+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Figure Skating

Re: Figure Skating

I have not watched the men's finals yet, I taped everything and have been watching it slightly delayed. However, they mentioned during the men's short program that Evan Lysachek did pull out due to injury.

My thoughts on the ones I did watch...

Pairs: I was most impressed by the Canadian couple Dube and Davison. They were absolutely lovely and it was not until after they skated that the announcers pointed out that they were the couple who were coming back from that terrifying accident where her face was cut open by his skate blade during their side-by-side spins last season. I actually got teary that they came back from that to get the bronze medal at this competition (would have been even better if they had placed higher)!!

Dance: I was sorry to find out that Belbin and Agosto had fallen in the compulsories. I missed the original dance, but they had a wonderful free dance so I was a little surprised they ended up out of the medal rankings altogether. I have been rooting for them to get to the top of the podium so I hope they can pull it off next year! If they couldn't get it, I was glad to see it go to the French team who have been together for so long - they seemed very deserving.

Women: First of all, I was sorry to see the US women end up so far down the rankings. It makes me wonder how those very young girls that were at the top of the US Nationals would have done. This was probably the first competition where I have really questioned the new scoring system. The commentators would make their comments on the programs, and then the results would be totally out of whack with what they were thinking. I know they aren't the actual judges, but Peggy Fleming and Dick Button have been doing this for a VERY long time - they know what they are looking at and typically it seems like their opinions are pretty on-target. This time the scores would get posted and there would be a moment of stunned silence and then someone would say something like "well there must have been something we missed..." or "there must have been some little mistakes that added up..." I will admit that during the short program I was so distracted by Carolina Kostner's hideous pantsuit that I really can't give an opinion on how she did (and I am not opposed to pants on female skaters - it was just those pants I have a problem with). However, her free skate was not good. She had shaky landings on pretty much every jump and did not have the musicality of many of the other women. I do not think she would have ended up with the silver under the old system. I was honestly amazed that she was in first after the short program.
    The Japanese women were very impressive. I was so sad for Miki Ando when she had to drop out, she seemed very broken hearted. I hope she doesn't get too overwhelmed by the media, the commentators said that the reporters covering the Japanese women were worse that paparazzi!! I was very happy to see Mao Asada win. She came back beautifully after that shocking fall and deserved to come out on top! Yukari Nakano also looked great (although I was partially blinded by her costume - it was so bright it actually looked like it was glowing on my broadcast). I was very surprised (as were the commentators) that she ended up out of the medals.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 03-24-2008 at 11:39 AM. Reason: typo

I havent seen figure skating on tv since last year, so I was glad to see it on this past weekend.

Premium Member

Crap. I completely missed it. Does anyone have a rundown of the medalists?

I can't give you the men's because I don't want to know until I see it, but here are the others:

Pairs:
    1 - Aliona Savchenko & Robin Szolkowy (I like this team, apparently there has been some controversy and some of their funding has been pulled because their coash Ingo Steuer has been accused of formerly being an informant to the Stazi - and I have no idea what has or has not been proven)
    2 - Dan Zhang & Hao Zhang (China)
    3 - Jessica Dube & Bryce Davison (Canada)

Dance:
    1 - Isabelle Delobel & Olivier Schoenfelder (France)
    2 - Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir (Canada)
    3 - Jana Khokhlova & Sergei Novitski (Russia)

Women:
    1 - Mao Asada (Japan)
    2 - Carolina Kostner (Italy)
    3 - Yu-na Kim (South Korea)

Premium Member

Yikes, I hadn't heard about that scandal. I remember Ingo Steuer most for the '94 Olympics, when Mandy Woetzel tripped and fell on her chin.

Thanks for the list.

ClosetRTWatcher, DO NOT look at my post until you've watched the Men's. I'll leave some space.

Men:
    1. Jeffrey Buttle (Canada) (So excited for him! )
    2. Brian Joubert (France)
    3. Johnny Weir (US)

♥Ali♥Gia♥Rozlyn♥ OutsideLookinIn's Avatar

Whatever happen to Sasha Cohen? Anybody know? Is she officially retired?
    "Unfortunately, I did not get any out of this big sex scandal that supposedly happened. If I had known that I was going to get accused of it, maybe I would have gone for it!" -- ROZLYN (Bachelor 14)
    -----------
    BRAD is still "THE HOTTEST Bachelor" ever!

Quote Originally Posted by pineapple;2865290;
    ClosetRTWatcher, DO NOT look at my post until you've watched the Men's. I'll leave some space.
    THANK YOU for warning me! Like a dork, I came in here to read and probably would have blundered right into the results!

So I finally got around to watching the men and what a stunner! Jeffrey Buttle did very well, but I did not think he was going to top Joubert, especially since Joubert ended up with almost 9 points over Wier - and then Buttle won by like 14 points - Crazy!

On a side-note. I was getting SO ANNOYED with the clapping audience. I have not had this peeve me so much in the past. I can't tell if it was my broadcast, but the clapping was really drowning out the music and it always seemed to be just a fraction off the beat. It seemed like it would be extraordinarily distracting to the skaters... Oh well, they certainly seemed less annoyed than I was.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by OutsideLookinIn;2867284;
    Whatever happen to Sasha Cohen? Anybody know? Is she officially retired?
    Sasha turned pro, she's headlining the Smucker's Stars on Ice tour.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Still no Michele info? Maybe I should ask Sasha since she was one of her main rivals.

I know what you mean about being annoyed by the clapping of the audience. While well-meant, it usually doesn't go well when the tempo of the music changes. I know they are trying to be supportive of the skaters...hell, maybe they're trying to warm themselves up a bit. Fortunately, those skaters know their music by heart (no matter how crappy the music sounds) from first note to last. I've always wondered how they really get into the music that doesn't "flow", musically/tonally.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread