+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paterno, 77, Gets Four-Year Extension

Paterno, 77, Gets Four-Year Extension

Nittany Lions Went 3-9 in '03 -- Worst Record in Paterno's 39 Seasons
    By DAN LEWERENZ, AP SPORTS

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (May 13) -- Despite three losing seasons in the last four years, Joe Paterno got a four-year contract extension from Penn State on Thursday that will take him past his 80th birthday.
    Penn State went 3-9 last season, the worst record in Paterno's 39 seasons as head coach of the Nittany Lions. It was just the fourth losing season since Paterno joined the coaching staff in 1950.

Penn State didn't win a road game for the first time since the 1936 season, and finished below .500 in the Big Ten (1-7) for the first time since joining the conference for the 1993 season.

"I appreciate this extension and show of confidence in me and our football program," Paterno said in a statement. "I still enjoy coaching and I'm excited about the upcoming season and the incoming recruiting class."

In a statement, university president Graham Spanier praised Paterno's "success on the field, the graduation rate of his student athletes and the positive impact his players have made on society."

Terms of the deal were not released.

The contract for the 77-year-old Paterno was scheduled to end after the 2004 season and, because of Penn State's recent lack of success, many questioned if the coach would return.

But Paterno, 77, has repeatedly said he wants to continue coaching as long as he's healthy.

"Penn State's future is bright and we are determined to have a team which in the future will again be in the mix for a national championship," he said.

Paterno won national championships in 1982 and 1986 and has coached five undefeated teams. His overall record is 339-109-3, and he is second only to Florida State's Bobby Bowden in major-college wins.

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/sports/ar...13172309990001
    ______________________________ ______________________________ _____
    I'm really surprised at this. I thought he would bow out gracefully.

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    paterno is taking that program to new depths! sure he has earned the right- to a certain point- to coach as long as he wants- but it's painfully obvious that the game has passed him by!

I went to PSU and would like to see joe pa retire sometime soon before it gets real ugly... kinda like jordan in his washington wizard days.

FORT Fogey
    It is a shame to see a living legend staying on WAY past his prime. Its not only athletes that need to know when to hang-up the spikes.

The PSU program has always been one of the elite and Joe Pa was very intrumental in that. It is just wrong to see him be instrumental in its downfall.

When Bo Schembeckler (sorry for destroying the spelling) got too long in the tooth at Michigan they kicked him upstairs to AD where his name value still helped with recruiting and alumni fund raising.

So Joe Pa can still contribute to the team in a positive way in another capacity. But he seems to want to be on the sidelines where he is actually hurting the team.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by ping007
    I went to PSU and would like to see joe pa retire sometime soon before it gets real ugly... kinda like jordan in his washington wizard days.
    Too late. Did you see the press conference where Joe Pa was babbling about going to Iraq if the Pres asks?. Too bad. Someone should stop him.

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Re: Paterno, 77, Gets Four-Year Extension

Okay, I know this thread is a few years old, but I just have to show some Joe Paterno love here!

I know many people think the game has passed ol JoePA by, and I agree at times. I think; however, that last season he did a lot of things I never thought he'd do as far as certain plays he called and formations he never usually uses. I think he's trying to get with the times.

He's a legend and I hope he continues to coach at my alma mater for many years to come!

ETA: I know there are some Ohio State fans on the site... I'd love to talk football with you this season (from a pro-PSU viewpoint of course) !
    Wake up and be awesome

Well Penn State is my favorite team, and I think they have a national title shot this year. I still think Jo Paterno is a great coach, and plus he's only 2 wins behind Bobby Bowden who is still coaching on the all time wins list.

In my pre-teen years, we lived for a while in Harrisburg, and State College was in my father's calling territory. He belonged to some upscale men's club (remember, I'm old as dirt) and so did Rip Engle. My dad was so upset when that young whippersnapper who has turned into JoePa took over, after Rip Engle retired, .

I love JoePa, too, and I really don't think that the game has passed him by one bit. Every coach makes mistakes, and every team has bad seasons. I agree with Ashley, it's hard sometimes not to get set in one's ways, but he did demonstrate creativity and a fresh (for him) approach. I hope he's around forever.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

i thought he was going to retired a few years ago when they were doing bad, but I'm glad he didn't because now their looking pretty good.

Never noticed this thread before...

Growing up in Central PA, Joepa has always been Penn State football. He was there before I was born and he can stay there for as long as he likes imo. Having attended PSU, dated a football player for two years and been friends with even more players, I can honestly tell you that even when they are in his doghouse you won't hear them complain about his coaching or his character. Joepa made Penn State what it is today and we love him! I think it will be one of the saddest days in college football when he decides to step down.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast