+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Figure Skating

I taught myself how to skate, that stopping part was a pain in the body!!!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    oh so true, remember that time i stopped by ramming my head into the side of the rink, before i hit the ground, man that was fun.....good times, good times.......

I love Scott to, but I like a lot of the male skaters... Philip Candelero {sp?} Is awesome
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

I'm a huge Figure Skating fan. I competed for a long time on a provincial level. I was pretty good, but not quite OLYMPIC good, so I quit. Got too old.

My favourite are and usually always have been Canadian.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Did anyone catch the the US championships tonight. Am I allowed to post what happened because i'm not sure if it is done airing in other parts of the US? Oh well, all i can say is Michelle Kwan is absolutely inspiring!!!
    all that shimmers in this world is sure to fade

guess not
    all that shimmers in this world is sure to fade

Re: Figure Skating

I am dredging up this very old thread because it was the only thing I could fins on general figure skating. Does anyone around here follow figure skating?? I just watched the 2008 US Championships this weekend and I'm wondering if anyone had thoughts on it. Here are mine (please overlook my botching of the name spellings):

Ice Dance: First of all, this is my fav event so I wish it got more coverage!! This is the first time I have caught Belbin and Agusto this season. I was glad to see them do so well, but surprised they weren't higher up going into the final round!

Women: Too bad for Kimmie Meissner. I would really like to see her do well again, but I have seen both of her last two performances where she fell on her first to jumps. Overall I was impressed by the up-and-coming girls. Mirai Nagasu, who took the gold was excellent. I was not so impressed with the one who took silver, Rachel Flatt. She seemed like a very sweet girl, but her skating didn't feel very polished to me. I ended up feeling like she must have done a really good job playing the scoring system. Maybe she will get more polished and her style will grow on me. Ashley Wagner (3rd) was fun to watch. I was also really impressed with Caroline Zhang, who I believe finished 4th (maybe 5th?). I was surprised she didn't jump up more in the standings after the free program. I am looking forward to watching all of these girls in the future!!

Men: I thought Johnny Weir should have taken it over Lysachek. He just has a more engaging performance. I think the new scoring system has its benefits, but IMO it doesn't reward performance level enough. Amazing that they could end up with an exactly tied score with this system! I felt bad of the poor sportscaster that had to interview Weir and Lysachek after the short program, there was so much tension between the two of them it was probably one of the most awkward interviews I have seen.

Pairs: This is the only competition I missed

Now I'm just waiting to watch the World Championships in March!!!

Yes, I wish they would cover more of Nationals, but I enjoyed tonight. I was surprised at how they really played up the drama between the two forerunners - I mean, we all know there's a rivalry but they really milked it. But I guess the way the results turned out it was appropriate. I couldn't believe they had the exact same score.

I think Evan Lysacek really shines in his footwork sequences and puts a lot of energy into it. John Weir is more ballet-like and I just like his skating style. He reminds me of John Curry. It is fun watching the men but I admit I enjoyed yesterday's performances more.

I was not so impressed with the one who took silver, Rachel Flatt. She seemed like a very sweet girl, but her skating didn't feel very polished to me. I ended up feeling like she must have done a really good job playing the scoring system. Maybe she will get more polished and her style will grow on me. Ashley Wagner (3rd) was fun to watch.
    I agree with you on both of these. I was surprised that Rachel Flatt placed so high. She was hitting all her jumps but overall looked clunky compared to those fast little 14 year olds. Still, you couldn't help but smile at how much she enjoyed herself. She looked over the moon.

And Ashley Wagner was great! I get the feeling that if she had gone with a little different styling (ponytail?) she might have placed even a little higher. Her skating style and her music was more sophisticated and jazzy than the look she went with.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Fogey

wow, i stoped watching figure skating since that horrible canadian rip off. God knows how many rip off there have been over the year.
    how does the new scoring system work?

Premium Member

I agree with you guys about Rachel Flatt. I just found her extremely annoying. I loved Mirai and Caroline, enjoyed watching Ashley, but my heart broke for Kimmie. It's too bad 3 out of our top 4 girls are too young to go to World's, but at least the future of US Figure Skating seems to be in good hands.

It was pretty obvious that Evan and Johnny can't stand each other.

Oh, and I love Dick Button.

+ Reply to Thread