+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Figure Skating

Re: Figure Skating

I took my daughter to a local ice skating show over the weekend and they had performances by a couple of synchronized skating teams. I was not even aware that this sport existed! I got home and immediately looked on the Internet to see what the "higher level" teams looked like. Considering how hard it can be for pairs of skaters to stay in syn, I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to keep 16 to 20 skaters in sync!! Watching the changes in formations is very interesting. Youtube has tons of video, unfortunately I cannot post the links here. If you are interested in checking it out some of the most interesting teams (that I saw) were: Rockettes (Finland), Team Surprise (Sweden), Haydenettes (US). There is also a talented team from Canada called Nexxice that won the most recent world synchro championships, but I to be honest their music selections were a bit off-putting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3421160;
    I took my daughter to a local ice skating show over the weekend and they had performances by a couple of synchronized skating teams. I was not even aware that this sport existed! I got home and immediately looked on the Internet to see what the "higher level" teams looked like. Considering how hard it can be for pairs of skaters to stay in syn, I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to keep 16 to 20 skaters in sync!! Watching the changes in formations is very interesting. Youtube has tons of video, unfortunately I cannot post the links here. If you are interested in checking it out some of the most interesting teams (that I saw) were: Rockettes (Finland), Team Surprise (Sweden), Haydenettes (US). There is also a talented team from Canada called Nexxice that won the most recent world synchro championships, but I to be honest their music selections were a bit off-putting to me.
    Years ago in New York City there was a movie theater called The Roxy. It was very much like Radio City Music Hall, but instead of the stage show and the Rockettes, they had an ice show with the Roxyettes, who did what the Rockettes did, but on ice. That was one of my favorites places to go when I was a child, and I was so sad when it closed.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;3424011;
    Years ago in New York City there was a movie theater called The Roxy. It was very much like Radio City Music Hall, but instead of the stage show and the Rockettes, they had an ice show with the Roxyettes, who did what the Rockettes did, but on ice. That was one of my favorites places to go when I was a child, and I was so sad when it closed.
    That sounds really cool!! It is a shame when unique and interesting things like that fall by the wayside.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

This totally shocked me. It's very sad..

Nicole Bobek, Former Figure Skating Champ, Charged in Drug Bust -- Back Porch FanHouse

Nicole Bobek, Former Figure Skating Champ, Charged in Drug Bust
    Posted Jul 06, 2009 11:20PM By Tom Herrera (RSS feed)

At her peak, Nicole Bobek was one of the brightest stars in figure skating. She won the U.S. championship in 1995 and the bronze medal at the World Championships that same year. But the teenage phenom was also notorious for her poor training discipline and her tendency for shuffling coaches -- she changed coaches at least 11 times during her skating career.

Now at age 31, Bobek is in trouble that stretches far beyond being labeled a difficult teenager. According to an Associated Press report, she has been charged with being part of a drug ring in northern New Jersey.

Bobek, who has homes in New York and Jupiter, Fla., was arrested in Florida last week. The charge is conspiracy to distribute methamphetamine in Hudson County.

If convicted, Bobek faces up to 10 years in prison.

According to the prosector, Edward DeFazio, a total of 20 people have been arrested in connection with the ring.

Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

That is shocking--I remember her so well. How did her life come to this?

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

I am truly shocked. I never would have guessed that of her....Tonya Harding, maybe, but not Nicole!

I agree that it's sad, but I actually wasn't shocked. If it had been Nancy Kerrigan, I would have been shocked. Nicole Bobek? Not really.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

And, why not?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Premium Member

It's not the first time she's been in trouble.
    Bobek was caught and charged in 1994 with first degree home invasion. She was accused of taking cash from a purse. The cash was returned, but she was still charged for the crime.
    Nicole Bobek - Ice Skating Champion Nicole Bobek

I liked Nicole a lot, but was not surprised, either. Back in the day it was reported often that she did not have a lot of discipline. I hope she can get her life back together as I am sure she still has many fans out there.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread