How hard is that for them?

So, in my mind, old Vince would be serve himself, and his employees better if he'd just shut his mouth, and let the story unfold. Then he can put a twist on it, if he'd like. There really is no need for him to keep any up-to-the-moment commentary going, and he isn't responsible for anyone else's actions. He should just shut up, for now.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba-Jo-Lyn;2452866;
    One of the people that I work with went to high school with Chris and she is in complete shock about what happened. We were talking about it today and she said many times that she couldn't believe what the news was saying, that Chris was not that kind of person. It's all just a very sad and tragic happening.
    High school is a world away from where Benoit was at the time of the murders and he apparently is(was) "that kind of person "now. Whether it was premeditated or whether he just snapped or whether it was drug induced doesn't matter much to me. He did it. Great athlete or not, great entertainer or not, great person or not, it doesn't begin to excuse what he did.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I've been following this story and was shocked along with everyone else. I don't normally watch wrestling but my husband puts it on sometimes when nothing else is on and we want a laugh at their outlandish behavior. What Benoit did was horrible. What the WWE is doing now is horrible. They are so intent on covering their butts that the only thing they can say about it is that it was not "roid rage" and list all of the reasons why. It would be nice if they would just take the high road and say something about their condolences to the family and fans. I'm sure this won't bring the WWE down or make them change their policies on travel and steroid use, but it has opened my eyes to the horrible life these wrestlers have. I won't ever watch again. Rest in peace, Nancy and Daniel.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;2453137;
    I've been following this story and was shocked along with everyone else. I don't normally watch wrestling but my husband puts it on sometimes when nothing else is on and we want a laugh at their outlandish behavior. What Benoit did was horrible. What the WWE is doing now is horrible. They are so intent on covering their butts that the only thing they can say about it is that it was not "roid rage" and list all of the reasons why. It would be nice if they would just take the high road and say something about their condolences to the family and fans. I'm sure this won't bring the WWE down or make them change their policies on travel and steroid use, but it has opened my eyes to the horrible life these wrestlers have. I won't ever watch again. Rest in peace, Nancy and Daniel.
    As we all know, it's standard practice for the media in a story like this to drive the story into the ground, covering every single angle they can come up with. One of the most obvious, and easiest, angles for the press to take is looking at steroids, which leads to the accusations that have been leveled towards the WWE in the past for pushing steroids on their wrestlers. Personally, I think there are some valid criticisms to target the WWE, and the steroids issues is one of them. However, I think it's worth pointing out that the WWE is not exactly defending themselves publicly here for no reason at all. The press is on the attack, with the WWE as their target. I don't blame anyone who is a target of the press for standing up and presenting a defense.

Okay, another possibilty is that he could've had some anti-psychotic meds. A friend of mine is bi-polar and when she's off her meds, she can get very violent. One time (before they knew she was bi-polar), she just snapped and started chasing her sister with scissors. Another time, she almost jumped off her 3rd floor porch at her parents' house. This is what happens with Chemical Imbalances which is what they're saying is a possibilty with Chris. (That there was some sort of Chemical Imbalance). If you have something like that and you don't take your meds, you can get very violent against someone you would never normally be violent against. Until the toxicology results come back in a few weeks that tells us whether he was definitely on steroids, we need to stop assuming that he was! As I said before, none of us were there when he did this. None of us were there the weeks leading up to it so we don't know what transpired that led him to commit these horrible acts. As I said before, I'm not condoning it, I'm merely saying that we can't pretend to know why he did what he did. As someone said very eloquently only 2 people know why he did this. Chris Benoit and God. And only one person has the right and/the authority to judge him. And he is being judged now. I did it again. I'm starting to turn this into a religious debate. Sorry. All I'm saying is: should we just forget about the legacy of this man's career, the years of entertainment that he brought to all of us because of a desperate act of weakness? I think not. I don't think we should forget what he did, either, but I don't think it's right to erase any existance of him, either, for the sake of saving the company's "reputation."
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

+ Reply to Thread