+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA playoffs

"Outlook not good," ref guy. Hope I'm wrong.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I say K.G will melt down and 'He Hate Coaches' Sprewell will be locked up.
    Not in Jail but on the court. Key element to the Lakers & T-Wolves....
    The refs and 'Hack a Shaq'
    Lakers in 5. Detroit in 6. Lakers take all in the finals. Look for tempers to flare in the Detroit Vs Indy game. Someone may get run.

2 down, just 2 more to go. Lakers in 5!

unfortunately, everyone knew LA would win game 3...

sucks for cassell. KG... one FG in the last twenty minutes, not good. why is darrick martin shooting the rock when it matters the most?

i guess i'm rooting for detroit, since the spurs have gone fishing.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    I used to be a huge Laker fan growing up, and while I still root for them if I'm watching the NBA, I just don't watch as much as I used to. I heard two things on the radio in the last 24 hours that help illustrate why I don't enjoy watching as much as I once did.

1. Karl Malone has a history of smacking players in the head. The commentator rattled off about 5 names of players he's hit in the head in the past, including Tim Duncan. Yes, he was fined for his smack of Darrick Martin, but you have to wonder if a lesser well-known player would have been suspended. You have to wonder if he would have been suspended if he wasn't a Laker. The league is gauranteed good ratings if the Lakers make the finals. It's yet anoter example of the league protecting it's stars and not treating all the players with the same set of rules. Drives me nuts.

2. The second thing I heard is much more disturbing to me than the first. I knew that scoring was down in the league. The 72-67 Pistons/Pacers game the other day has simply been called "good defense." Back in the days that I loved the NBA, the Pistons won the title and led the league in defense giving up 92 points a game. Back then there was passing and teamwork. Today, I see way too much one-on-one play, and poor fundamentals. Heck, Shaq was 8-for-22 from the line last night. EIGHT for TWENTY-TWO!!! That's criminal.

Sorry for the rant. I'll shut up now, go back to the hockey thread from whence I came, and allow you to continue enjoying the NBA.

[QUOTE=Wayner ." Back in the days that I loved the NBA, the Pistons won the title and led the league in defense giving up 92 points a game. Back then there was passing and teamwork. Shaq was 8-for-22 from the line last night. That's criminal.

That was back in 89' or 90' I believe and though I respected the pistons for there 'defensive play" those guys were 'thugs on the court and in fact helped to redefine the game of basketball as we know it.Karl Malone "oops I did it again ,upside the head" the Pistons had a team of Karl Malones even their bench.I think Vinny & Dumars were the only ones who actually played Basketball on the team. It was like watchin hockey on wood
    'Hack a Shaq' imagine if basketball increased their roster to five more players ,that would be 25 extra fouls on Shaq Foo .You could simply put some dirt on the foul line and plant shaq permanetly at the line had watch him
    clank all night long. He's such an embarrasement to watch on the line. Imagine how some one like Russell would have gotten inside his head. To me Shaq can be a blessing or a curse and someone who is destined to be first round hall of famer should not be a liability on the court particularly in close game situations. Come the finals I'm sure Shaq will be tha Hack-izzle treatment

It's a bird, it's a plane EXlurker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fit_chick5
    'Hack a Shaq' imagine if basketball increased their roster to five more players ,that would be 25 extra fouls on Shaq Foo .You could simply put some dirt on the foul line and plant shaq permanetly at the line had watch him
    clank all night long. He's such an embarrasement to watch on the line. Imagine how some one like Russell would have gotten inside his head. To me Shaq can be a blessing or a curse and someone who is destined to be first round hall of famer should not be a liability on the court particularly in close game situations. Come the finals I'm sure Shaq will be tha Hack-izzle treatment
    The thing about hack a shaq is he usually does step up and start making his free throws. The last game he was like 2 for 13 or something like that, but the last 3 minutes when they started the hack a shaq, he started making them.

No, he doesn't make enough of them to make opposing coaches think that strategy isn't worthwhile. If he makes them, it's really just luck. His form is atrocious. It's sad that a potential Hall of Fame-caliber player like him can have an Achilles' Heel so obvious that other coaches have formulated a strategy around putting him on the line. I can't even imagine that with some of the other Hall of Fame centers. It's appalling, really.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

I think what is appalling is the Spurs team, as a whole, is really bad at the line. I know that the Lakers and the Spurs are the two worst free throwing team but the gap between the Spurs and the Lakers is huge. The last series was appalling. Hack-a-Shaq was much more effective a few years back but he DID get better at the line after Jackson became coach. Opposing teams can continue with that strategy but it's definitely going to backfire. Anyway, here's looking at another championship this year!

Foul shooting league-wide is appalling, honestly. Do you ever see 90% foul shooters anymore like Mark Price and Jeff Hornacek used to produce? And Larry Bird? Fundamentals just aren't popular anymore. Sheer athleticism is what sells tickets, I guess.

I sound old.

+ Reply to Thread