+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 74748495051525354555657

Thread: 2004 MLB Season

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    ok, I feel for this guy, but i have worked for people like him and it gets tot he point where you just domn't even want them around......

on another note. these guys make big, big dollars, yet they need a coach to tell them how to hit? thye haven't figured it out yet? I wish I had a coach to sit and tell me how to do my job that I was hired for. How about you Unk. you need a coach to tell you how to run that restaurant? we are in the wrong line of work.

Quote Originally Posted by joeguy
    How about you Unk. you need a coach to tell you how to run that restaurant?
    Hell, no my district manager is enough of a pain in the arse, I don't need anybody else telling me what to do!

Congratulations to the 2004 American League Gold Glove winners:

Pitcher: Kenny Rogers, Texas Rangers
    Catcher: Ivan Rodriguez, Detroit Tigers
    First base: Darin Erstad, Anaheim Angels
    Second base: Bret Boone, Seattle Mariners
    Third base: Eric Chavez, Oakland Athletics
    Shortstop: Derek Jeter, New York Yankees
    Outfield: Ichiro Suzuki, Seattle Mariners
    Outfield: Torii Hunter, Minnesota Twins
    Outfield: Vernon Wells, Toronto Blue Jays

Can't tell you how thrilled I am for Derek Jeter. I wanted him to win this very, very badly. And Torii is my second-favorite player so congrats to him, as well!
    Last edited by DJeterFan; 11-02-2004 at 05:30 PM.

Congrats to the 2004 National League Gold Glove winners:

Pitcher: Greg Maddux, Chicago Cubs
    Catcher: Mike Matheny, St. Louis Cardinals
    First Base: Todd Helton, Colorado Rockies
    Second Base: Luis Castillo, Florida Marlins
    Third Base: Scott Rolen, St. Louis Cardinals
    Shortstop: Cesar Izturis, Los Angeles Dodgers
    Outfield: Jim Edmonds, St. Louis Cardinals
    Outfield: Steve Finley, Los Angeles Dodgers
    Outfield: Andruw Jones, Atlanta Braves

And to the 2004 Silver Sluggers:

American League
    1B Mark Teixeira, Rangers
    2B Alfonso Soriano, Rangers
    SS Miguel Tejada, Orioles
    3B Melvin Mora, Orioles
    OF Manny Ramirez, Red Sox
    OF Gary Sheffield, Yankees
    OF Vladimir Guerrero, Angels
    C tie-Ivan Rodriguez, Tigers
    C tie-Victor Martinez, Indians
    DH David Ortiz, Red Sox

National League

1B Albert Pujols, Cardinals
    2B Mark Loretta, Padres
    SS Jack Wilson, Pirates
    3B Adrian Beltre, Dodgers
    OF Barry Bonds, Giants
    OF Jim Edmonds, Cardinals
    OF Bobby Abreu, Phillies
    C Johnny Estrada, Braves
    P Livan Hernandez, Expos

Jay
    Congratulations to Vladimir Guerrero for winning the AL MVP award. Montreal misses you, Vladi.

A well deserved award for Vlad.

Hey Yankee and Sox fans, what do you think of this?:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...ter&id=1924287

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

By Buster Olney
    ESPN The Magazine

Sometimes George Steinbrenner does his own negotiating, and on Tuesday, ESPN has learned, he met face-to-face with the most prominent free agent pitcher on the market -- Pedro Martinez, who, to date, has not accepted a two-year, $27.5 million offer from the Boston Red Sox.

Steinbrenner loves stars, has always been enamored with the idea of taking stars away from the rival Red Sox, and it seems unlikely that he would meet with Martinez without having some intention of making at least a competitive offer.

Martinez

It's a situation that probably concerns some Yankees' officials: At a time when the club needs to get younger and is locked up in long-term contracts with older players, Steinbrenner is wooing a 33-year-old right-hander who has shown signs of wear-and-tear in recent years.

Since the Yankees lost the 2001 World Series to Arizona, Steinbrenner has increasingly worked independently of his highest-ranked baseball executives, including General Manager Brian Cashman and longtime official Gene Michael, with mixed results.

Steinbrenner arranged a two-year deal with David Wells in January of 2002, despite the fact that many within the organization felt Wells was unreliable and unprofessional, and Wells pitched well in the regular season -- but was unable to go past the first inning of Game 5 of the 2003 World Series because of back trouble.

Steinbrenner ordered a trade for right fielder Raul Mondesi in the midst of the 2002 season, and Mondesi was a disaster. Last fall, Steinbrenner met with free agent outfielder Gary Sheffield and reached a handshake agreement on a contract; when Sheffield tried to back out of that deal, the Yankees' baseball executives worked to near-completion on a deal with slugger Vladimir Guerrero -- a player they preferred because he is eight years younger than Sheffield.

But Sheffield capitulated in the negotiations, and Steinbrenner ordered the signing of Sheffield -- who finished second in the AL MVP voting that was announced Tuesday. Guerrero finished first.

Now Steinbrenner has moved on Martinez, a longtime arch-enemy of the Yankees. He had once dominated them, setting a single-game strikeout record for an opposing pitcher when he whiffed 17 Yankees in September of 1999, beating them in Game 3 of the American League Championship Series that fall.

But Martinez mostly has struggled to beat the Yankees since then, frustrations that prompted him to say once that he would drill the Bambino in the rear if somebody woke up the deceased slugger, and then, late this year, say that perhaps he would have to call the Yankees his daddies. Martinez has probably been the opposing player most despised in the Yankees' clubhouse, after he's hit some of the Yankees repeatedly and after the on-field brawl in the 2003 playoffs, which concluded with Martinez throwing then-coach Don Zimmer to the ground. Recently, Yankees catcher Jorge Posada said that if Martinez signed with the Yankees, all would be forgotten.

It may be that Steinbrenner and Martinez are using each other in this dalliance - Steinbrenner, to drive up the price that Boston eventually pays to the All-Star pitcher, and Martinez, in invoking the Yankees to get more money out of the Red Sox.

But it's also possible that Steinbrenner wants Martinez, who has a career record of 182-76 with an ERA of 2.71; based on his record of dominance, he is virtually a lock to be voted into Hall of Fame one day. Martinez went 16-9 for Boston last season, with a 3.90 ERA, and he struck out 227 batters in 217 innings. Increasingly, there has been concern that Martinez has trouble getting loose in cold weather, a problem that could reflect shoulder trouble.

Steinbrenner may look past that, however. Maybe he's ready to give Martinez a four-year deal, some deal written out on a napkin. The possibility might worry Yankees' executives more than those of the Red Sox.

Buster Olney is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine. His book, "The Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty," is a New York Times best seller and can be ordered through HarperCollins.com.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

I think it's pathetic. Steinbrenner is a joke.

On a brighter note, I'm happy for Vlad. He was the only visiting player who actually talked to me when I interned for the A's during spring training this year (and only three A's players did). Nice guy and well-deserved.

I cant Believe Vlad won MVP... Manny def should have one!!

who had more homeruns? who had more RBI's?

Does anyone know of any trades?? I know Gabe Kapler (red sox outfielder) was traded to a japan team.. LOL... but does anyone know any BIG trades.??

I watched EVERY red sox game there whole season.. and after they won there world series.. i havent followed up on them at all.. i use to go to there site all the time to look around.. but i haven't been on it for a while.. so i don't really know whats been going on.. I'm really curious to see whats going to happen with the Yankees.. any trades? they need pitching!! and they need it BADLY!!

+ Reply to Thread