+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Randy Johnson becomes oldest pitcher to throw perfect game

Randy Johnson becomes oldest pitcher to throw perfect game

[IMG]images/img/a_johnson2_ft.jpg[/IMG]

ATLANTA (AP) -- Arizona's Randy Johnson became the oldest pitcher in major league history to throw a perfect game, retiring all 27 hitters to lead the Diamondbacks over the Atlanta Braves 2-0 Tuesday night.

The 40-year-old left-hander struck out 13 and went to three balls on just one hitter -- Johnny Estrada in the second inning. Estrada fouled off three straight 3-2 pitches before going down swinging.

It was the 17th perfect game in major league history, the 15th since the modern era began in 1900 and the first since the New York Yankees' David Cone against Montreal on July 18, 1999.

Cy Young, then 37, had been the oldest to throw a perfect game, doing it in 1904.

It was the second no-hitter of Johnson's career. The other was for Seattle against Detroit on June 2, 1990.

Appropriately, Johnson struck out the final batter, pinch-hitter Eddie Perez. The Big Unit pumped his fist and raised his glove in the air. Catcher Robby Hammock arrived at the mound with the ball, giving his pitcher a big hug. Within seconds, he was mobbed by the rest of his teammates.

The crowd of 23,381 at Turner Field gave Johnson a standing ovation as he walked slowly toward the dugout. He waved in several directions before disappearing down the tunnel.

"Randy! Randy! Randy!" the fans chanted.

He became only the first pitcher to throw no-hitters in both the National and American leagues, joining Young, Jim Bunning, Hideo Nomo and Nolan Ryan
    Who shot who in the what now?

I think that's awesome for Randy! What an accomplishment.

Btw, I included the picture because he looks nutty in it.
    Who shot who in the what now?

Congrats to him!

How old is he? At least I know he's older than 37.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

I came home this evening and my dad said "You just missed some baseball history." I thought he was being facetious so I said, "Let me guess, the Giants won?" He then told me about Randy Johnson's perfect game.

I didn't realize that he'd thrown a no-hitter in 1990. I thought tonight was his first one. But anyways...
    congrats Randy!

I Randy Johnson! I'm ecstatic for him. He's always been one of my favorite players . . . ever since this interview in which he said something like, "I don't own a gun, but I keep a sack of baseballs by my bed. So if someone breaks in, they'd better be wearing a helmet, 'cause I'm throwing for their head."

Not to mention he's on my fantasy team.

I guess he's 40 years old...don't know how I missed it the first time!
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    a no hitter is easier than a perfect game. in a no hitter the batsman can get on base, I.E. a walk a fielders error, a stuck batsman (like randy has never thrown at someones head before) but a perfect game is 27 up and 27 down

why oh why did it have to be against my braves???????

oh, I really don't like this guy for some things he has done in the past!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah Randy! Nice game. I wish I had been home....I woulda loved to see it.

Perfect game...It's huge.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Im just not that into you AmandaFabulous's Avatar
    There's just something about the name Randy Johnson.......anyway, good for him...he's a great pitcher - I've saw him pitch in Atlanta a few times.
    Look, I love me most...If I could run across the beach into my own arms, I would.

Geesh. Doesn't Randy know that he was done in 1997 because of his back problems. Got to love the M's management.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast