+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Figure Skating

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Figure Skating

Make that less than 1 hour. I am not happy.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I was blessed to catch a tiny bit of the women's solos, and a couple of the pairs...so beautiful, this is one of the only sports that I will watch on TV. I don't know their names.

The couple that did the elongated squats with one leg extended...that was some original choreography.

FORT Fogey

I love to watch figure skating. But........ well, since this is NHL All-Star weekend and hockey players are NOT supposed to like "toe picks", the Young Guns won out tonight!

There are SOME hockey players that do like figure skaters. Bret Hedican plays for the Anaheim Ducks and is married to figure-skater Kristi Yamaguchi. He credits his wife for his improved skating skills. He says that she gave him a few tips along with "private lessons".

I have a few comments. These are my completely unprofessional opinion!! (Please overlook if butcher any of the name spellings)

Pairs
    I liked the team that won McLaughlin & Brubaker. They did a good job, especially considering that the girl had been sick. From her coughing before her skate, I was surprised she made it thru without breaking into a fit of hacking!!
    Overall I was kind of bored by the pairs. One of the commentators mentioned that under the new rules the pairs are skating much slower to make their moves score more points. It is really evident. Speed is one of the things that used to really make it easy to differentiate a really great pairs team!!

Ice dancing
    I was really sad to hear the Belbin & Agosto were not competing. I hadn't realized they were out due to injury - I think they said it was Ben Agosto's back. I hope they can come back soon!!

(1) Davis & White - They did a really good job. It will be interesting to see how they place at worlds, because they definitely looked like they are strong enough to compete there!

(2) Samuelson & Bates - They did a nice job. I think their music was a bit tedious. There was no change to break up their program into differing segments

(3) Navarro & Bonamentre - They were very fun. Watching ice dancing as a kid, I never would have thought I would hear skaters dancing to Fat Boy Slim in competition!!

(?) Summerset & Gilles - The guy in this pair tripped during the twizzles and they dropped out of the top set of finishers, but I still wanted to comment on them. I am looking forward to seeing more of this pair because I thought they had some interesting and inventive moves. I hope they change up their look because the guy's costume was distractingly ugly. I remember seeing the guy's sister Alexe Gilles in the ladies competition. I thought she was charming and surprised to hear that she is 5'7" - that is very tall for ladies skating!!

Ladies
    (1) Alyssa Czisny - It is so nice to see a sometimes inconsistent skater to pull thru and win! Esp given the one fall she had. The rest of her program was very nice, so I was glad it was good enough to give her first!!

(2) Rachel Flatt - I feel the same way I did last year about her. She does all the "stuff", but I just don't enjoy watching her as much as the other girls. She is a powerhouse skater. Scott Hamilton kept saying that she is "automatic" and that was exactly how it felt to me - it is like she is on automatic pilot and there is no feeling behind the movement.

(3) Caroline Zhang - She is like the polar opposite of Rachel Flatt. I love watching her skate. She is a bit slower than the other girls but her movement is absolutely gorgeous. She practically oozes the music and I really look forward to seeing her mature in her skating. It still kind of annoys me that the new scoring system seems to heavily weight the technical over the artistic.

(4) Ashley Wagner - She was in 12th place after the short program. She had a great long program - in fact I think she won the long program. It was enough to pull her up to fourth overall.

(5) Mirai Nagasu - She won nationals last year at only 14 years old. They said she was having a difficult year: grew 4 inches, injured her foot, and was generally just dealing with a lot of teenager stuff and starting high school. She hit the boards on her first jump in the short program and I thought she was going to hit them on her second jump also! I felt so bad for her before the long program because she was crying as she went out onto the ice. She really looked like she did not was to be there at all. She skated a wonderful long program and looked so relieved and happy when she was done - good for her!!

I started watching the men on Sunday, but after seeing Johnny Weir fall apart I kinda lost interest. It sounded like Weir had an illness a while back that screwed with his training mid-season. I think my lack of interest was partly to fact that there was no competition between Weir and Lysacek but mostly overload from watching all of the other skating.

Men's results:
    (1) Jeremy Abbott
    (2) Brandon Mroz - apparently nationals was this guy's senior level debut!
    (3) Evan Lysacek
    (4) Ryan Bradley
    (5) Johnny Weir

It looks like the European Championships were also held over the last week. I'm going to have to poke around to see if they are planning to televise any of that - I know in the past sometimes they have aired them late in the US.

After that there is the ISU World Figure Skating Championships - March 22-29, 2009.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 01-26-2009 at 10:54 AM.

I am in the Evan Lysacek camp of supporters. I really appreciate the masculinity that he brings to the ice. He has such beautiful lines. I was shocked that he placed third; c'mon Evan...get your act together!! Jeremy Abbott was most impressive!! Now I've got to get his teeth fixed! Brandon Mroz........just WOW!! Hope he's not just a flash in the pan.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Count me as an Evan fan, too! *pantpantpant* When I was watching the men's championship, I thought I heard one of the announcers say something about how TPTB might still add Weir to the team. If he did as poorly as he did and placed as low as he did, how could they do that? Why would they do that? If they did add him, does that mean Evan would get left off since he placed 3rd?

Will they add him as an alternate, or do they already have their alternate (which I'm sure that they do)? Based on what they know that Weir can do, I could see them just having him make the trip with the potential of working him in. I think he'd be worth the money spent whether he gets to compete or not. I could see them pulling one of the "baby skaters" for an "injury" and plugging Weir in.

Results from the 2009 European Championships

MEN
    1. Brian Joubert - France - 232.01
    2. Samuel Contesti - Italy - 220.92
    3. Kevin Van Der Perren - Belgium - 219.36

LADIES
    1. Laura Lepisto - Finland - 167.32
    2. Carolina Kostner - Italy - 165.42
    3. Susanna Poykio - Finland - 156.31

PAIRS
    1. Savchenko/Szolkowy - Germany - 199.07
    2. Kawaguchi/Smirnov - Russia - 182.77
    3. Mukhortova/Trankov - Russia - 182.07

DANCE
    1. Khokhlova/Novitski - Russia - 196.91
    2. Faiella/Scali - Italy - 186.17
    3. Kerr/Kerr - Great Britain - 185.20

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Ok, I guess this would go here...they both gross me out!

Kristy Swanson and Lloyd Eisler Get Married! - Weddings, Kristy Swanson : People.com
    By Lorenzo Benet

Originally posted Saturday February 07, 2009 07:30 PM EST
    Kristy Swanson and Lloyd Eisler's first wedding photo! Photo by: Steve Gatlin PhotographyKristy Swanson and Lloyd Eisler Get Married! | Kristy Swanson
    Skating with Celebrities winners Kristy Swanson and Lloyd Eisler were married on Saturday, the couple confirms exclusively to PEOPLE.

"It was awesome and I feel amazing," Swanson tells PEOPLE. "[The ceremony] was perfect even though Lloyd's cell phone went off at the end. He forgot to put it on vibrate!"

The actress and the Canadian skating champ, who met while competing on the FOX reality show three years ago, tied the knot in front of 100 family and friends at a hotel in San Luis Obispo.

"We wanted to celebrate Lloyd and I coming together as a family," says Swanson, referring to 2-year-old son Magnus, and Eisler's children from a previous marriage, Ethan Harley, 4, and Seth Keenan, 3.

Swanson, 39, wore a strapless ivory wedding gown by Amy Michelson and shoes by Carmen Steffens as she walked down the aisle to Van Morrison's "Crazy Love." Eisler, 45, wore a tux by Nicole Miller.

During the ceremony, the couple and their combined children placed individual flowers in a vase, symbolizing a family bouquet.

"It's about perfect happiness and unity," says Swanson, who lost 45 lbs. in time for her wedding with the help of The Medifast Diet and regular exercise, including martial arts, skipping rope and treadmill work.

The newlyweds danced their first dance to Edwin McCain's "I'll Be," a song they performed to on their reality show. At the reception, guests, including actors Paul Reubens and Maeve Quinlan, dined on filet mignon and a four-tier wedding cake.

"We're excited about the future," says Eisler. "Kristy is getting back into acting and I'm building my coaching career. Hopefully everything will work out."

Swanson is best known for her role in the 1992 movie Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Eisler is a former Olympic figure skater.

+ Reply to Thread