+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Court agrees with NFL on eligibility rules

Court agrees with NFL on eligibility rules

In a surprising move, word is coming down that the Appeals Court has over ruled the US District Court judge who allowed underclassmen like Maurice Clarett and others to declare for the draft this weekend.

The judge issued a Stay, and a strongly worded statement (according to ESPN) indicating that the full court ruling would come shortly, and that the NFL's supplemental draft is sufficient to allow these folks to get into the league.

This is bad for the effected players in that salary out of the supplemental draft is generally far below the regular draft.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Here is an article.

ESPN / SportsTicker

NEW YORK - A federal appeals court on Monday barred Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett from entering Saturday's NFL draft, overturning a ruling by a lower court.

In February, Clarett was declared eligible for the NFL draft by U.S. District Judge Shira A. Scheindlin, who ruled the league violated anti-trust laws. She later refused to suspend the ruling.

As part of the league's collective bargaining agreement, NFL rules stipulate that players must be out of high school three years to be eligible for the draft. But Clarett challenged the rule in a September 23 lawsuit.

Clarett ran for 1,327 yards and helped the Buckeyes capture a national championship as a freshman in 2002. But he was suspended by the school prior to the 2003 season for accepting improper benefits from a family friend, then lying to investigators.

On Monday, the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said the NFL has "demonstrated a likelihood of success on the merits" in claiming that Clarett and others - like Southern California receiver Mike Williams - should not be allowed to enter the draft early.

"We are grateful for the prompt attention the court has given to this matter and we await its decision on the merits," the league said in a statement.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.

Good!!!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

agreed, i glad punk azz clarett isn't getting what wants. he's a projected 2nd or 3rd rounder anyways. the only person this really affects is mike williams from USC.

NFL draft in two days!!

Supreme Court to review today.

Likely not overturned, in that this is a case that is about unions and collective bargaining. If they open the door to Clarett and others, that same decision could be used to get around other union situations such as the auto workers, etc...

FORT Fogey
    I'm glad they did...i am tired of these selfish, spoiled athletes making ultimatums if they dont get their way.

Everytime they showed footage of this guy on ESPN when they were discussing the trial, the footage showed him arguing with his head coach, tossing his helmet, stomping around and basically acting like a spoiled brat.

Now, he feels he deserves to be a multi-millionaire.

I realize that colleges make a lot of money from their sports programs, but these kids sign a commitment to go to the college and play ball in exchange for a free college education (if they chose to actually use it as such) and to provide them with advance coaching and national exposure to promote their professional careers and increase their value.

So I dont agree with athletes skipping out of their scholarships to turn pro early -except for cases where family hardship makes it necc. But even in those cases, the universities would likely offer some sort of help within the rules of ametuer athletics.

I know other people will point that baseball and hockey players often go right into minor and junior leagues right out of high school and some basketball players go pro right out of high school too. However the minor leagues of hockey and baseball are not well paying nor glamorous - lots of busses and cheap motels and are essentially the same type of additional training and seasoning that one would receive in a Div I college program.

Basketball is just comical with the so-called rules it applies to its players. So I wont even go there.
    Last edited by Daddio; 04-22-2004 at 11:47 AM.

I know we have a Frontier league Baseball team(AA) here and those guys make about 300 a game and its not that long a season. I think they end up with about 3500 bucks or so a season. They play the game cause they love it!!! Not like this dumb piece of bad DNA thats sueing to get in the NFL cause he can't handle school.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    I am so glad that little spoiled piece of waisted skin, that god could have made ten good chihuahuas out of, didn't get his way. Just because he acts like he is the man, doen't mean the world thinks so. if he came looking for a job, i'd tell him to go grow up first after seeing his displays on the news. Glad to see someone in the courts has their head clear.

+ Reply to Thread