+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 57 FirstFirst ... 545464748495051525354555657 LastLast

Thread: 2004 MLB Season

Great game last night and I loved seeing all the celebration, I am deffinetly jealous of all of you in Boston. I would've killed to be downtown during that party.

Quote Originally Posted by DJeterFan
    Sounds like somebody was caught up in the moment there.

Yeah, the Sox have been good during the playoffs, but they haven't been untouchable all year. The Cardinals were the better team all season, in fact, they were the best team in baseball.

As my Derek Jeter has often said, it's not necessarily the best team that wins in the playoffs - it's the team that is the hottest that wins. At any given time in the season, the worst team in baseball could sweep the first place team. That's the great thing about the game; it's not played on paper, it's not decided by history, it's decided by who is the hotter team at that very moment.

Were the Red Sox the hottest team when it mattered these last couple weeks? Definitely. But were they the best team and untouchable all season? Far from it. They just picked the right time to have everything click, and props to them for that.
    I believe it's quite difficult to completely declare one team the absolute best in baseball. And although I agree the Cardinals were an excellent team in baseball this year, I wouldn't go so far as to say the Red Sox were far from it.

For instance, many analysts use run differential in determining how "good" a team is. Run differential is runs allowed compared to runs scored throughout the season. Here are the run differentials for all the playoff teams. First number is runs scored, second is runs allowed and the last number is differential (I tried to make a graph, but it didn't allow it)

St. Louis 837 659 +178
    Boston 973 824 +149
    Atlanta 767 670 +97
    New York 885 810 +75
    Anaheim 797 734 +63
    Houston 778 725 +53
    Minnesota 715 715 0
    LA 717 774 -37

I think these are interesting statistics to consider when determining the "best" team in baseball. Wins and losses really can't be compared considering interleague play does not allow all teams to face one another, and some teams face one another more than others such as the Yankees and Sox facing one another 19 times during the season.

If you notice St. Louis had the best run differential with Boston coming in second while also scoring the most runs in all of major league baseball.

Now I'm not saying Boston was untouchable (and I don't believe Pomeraniac said untouchable either) but I'm not so sure they are as "far from" the best as some may think.
    Last edited by greenie; 10-28-2004 at 09:26 PM.
    Who shot who in the what now?

Wouldn't that be something if the Cubs won it all next year? That would be cool.

That's what I am rooting for. Of course, then the apocalypse will happen.

Congrats, Sox! To quote a sportscaster I heard last night..."Hell has frozen over and, look...there goes a pig"
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood
    That's what I am rooting for. Of course, then the apocalypse will happen.

Congrats, Sox! To quote a sportscaster I heard last night..."Hell has frozen over and, look...there goes a pig"
    WOOOHOOOO, then that means the Browns are gonna win the Super Bowl!!!! YESSSSS!!!!!!!

greenie, I didn't mean to say the Sox were far from it. That came out wrong when I typed it. I just meant that they weren't the best team by far or anything. They just happened to be playing the best this week. It's just that sometimes people overdo it when a team gets a big win, saying they're the best ever, etc. (not necessarily anyone here, but I've heard it elsewhere for sure). And when I said the Cardinals were the best team in baseball, I meant by record. They had the most wins in the majors. Sorry; sometimes what you mean to say doesn't come across correctly when you're typing. Just to clarify.

ETA: Clipse, I love your new avatar! I know Seann from way back in the day; it's cool/weird to see him as an av.
    Last edited by DJeterFan; 10-28-2004 at 09:50 PM.

Well, at least I know I was right about Manny being classless. It's really cool to hold up a sign about a player from another team when you're in your victory parade. From now on, the Sox should concentrate on celebrating themselves and not putting down other players. :rolleyes It's pathetic.
    (In case you didn't see it, I'm referring to a sign Manny held up on the float that mentions Jeter. Leave it to the Sox to be the first team to rub it in other players' faces. :rolleyes Anyways, how many world series rings do you have, Manny? 1. And how many world series rings does Jeter have? 4. That's, of course, in addition to his 6 AL Championship rings. Yeah, that's what I thought. :phhht)
    Anyways, with that lovely note, I'm outta here. It was fun talking to you all this season. See ya in spring training!

Well, at least I know I was right about Manny being classless. It's really cool to hold up a sign about a player from another team when you're in your victory parade. From now on, the Sox should concentrate on celebrating themselves and not putting down other players. :rolleyes It's pathetic.
    (In case you didn't see it, I'm referring to a sign Manny held up on the float that mentions Jeter. Leave it to the Sox to be the first team to rub it in other players' faces. :rolleyes Anyways, how many world series rings do you have, Manny? 1. And how many world series rings does Jeter have? 4. That's, of course, in addition to his 6 AL Championship rings. Yeah, that's what I thought. :phhht)
    Anyways, with that lovely note, I'm outta here. It was fun talking to you all this season. See ya in spring training!

IT'S A LOT BETTER THAN "WHO'S YOUR DADDY"
    In these times of Greatness, what is better than being a Bostonian? Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics (NO. 5anyone?) and I'll even give props to the Black N Gold!!!

What's a lot better than 'who's your daddy?' Pedro Martinez called the Yankees his daddy - what does that have to do with a player rubbing their win in another's face? The Yankees never said they were Pedro's daddy; Pedro said it himself. Derek Jeter never put down another player. I'm failing to see the connection here...

Anyways, I don't care. I wasn't going to come in here anymore and here I am. I'm leaving now! Ciao!

What's a lot better than 'who's your daddy?' Pedro Martinez called the Yankees his daddy - what does that have to do with a player rubbing their win in another's face? The Yankees never said they were Pedro's daddy; Pedro said it himself. Derek Jeter never put down another player. I'm failing to see the connection here...

Anyways, I don't care. I wasn't going to come in here anymore and here I am. I'm leaving now! Ciao!

JK-DJF.
    I will say that maybe it's just payback for Sheffield calling them a walking disaster. But here all Red Sox players know that Derek Jeter and NOW A-Fraud are public enemy #1, according to us fans.
    In these times of Greatness, what is better than being a Bostonian? Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics (NO. 5anyone?) and I'll even give props to the Black N Gold!!!

I went to the parade today. It was so much fun and really great to see all of the players. They were reaching out and trying to slap high fives with everyone. You could tell they were so proud to be the ones to win it for Boston. They really played it up for the crowd, you could tell they didn't care what anyone else in the world thought. It's for the fans, it's for the Red Sox fans, and I had a blast even in the rain!

No one's gonna rain on my parade! :phhht

Oh and what's up with this classless/classy thing? That's all I've been hearing from Yankee fans recently. Guess the 1918, Who's Your Daddy?, etc. can't be used much any more so they gotta talk about "classiness". Since when did an organization run by George Steinbrenner (the epitomy of class) define anything and everything about class? That sign Manny held up was funny, I'm not sure if he brought it or if a fan gave it to him. Guess there's always gotta be some sort of controversy :rolleyes
    Last edited by greenie; 10-30-2004 at 08:27 PM.
    Who shot who in the what now?

+ Reply to Thread