+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: WWE

FORT Fogey

Re: WWE

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2452390;

But lets say they didn't even suspect. My contention is that even if Chris Benoit WAS the golden hero people expected him to be, that an insta-tribute was improper. Again, this may be my particular peccadillo... but I don't think so. I think nostalgia without a proper interval is disgusting. I don't often use strong absolute words like "disgusting", but to me, in this case, it fits. It may not have come off like that to everyone, but to me you need the cushion of reflection (and for friends and fans some healing time and time for proper grief), before you wax nostalgic.
    I can appreciate this sentiment as a matter of personal taste. But looking at it in the media world we live in, I don't think it is a reality in practice. I remember either the night, or the night after Peter Boyle died, the cast of Everybody Loves Raymond was on Larry King talking about their memories of him, and how much they'd miss him, in a personal tribute. When public / newsworthy figures die, it's standard practice for programs such as Time and Again on MSNBC to air the episode they have in the can about that person the night that it has happened. Very quickly after Ronald Reagan died, C-Span re-aired some of his most memorable speeches. More to the point, all the TV networks have video obituaries in the can for all major public figures right now - ready to be edited with information about the person's death and put on the air.

I can understand why some in the viewing public would prefer not to watch any sort of tribute immediately after a person has died. But I'm not sure that is a majority opinion, or else the airwaves would not be flooded with such tributes immediately following a notable death.

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl;2452405;
    Yes, this past Sunday was Vengance. Apparantly, Benoit called the offices and told them that Daniel was "coughing up blood" hence the "personal reasons" JR mentioned when explaining why Chris wasn't there. It's now looking more like Nancy was killed some time Friday, Daniel some time after that and then Chris hung himself hours, but no more than a day, after killing Daniel. Thanks to GERWECK.NET
    Frankly, if that information is true, then it makes the crime even more cold-blooded (if that's even possible). It sounds like Benoit initally may have been considering covering up the murders.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I just watched the police and District Attorney's combined press conference. The wife was bound, hand and foot, and died first, sometime Friday. They believe the son died Saturday morning, and that Benoit died later on Saturday. There was no suicide note. One bible each was found next to the wife and the child. Steroids, along a large number of legal prescription drugs were found in the home.

There was a mention, but no detail, of the divorce filing the wife had brought and withdrawn in 2003. (Details are easily available elsewhere, however.)

It may take several weeks to get the toxicology reports back.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

I agree, Krom. No matter what the circumstances were at the time that decision was made, it was too soon and should NOT have proceeded. They easily could have waited a week to see how everything played out. It's almost like they rushed to do it in order to put a positive spin on the incident before the truth was known - especially if it turns out he was on steroids. Now that they've done their tribute to him, they don't have to spend one second of footage on him from here on out. Failing to do anything would mean they are condemning his actions, and if it turns out steroids played a part in his behavior, the spotlight turns on...the WWE itself, for encouraging the type of look that can only be achieved by lifting with the right "stack". By rushing to put up a tribute before the dirty details come out, they can wash their hands of him. Isn't that convenient?

Networks have the ability to yank an episode at the last minute. I remember a season finale of Buffy that involved a lot of death to her graduating class. They ended up pulling the episode because it was scheduled to air (as I remember) a few weeks after the Columbine tragedy. They showed it a few weeks later.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

That's what they did with a storyline with OLTL as well. There was originally supposed to be a story where one of the characters went postal on his classmates but they pulled it and scrambled to change it at the last minute in light of the VT massacre. I still stand by what I said earlier, though.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2452412;
    Frankly, if that information is true, then it makes the crime even more cold-blooded (if that's even possible). It sounds like Benoit initally may have been considering covering up the murders.
    This information, applied to the behavior of a sane person, would indicate some level of desire to cover up the murders. However, Nilesgirl spoke eloquently upthread about the likelihood of a sane person doing something such as this. When you consider what it would mean for a person to kill two people, and remain in the house for two days with the dead bodies, presumbaly untouched, I'm not sure that I buy that would be the behavior of a sane person. That lack of sanity may very well have been caused by steroids, or some other chemical imbalance that was more self-inflicted than a natural disorder. But I'm not sure that an assumption of sane, rational behavior can be placed on his actions in order to guess what his motivations may have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2452495;
    This information, applied to the behavior of a sane person, would indicate some level of desire to cover up the murders. However, Nilesgirl spoke eloquently upthread about the likelihood of a sane person doing something such as this. When you consider what it would mean for a person to kill two people, and remain in the house for two days with the dead bodies, presumbaly untouched, I'm not sure that I buy that would be the behavior of a sane person. That lack of sanity may very well have been caused by steroids, or some other chemical imbalance that was more self-inflicted than a natural disorder. But I'm not sure that an assumption of sane, rational behavior can be placed on his actions in order to guess what his motivations may have been.
    That's the case, isn't it, in most instances where a similar set of circumstances are found? In other words, was it OK to judge Scott Peterson? Clearly, he has mental issues, how about this guy in Canton - something off with him, too. What's the difference, except that the latter two didn't kill themselves along with their 'loved ones'?
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;2452512;
    That's the case, isn't it, in most instances where a similar set of circumstances are found? In other words, was it OK to judge Scott Peterson? Clearly, he has mental issues, how about this guy in Canton - something off with him, too. What's the difference, except that the latter two didn't kill themselves along with their 'loved ones'?
    I don't think there really is a difference. I don't believe that I implied that there was a difference. If I did, it was not my intent.

I have watched WWE since the days of WWWF and I may not like Vince Mcmahon however he has nothing to apologize for. The WWE has had tributes for other Wrestlers that have died. Chris may or may not killed his wife I really don't know and will not judge until all the facts are in. When you work with someone and they die people need closure and a way to express their feelings of loss no matter what the circumstances. If this was a family member I would feel sorrow for the circumstances and pray for his soul but I would never let the good memories and times be forgotten.

I can't believe what's been found out as of now about this. I find it very interesting how quickly the WWE has changed their opinion and the way in which they are handling this. I noticed today on the website they were far more concerned about making sure people don't associate this event with steoids than with what has actually happened. While I agree that jumping to any conclusions is never appropriate, but is it really necessary to have a 5 point explanation on why steroids should not be mentioned in any way at this time.

+ Reply to Thread