+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: America's Cup Quarterfinal Update

America's Cup Quarterfinal Update

Most of you know, I'm a sailboat racer. Have been for years and years. So, I know most of you don't care about the big races, but since I follow them, I might as well post the info here.

America's Cup latest results (actually, it's the Louis Vuitton Cup, but who's picking nits?):

Seattle's OneWorld Challenge (backed by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen and wireless guru Craig McCaw), is the first ever entry from the Pacific Northwest. They have just defeated Dennis Conner's Stars & Stripes in the quarterfinal match - a clean sweep in a best-of-seven set.

However, Dennis Conner is charging OneWorld with stealing design secrets, and trying to have them eliminated from competition. Accusations of unfair play plague the America's Cup, almost every single year since its inception. When each team is backed by billionaires shelling out upwards of $100 million per boat, there's a lot on the line.

Also in the quarterfinal match, Italy's Prada Challenge beat out Sweden's Victory Challenge to advance to the semi-final race against OneWorld.

Victory Challenge is a team owned by Jan Steinbeck, a famous Swede, who unfortunately passed away 40 days before the start of this year's America's Cup challenge. They also have a budget about 1/3 the size of Prada.

Race 1 of the semifinals begins on December 9.

The semifinals will be OneWorld against Prada, and the other semi-final match is not yet determined.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    John, I actually didn't know you were a sailboat racer!!!

You and Mr. BF would get along famously

Maybe he could he could visit the FORT and only participate in the sports thread
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

lol BF! I'm surprised you didn't know I was a sailboat racer. It's in my profile, and for a long time on another board, I had a picture of the boat I crewed on as my avatar. I don't usually follow the AC too closely, for one because I can't stand Dennis Conner, and for another because it takes place in winter, and I have to try not to think about sailing while it's cold.

Princess
    Oh no, Sweden lost!
    John, where are they racing?
    (Some gossip re Stenbeck: He was big time media mogule in Sweden, and died suddenly from a cardiac infarction. Three kids, but after his death they foud that he also had a child with some other woman - they now are fighting about the inheritance.)

They're racing in New Zealand.

For those not familiar with the America's Cup, it's held each year in the defender's country. So, New Zealand having won last year, that's where it's held this year (which technically is the 2003 America's Cup, because the finals won't be held until January/February).

Princess
    Thanks John!

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    You know what John....I DO remember your sailboat AV!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Sweden has 2 boats, Orn (Eagle) and Orm (Serpent). Orm is the newer, and more radical, design, but both were designed and built in Sweden.

Here's a picture of Orm during one of the recent quarterfinal races:

[IMG]images/user/1036_FS020923101907.jpg[/IMG]
    All that's for Modesty's benefit

They were swept 4-0 by Italy's Prada in a best of seven. But don't feel too badly, so was the USA's Stars & Stripes...

John,

Is it possible to steal secrets illegally in that sport?

I know there was huge intrigue over that winged keel that the Kiwi's...(or was it Australians?) used to win years ago.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast