+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: WWE

Re: WWE

Sorry about the double post...

Here is a picture, nilesgirl, but it is pretty big. It's a nice picture, nonetheless...

Currently Loving: Mystery from The Pickup Artist
    Currently Excited About: The modeling competition that I'm in! Wish me luck, guys...
    *Runner Up in the Kyle XY Caption Contest! Whoo!*

Never mind about the pic. I found one. I will miss Chris Benoit so much. My heart is breaking into a million pieces over this whole thing. It's too surreal. Too senseless. I can't imagine who could've done this to them.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

FORT Fogey

It has been a long time since I watched WWE on a regular basis, but I was utterly shocked when I heard this news tonight. Nilesgirl, I can appreciate what you're going through right now. The WWE is one of those unique entertainment venues where the stars are fictional characters to a degree, but they're built on the real people who work as the performers. So fans do become more invested in the people because through their characters, you do have more of a connection to them as people. My heart goes out to all who are mourning this shocking loss, including you.

There's very few wrestlers who's deaths have affected me this way. Owen Hart was one, Eddie Guerrero another and now Benoit. Oh, Miss Elizabeth's death had me in tears, too.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

From what the news is saying, they believe that he killed his wife and son during the weekend and then later killed himself. I'm having a hard time feeling much for him if that is the case. If someone else did it, I'll eat my hat. But if not, how in the world could you shoot your child?

Wrestler Benoit, wife and son found dead - Yahoo! News

FAYETTEVILLE, Ga. - WWE wrestler Chris Benoit, his wife, and son were found dead Monday and police said they were investigating the deaths as a murder-suicide
    Detective Bo Turner told television station WAGA that the case was being treated as a murder-suicide, but said that couldn't be confirmed until evidence was examined by a crime lab.

The station said that investigators believe the 40-year-old Benoit killed his wife, Nancy, and 7-year-old son, Daniel, over the weekend, then himself on Monday. A neighbor called police, and the bodies were found in three rooms.

Lead investigator Lt. Tommy Pope, of the Fayette County Sheriff's Department, told The Associated Press the deaths were being investigated as homicide, and that the causes of death awaited autopsy results on Tuesday. Pope said the bodies were discovered about 2:30 p.m., but refused to release details.

The house is in a secluded neighborhood set back about 60 yards off a gravel road, surrounded by stacked stone wall and a double-iron gate. On Monday night, the house was dark except for a few outside lights. There was a police car in front, along with two uniformed officers.

Benoit was a former world heavyweight and Intercontinental champion. He also held several tag-team titles during his career.

"WWE extends its sincerest thoughts and prayers to the Benoit family's relatives and loved ones in this time of tragedy," the federation said in a statement on its Web site.

Benoit was scheduled to perform at the "Vengeance" pay-per-view event Sunday night in Houston, but was replaced at the last minute because of what announcer Jim Ross called "personal reasons."

The native of Canada maintained a home in metro Atlanta from the time he wrestled for the defunct World Championship Wrestling.

The WWE canceled its live "Monday Night RAW" card in Corpus Christi, Texas, and USA Network aired a three-hour tribute to Benoit in place of the scheduled wrestling telecast.

"My relationship with Chris has extended many years and I consider him a great friend," Carl DeMarco, the president of WWE Canada, said in a statement. "Chris was always first-class — warm, friendly, caring and professional one of the best in our business."

Right. And I think McMahon and company are really going to regret airing an insta-tribute show, before the facts came out, if it turns out that it WAS a murder/suicide deal.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2451855;
    Right. And I think McMahon and company are really going to regret airing an insta-tribute show, before the facts came out, if it turns out that it WAS a murder/suicide deal.
    WWE link

Benoit's death part of a double murder-suicide
    Written: June 25, 2007

According to lead investigator Lt. Tommy Pope, of the Fayette County Sheriff’s Department, in Fayetteville, Ga., the deaths of WWE Superstar Chris Benoit, wife Nancy and son Daniel were the result of a double murder-suicide, WWE.com has learned.

Benoit failed to appear both at Saturday’s live event in Beaumont, Tx., and WWE’s Vengeance: Night of Champions in Houston Sunday night, after informing WWE of a family emergency. Several curious text messages sent by Benoit early Sunday morning prompted concerned friends to alert Richard Hering, VP of Government Relations for WWE, Inc. Hering, in turn, spoke with Fayette County sheriffs Monday, and requested that they respond to the Benoit residence to check on him and his family.

Authorities representing the Sheriff’s Department initially had a difficult time entering Benoit’s new Fayetteville home Monday afternoon, which had been guarded by two large German Shepherds roaming freely around the property. Once authorities entered the residence, they quickly located the bodies of Benoit, Nancy and Daniel. WWE was notified of the discovery at approximately 4 p.m.

At 10 p.m. Monday night, Lt. Pope held a press conference in conjunction with Scott Ballard, the district attorney for Fayette County. The press conference officially ruled authorities’ findings as a double murder-suicide from within the home.

WAGA, a FOX-owned and operated television station in Atlanta, reported that investigators believe Benoit killed his wife and 7-year-old son over the weekend, then himself on Monday.

The three bodies have been received by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation’s crime lab, in Decatur, Ga., where autopsies will be performed Tuesday morning. Toxicology reports will not become available for at least two weeks.

WWE.com has further information relating to both the investigation and the cause of death, but the Fayette County Sheriff’s Department has requested that WWE.com not release any additional details at this time.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    I'm a casual observer of wrestling but my sympathies go out to his fans, friends and family.

Even if it is certain he killed his wife and kid, irregardless, his wrestling family is grappling with the devastating news and I think the tribute to him was OK to air. Watching the clips online from Edge, Triple H, CM Punk and others was heartbreaking....

**Sidenote, I went back to the WWE webpage and those video clips are now gone**
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I'm seriously sitting here in awe of this. Chris doesn't seem like the type that would kill his wife and son. I don't even know what to say right now, all I want to do right now is cry and scream. He was such an amazing talent for the WWE industry. I know that he will truly be missed. Words can't express the way I'm feeling right now though. I'm like confused, hurting, and everything else in between.
    My heart goes out to the family, friends and fans of Chris. If anyone ever feels like they need to talk to someone, please feel free to come to me!

Even if it is certain he killed his wife and kid, irregardless, his wrestling family is grappling with the devastating news and I think the tribute to him was OK to air.
    That's a point which people seem to always debate, I think. But most of the time I think the line falls on the other side. At least eventually.

Think of how people react to some equivalent situations:

Are people comfortable lauding OJ Simpson anymore?

Do people watch "Beretta" anymore in repeats?

The big exception might be Phil Spector. Then again, his work as a producer was very behind the scenes. And people don't usually identify with the writer of a song either (he wrote, for one, "You've Lost That Loving Feeling"--which I doubt has been taken off oldies-station playlists).

Of course nobody knows the situation with Benoit for sure yet. His situation could be absolutely nothing like those others. But the very fact that things are still so unknown is why the WWE was better off airing no show, or a repeat (preferably one without him in it), instead of a tribute. There would have been time enough for that later.

I guess I'm questioning the WWE's actions more than that of any fan of his. They're entitled to any feelings of loss or disbelief. But it seemed self-serving to air a tribute that quickly, and as a straight business decision, even with no reason to suspect any foul play on his part at the time, it was probably a hasty ill-considered decision. Yes, it was better than a "McMahon is dead" storyline, but only a bit.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Fogey

I think that the WWE did exactly the right thing with the tribute last night. Regardless of what it turns out are the circumstances of the deaths, Benoit contributed a lot to professional wrestling, and they were right to acknowledge that. After all, the NFL may not invite OJ Simspon to do things like toss the coin at the Super Bowl, but he's still included and mentioned in NFL films presentations when it makes sense. They haven't attempted to re-write NFL history to pretend he didn't contribute.

And given the timing, I don't think that the WWE really had any choice last night. They certainly couldn't go on and do their regular live show. That wouldn't have worked for the viewers, and it would have been absurd to expect the wrestlers to go on out there and put on a show, pretending that nothing happened. They might have been able to persuade USA to have cancelled it and ran a movie or something, but with the ad revenue that comes in for wrestling, I doubt that was a viable option. So they had to do a show, without having a show to do. The tribute was the right thing to do. I did not watch the entire thing, but I did see Vince's words from the ring, and watched a good portion of it. In what I saw, the focus was on Benoit's contributions to wrestling, his best matches, and acknowledging the wrestler that the WWE had lost. They did not go on and on about what a great humanitarian he was ... which would not have been fitting. I think it was entirely appropriate - even if the murder / suicide had been confirmed.

+ Reply to Thread