+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: WWE

FORT Fogey

Re: WWE

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;2452189;
    I'd think if they had enough time to edit together a tribute AND the WWE were the ones who reported the suspicious text messages to the police, they had enough to go on that would have proven that the better part of caution was to not air a tribute just yet. If it turned out that Benoit wasn't a child and wife murderer, then there's all the time in the world for an appropriate tribute. Otherwise, WWE could eat the loss of the air time and USA could air three episodes of Law & Order like they do every other night.
    But USA would be eating that loss too. USA sells advertising in the WWE -- advertising that targets an audience quite different from their Law and Order audience. They are bound to deliver those ratings to the advertisers, and would not have by airing something else. Depending on how USA's ad revenue is coming in for this quarter, it is very possible and likely that USA would have held the WWE to their contractual obligation to deliver programming.

This just in: Reports now are saying that Benoit strangled his wife and smothered his son before hanging himself in his weightroom. That's from http://www.thebostonchannel.com/tu/5pTcYGXC4.html> (Is this link okay to post?)
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2452196;
    But USA would be eating that loss too. USA sells advertising in the WWE -- advertising that targets an audience quite different from their Law and Order audience. They are bound to deliver those ratings to the advertisers, and would not have by airing something else. Depending on how USA's ad revenue is coming in for this quarter, it is very possible and likely that USA would have held the WWE to their contractual obligation to deliver programming.
    Perhaps, but it did not have to be tribute style programming - and, that's really the key issue. If they had time to cobble together a tribute, they had time to cobble something else together, too.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;2452203;
    Perhaps, but it did not have to be tribute style programming - and, that's really the key issue. If they had time to cobble together a tribute, they had time to cobble something else together, too.
    They have "Best of" reels on file for all the top wrestlers. They use them to produce the videos and what not that they sell. So it didn't take a lot of work to cobble something together. Yes, they could have aired a tribute to another wrestler, event, or whatever. But I'm willing to bet that if they'd done the night as "The best of The Rock" and then it came out today that they three had been murdered by an intruder, or that the circumstances around the deaths had been something different, then people would be saying it was tasteless to just ignore the man's death on the show.

As I said, to me, the timing of when the WWE learned the circumstances of the deaths is critical. It's reasonable to assume they'd get information sooner than the rest of us. But it would not be far fetched if they did not learn the details from the police before the show aired last night.

At the time the tribute show aired, they didn't know anything other than they were dead and that a gun was not used. It wasn't until much later that it came out that it was suspected that it was a double murder-suicide. Regardless of how it happened, Chris Benoit was still one of the greatest wrestlers of his time and deserved a tribute to showcase some of his most memorable moments. We have to remember, obviously there was something deeply wrong with him for him to feel so desperate that he had to go to these lengths. We may never know what that was and it's not for us to understand why he did what he did. The only thing we need to consider is clearly, he was very emotionally unraveled. This was probably building up for a very long time if he was constantly "holding everything together" and not talking to someone when something was bothering him. He was like a pressure cooker that was ready to explode. I'm not condoning what he did. I think it's terrible. But at the same time, he clearly needed more help than any psychiatrist would ever be able to give him. I for one am not going to judge him for what he's done. I'm a firm believer in "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone". I'm not bible-thumping or trying to make this a religious debate. I'm clearly stating that it's not for me to judge Chris for the terrible things that he has done. In my heart, I forgive him and I know that others will follow in time. I hope and pray that Chris and Nancy's families will be able to forgive in time as well. God Bless the Benoit family.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Really? Because the story I read suggested it was a case of "'roid rage" and that he used steroids. I'm all about sympathy for the truly mentally ill, but have no sympathy for someone who committed such an act under the influence of drugs he knew to be dangerous.

Pro wrestler Benoit killed wife, son, then self - Other Sports - MSNBC.com
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I've said my peace. I won't judge.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2452099;
    I think it's incredibly inappropriate to have any kind of a "tribute" to a man who killed his wife and his seven-year-old child. My stomach is churning thinking about what that little boy suffered while his mom was laying dead in the family's living room. At least it looks like the WWE has pulled any kind of "tribute" off their website.
    You and I seem to be in the minority on this. [Oh wait, some others have piped in after you made your post...]

But my objection to the tribute was more that they precipitously did it without waiting to find out the facts. Even if early indications and information given to them didn't in any way indicate the possibility of murder, it seems to me they put their foot into it, because I think its never proper or tasteful to appeal to nostalgia when the body isn't even in the ground yet.

I'm NOT saying he didn't deserve a tribute EVER, or recognition of his role in a sport, I'm saying that in my opinion you do that after a tasteful interval.

And I agree that WWE had no choice but to fill that spot with SOMETHING to live up to their deal with the USA network. But contractually I bet they would have been allowed to air a repeat, with a promise to replace the "new" show with an extra added onto the season total. That's got to be fairly standard--the ability to pre-empt shows when needed. And its not like USA WANTS a scandal. They don't. It would have been in their best interest to agree, and I can't see that they wouldn't have.

Right. A simple repeat on an entire previous broadcast. Like they've shown a thousand times before in the off-season.

Again, I don't mean to minimize anyone's feelings of appreciation for him, or joy in his sportsmanship, or anything like that. Its all about timing and judgment. I think they used bad judgement. This has nothing to do with HIM--its more to do with at least my own personal notions of respect. Tributes seem false to me without proper reflection, and I don't think you gain that overnight.

The fact that the respectful interval I'm talking about would have also given them time to get more information about the facts of his death is just another reason, but a lesser one. It was just plain wrong to "pay tribute" without that distance people need to put things in perspective, and that's regardless of whether he was a saint, or the devil himself.
    Last edited by Krom; 06-26-2007 at 04:04 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

LG.

in my mind, there is a pretty significant difference between judging someone's choices and airing a tribute of someone suspected of murdering his wife and son. It's appalling that they aired a tribute when the circumstances around his families deaths were suspect. Ratings are not an excuse for poor judgment. I think they should have aired Law and Order or Airplane! or anything other than wrestling last night when 1.) it was WWE officials who had received the disturbing text messages that sent the police to investigate in the first place and 2.) by the time it aired last night it was clear that they were looking into the possibility that Benoit was involved in the deaths of his family. I can't celebrate the career of a murderer. I know OJ played in the NFL and Blake was an actor and whatnot, but once you cross the line and take someone else's life, you're not entitled to a parade and fanfare anymore. I'm frankly pretty icked out seeing Benoit in nilesgirl's avatar in so many posts. I know, your choice, but OMG, to picture him killing his own son with his bare hands - *shiver* I have kids, and if someone killed me and my kids, I'd sure hope they wouldn't air a big tribute to them. Once something like this happens, it colors everything else in his life that came before it. I can't watch Phil Hartman clips anymore without remembering that his wife killed him (and herself) with their kids in the house. Hartman was the victim, not the murderer, but still, it changes everything he touched in my eyes, even his guest voice appearances on the Simpsons "you may recognize me from such educational films as . . ." I got sad when I saw Richard Jeni in an airing of Punchline last weekend, and he just killed himself and didn't involve anyone else. I cannot condone a tribute for someone who killed his family, even if the network didn't know that as a concrete fact but knew that it was a possibility that was being investigated at the time. Air something else, anything else, and if it turns out later that he wasn't the one, then air a tribute. They had enough reasons to think that a tribute wasn't a good idea, but pushed it through in record time anyway to capitalize on ratings.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2452324;

Right. A simple repeat on an entire previous broadcast. Like they've shown a thousand times before in the off-season.
    Have they changed wrestling now so that there is an off-season and repeats? They did not have an off-season back when I used to be a regular viewer.

+ Reply to Thread