+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1050515253545556575859606162636465666768 LastLast

Thread: NHL Playoffs 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Livvy
    Congrats to Tampa for a hard fought win! This is a tough series and I'm hoping Tampa can pull it out on Thursday. Vinnie got 10 stitches for that horrible hit and well deserved penalty on Calgary. Tampa played hard and won considering they lost two of their best players - Kubina and Fedotenko. Tampa IS in the Stanley Cup Finals - useless? I'd say not!! (referring to previous poster!)
    This kinda says it all.. useless..

Quote Originally Posted by QuinntheEskimo
    TB has now alternated wins/losses for 12 consecutive games... thats amazing- but sad- that they cant manage to win 2 games in a row- but are still in a position to win the Cup... you can go 16-12 (57%) in hockey playoffs and win it all?

Quote Originally Posted by HomerRules
    What was Nieminen thinking of when he hit Vinnie from behind? He may be suspended, and justly so, for that hit.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    A hit from behind is just that. It doesn't matter who does it. Really stupid thing to do at that stage , or any stage of a SC final . I do think Vinnie was seeing birdies , and that's why he wasn't on again.

FORT Fogey
    Neiminen is such an idiot. Didn't like him when he was playing the Sharks, absolutely hate him for the way he's playing against the Lightning. He's such a.... meanie head, to keep it PG13.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt64
    This kinda says it all.. useless..
    Let's be more accurate here, please.... 1st round: 4 - 1, 2nd round: 4 - 0, 3rd round: 4 - 3. That's 12 wins and 4 losses. If Tampa wins it all but goes the full 7 games, that would be 16 wins and 7 losses.

Done with that... today's local news says that Vinny will be re-evaluated today. ESPN reports that Nieminen has been suspended from Game 5.
    Last edited by Livvy; 06-02-2004 at 01:10 PM.

Jay
    Nieminen has been suspended for one game. He won't play tomorrow night.

TSN story

I don't even get why there is a debate?

Tampa Bay managed to win their division. They they eliminated each opponent they've faced thus far. Sounds pretty effective to me.

Oh... and Go Flames Go.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    Niemenen suspended for one game- appropriate for that hit... i'm still amazed that Sutter is complaining about the penalty being more then a 2 minute minor?? he must be really going nutso now- if he truly believes that penalty should have only been a minor?

my sole point in the above referenced "debate"was to state a fact that Tampa has alternated wins/losses in 12 consecutive games... that is simply amazing! the other part about going 16-12 is purely speculation that any team COULD go 16-12 and still manage to win the cup- i wasn't calling any team specifically out...
    and for the record as much as i dislike TB- i still find myself cheering for them?? maybe i'm just rooting for Vinnie?

Quote Originally Posted by Livvy
    Let's be more accurate here, please.... 1st round: 4 - 1, 2nd round: 4 - 0, 3rd round: 4 - 3. That's 12 wins and 4 losses. If Tampa wins it all but goes the full 7 games, that would be 16 wins and 7 losses.

Done with that... today's local news says that Vinny will be re-evaluated today. ESPN reports that Nieminen has been suspended from Game 5.
    Oh alright.. I just don't like them.. If you like I can come up with a real reason..

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    Sutter's remarks regarding Niemenen's suspension:
    from ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playof...jim&id=1814704

TAMPA, Fla. -- Having apparently ruled out sex as an option, Calgary Flames coach Darryl Sutter opted for controversy to help bring some much needed attention to the Stanley Cup finals. Not surprisingly, it works for him and, oddly enough, the National Hockey League, as well. On Wednesday, Sutter all but accused NHL commissioner Gary Bettman of dictating the terms of the one-game suspension handed to Flames forward Ville Nieminen for Game 5 against the Tampa Bay Lightning on Thursday (ABC, 8 ET).

He also strongly implied that not only does the league not want Calgary to win the Stanley Cup, but it also did not want the Flames here in the first place. He fudged the truth about whether Nieminen had made the trip from Calgary.

Then, after blaming the media for its role in the Nieminen suspension, he finished his news conference by declaring his players unavailable.

All in all, it was a horribly transparent ploy designed to embarrass the league and set us all off on a story line that has next to nothing to do with the prickly situation he and the Flames are facing -- beating Tampa Bay in a two-out-of three games series while the Lightning hold home-ice advantage. Give Sutter credit in at least one area though, he has a wicked sense of humor.

Pressed on the suspension to Nieminen, Sutter said: "The decisions are made in New York not in Toronto."

Bettman's offices are located in New York, while Colin Campbell, the league's executive vice president and director of hockey operations and the man charged with supplemental discipline, works out of Toronto.

Sutter also said that during the playoffs his team "lost three players total to injuries and there was a total of two minutes called, not -- that's as far as it went. So fine, we know what we're up against. We're the underdog. We've said that. I am not saying it now to make a point, but it's dead on true. We're the little team that wasn't supposed to be here, and a lot of people don't want us to be here and want to make sure that we're not successful.

"We know that."

Pardon us if we take an editorial pause here to both put on our hip boots and reflect upon the consequences of those remarks.

First off, Sutter isn't entirely wrong. The commissioner's office does sometimes get involved in both the suspension hearings and the discipline imposed. It comes with the job description and -- in this instance -- happens to be in writing (not always the case regarding NHL rules). If Sutter knows for a fact that Bettman had a hand in this, it would be because of one of two possibilities: Either Campbell told him or he was making it up.

Regarding the poor, persecuted Flames, the little team from Canada against the world, excuse me while I laugh out loud. If there's anything sustainable about the rhetoric surrounding this series so far it's that Sutter is playing that card so far beyond the high-roller limit he would be booted out of Las Vegas. Unfortunately for hockey, however, there are huge numbers of Canadians who believe this stuff.

By virtue of location, the Flames have emerged as Canada's team. And from the actions of the coach and the reactions in some media, one has almost to stop and remind one's self that Nieminen did indeed hit Lecavalier with an elbow in the head from behind with intent and injured him. On a non-Stanley Cup playoff day, that's often good for anywhere from a three-game suspension to a Todd Bertuzzi-like dismissal.
    The commissioner was not pleased by Sutter's tack.

"Mr. Sutter's comments were ill-advised, inappropriate and inaccurate," Bettman said in response to numerous requests for comment. "The focus of the Stanley Cup Final should be on the ice, and to the extent any response is needed to any gamesmanship off the ice, it will be made after the Final is over."

Campbell held a lengthy press conference to defend his one-game decision, fending off a number of inquires about why a repeat offender who delivered a blow to the head only got one game.

In true NHL fashion, Campbell said the rules are simply different in the playoffs.

Sutter then had enough brass in his extremities to say that even one game was a media-orchestrated event.

"Hey, the media is a powerful tool, believe me," he said. "And it's unfortunate that's what ends up -- you know, I hold myself responsible because I don't bitch and whine in the media.

"So that's something I have learned, that you should bitch and complain and whine, and it has an impact."

Sutter never did address who, in fact, was doing the complaining. Though the implication was strong that it was opposing coach John Tortorella, the Lightning coach refused to address the issue after the game and said even less about it on Wednesday. It was, for him, a don't-go-there affair.

Which is not to say that the Lightning don't conspire to get their story straight either. Posted in their room was a message advising the players to meet at 3:15 before media availability, presumably to get their story straight about the hit, the suspension and Lecavalier's readiness for Game 5. If so, Lecavalier might have missed the notice or part of the meeting, because he said he felt great and would play in Game 5 minutes after his coach refused to discuss it.

Which brings the manure wagon full circle.

A series nobody is watching -- and even fewer people are writing about -- now has a story line that has almost nothing to do with on-ice performance or off-ice personality and everybody is clamoring to get a piece of it.

Jim Kelley is the NHL writer for ESPN.com.

I'm loving this...

+ Reply to Thread