+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Figure Skating

Premium Member

Re: Figure Skating

Quote Originally Posted by lobeck;3294100;
    Count me as an Evan fan, too! *pantpantpant* When I was watching the men's championship, I thought I heard one of the announcers say something about how TPTB might still add Weir to the team. If he did as poorly as he did and placed as low as he did, how could they do that? Why would they do that? If they did add him, does that mean Evan would get left off since he placed 3rd?
    I understood the reasoning when the commentators were talking about it, but the explains it better than I can:

When he won bronze at last year’s world figure skating championships in Sweden, Johnny Weir helped nail down a third spot for the American men at this year’s world championships, in March in Los Angeles.

So, even though Weir finished fifth at the U.S. Figure Skating championships, which wrapped up Sunday in Cleveland, Jeremy Abbott winning, 18-year-old Brandon Mroz second, 2007 and 2008 U.S. champion Evan Lysacek third, there’s an argument that Weir deserved to go to Los Angeles.
    WCSN Blogs » Blog Archive » Skating toward L.A., and without Johnny Weir

What really sucks, is that Weir could have withdrawn from this year's competition because of his illness, and he would have probably automatically been given a spot on the team because of his placement last year. Instead, by having the guts to tough it out and and consequently performing poorly, he loses out. Hardly seems fair, but then it wouldn't be any more fair to deny the top three finishers either. I'm glad I don't have to make that decision.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 02-08-2009 at 12:58 AM.

I was watching the ISU Four Continents skating competition yesterday and loved seeing the skaters. I hadn't seen much skating lately and miss it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3309743;
    Ok, I guess this would go here...they both gross me out!

Kristy Swanson and Lloyd Eisler Get Married! - Weddings, Kristy Swanson : People.com
    By Lorenzo Benet

Originally posted Saturday February 07, 2009 07:30 PM EST
    Kristy Swanson and Lloyd Eisler's first wedding photo! Photo by: Steve Gatlin PhotographyKristy Swanson and Lloyd Eisler Get Married! | Kristy Swanson
    Skating with Celebrities winners Kristy Swanson and Lloyd Eisler were married on Saturday, the couple confirms exclusively to PEOPLE.

"It was awesome and I feel amazing," Swanson tells PEOPLE. "[The ceremony] was perfect even though Lloyd's cell phone went off at the end. He forgot to put it on vibrate!"

The actress and the Canadian skating champ, who met while competing on the FOX reality show three years ago, tied the knot in front of 100 family and friends at a hotel in San Luis Obispo.

"We wanted to celebrate Lloyd and I coming together as a family," says Swanson, referring to 2-year-old son Magnus, and Eisler's children from a previous marriage, Ethan Harley, 4, and Seth Keenan, 3.

Swanson, 39, wore a strapless ivory wedding gown by Amy Michelson and shoes by Carmen Steffens as she walked down the aisle to Van Morrison's "Crazy Love." Eisler, 45, wore a tux by Nicole Miller.

During the ceremony, the couple and their combined children placed individual flowers in a vase, symbolizing a family bouquet.

"It's about perfect happiness and unity," says Swanson, who lost 45 lbs. in time for her wedding with the help of The Medifast Diet and regular exercise, including martial arts, skipping rope and treadmill work.

The newlyweds danced their first dance to Edwin McCain's "I'll Be," a song they performed to on their reality show. At the reception, guests, including actors Paul Reubens and Maeve Quinlan, dined on filet mignon and a four-tier wedding cake.

"We're excited about the future," says Eisler. "Kristy is getting back into acting and I'm building my coaching career. Hopefully everything will work out."

Swanson is best known for her role in the 1992 movie Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Eisler is a former Olympic figure skater.
    Hope Kristy keeps in mind that what they'll do with you, they'll do TO you.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Maybe Skating with Celebrities should have been changed to the Bachelor. Nobody ever seems to get married on the Bachelor.

FORT Fogey

figure staking is missing a huge star ,especially in the usa.

I was double checking the dates for the World Figure Skating Championships today because I knew they were coming up soon.
    They are in Los Angeles, CA Mar 23-29, 2009

The current lineup as of Feb 28th listed on the U.S. Figure Skating site for this competition is as follows (or course there is a disclaimer that this is subject to change):
    Ladies:
    Alissa Czisny
    Rachel Flatt
    I hope Alissa can pull out a good performance, but I just can't get excited about Rachel Flatt.

Men:
    Jeremy Abbott
    Evan Lysacek
    Brandon Mroz
    I guess they decided not to give Wier another shot after his dismal showing at nationals. I think he is talented, but I can't blame them after seeing what he has done (or not done) lately...

Pairs:
    Keauna McLaughlin & Rockne Brubaker
    Caydee Denney & Jeremy Barrett
    I can't think of who this Denney/Barret team is - the site had them listed on the "reserve team" which came after Team A, Team B, and Team C, so they must have really improved this season if they are supposed to compete at worlds!!

Dance:
    Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto
    Meryl Davis & Charlie White
    Emily Samuelson & Evan Bates
    w00t!! Three dance teams for the US!! I hope Belbin & Agosto are in good form - I missed them at Nationals and the announcer said they had been dealign with injuries.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 03-06-2009 at 05:08 PM. Reason: add comment

I found the broadcast schedule for the 2009 World Championships. I think it is rather ridiculous. All of the times shown are eastern time. Since it is in LA and they are broadcasting a bunch of it live here in the US, it ends up being shown at some crazy times (for me anyway - I can't stay up till 1am on a work day to watch skating). Since I am behind the times and don't have a DVR, I guess I'll be breaking out the video tapes.

Wed March 25, 2009 2009 ISU World Figure Skating Championships Oxygen 4:30pm - 6:30pm
    Pairs short program

Wed March 25, 2009 2009 ISU World Figure Skating Championships Oxygen 6:30pm - 8:30pm (Live)
    Men's short program

Thurs March 26, 2009 2009 ISU World Figure Skating Championships Oxygen 12:00am - 2:00am (Live)
    Pairs free skate

Thurs March 26, 2009 2009 ISU World Figure Skating Championships Oxygen 11:00pm - 2:00am (Live)
    Men's free skate

Fri March 27, 2009 2009 ISU World Figure Skating Championships Oxygen 4:30pm - 6:30pm
    Original dance

Fri March 27, 2009 2009 ISU World Figure Skating Championships Oxygen 6:30pm - 8:30pm (Live)
    Women's short program

Sat March 28, 2009 2009 ISU World Figure Skating Championships Oxygen 12:00am - 2:00am (Live)
    Free dance

Sat March 28, 2009 2009 ISU World Figure Skating Championships NBC 9:00pm - 11:00pm (Live)
    Women's long program

ETA - I hope all of you that are skating fans have the Oxygen network!!!!!
    I updated this with the event info that an LA paper is reporting. The paper is reporting that a lot of the stuff that is listed as "Live" is actually being shown on a three hour delay. I wonder if it is to hit primetime on the west coast?? It would have been nice if they could have shown it in the same time slot in all time zones.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 03-24-2009 at 12:57 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks for posting this! I almost forgot it was time for Worlds.

Bah, Oxygen is it's own premium tier on my provider .
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

It took me at least a week to get thru all of the coverage of the world championships that I taped. I did skip the short programs because I would have been on complete overload if I had added those to my list.
    A few thoughts...

Pairs - I still don't like the effect that the new scoring system has had on pairs. They appear to skate much slower and a lot of the "death spiral" type moves now involve edge changes to rack up more points, but I always think it looks awkward and it slows them down even more.

Dance - By far my fav part of ice skating competitions! It is nice to see so many talented couples in the race these days. I do wish that Belbin & Agosto could have finally taken first. Maybe in Vancouver!

Men - No Johnny Wier. It was really genuinely nice to see Evan Lysachek win the gold! His attitude has been a little off-putting to me in the past, but his reaction to his win was gracious and wonderful to see.

Ladies - The Asian women really stole the show!! They put on some really wonderful performances, especially Kim Yu Na who won the gold. Since I didn't watch the short program, I didn't see Alissa Czisny at all. She must have put on a pretty disappointing performance for them to completely leave her out of the long program broadcast! Rachel Flatt did a respectable job, especially since this is her first senior world championship. However, I still don't love her skating. Her style is not very "musical", but she is athletic and she knows how to work the scoring system.

They had Michelle Kwan with Dick Button in some of the conversational segments between groups in the ladies program. I had no idea she was seriously considering coming back for the Olympics in Vancouver. I have really mixed feelings about that idea. As much as I love to watch her skate, I hope she doesn't jump into the mix if she isn't in top condition. Somehow it just feels like it is time to let these younger girls shine. On the other hand, Michelle is only 28 (if I am remembering the conversation accurately) so I suppose she shouldn't be shoved off forcibly into retirement if she has another Olympics in her... If she doesn't compete again, I do wonder if she could get into broadcasting for skating competitions like Scott Hamilton, Dick Button, Peggy Fleming, etc. Her performance in this show was a little rushed, but with some experience I think she could do a really good job.

+ Reply to Thread