+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NASCAR New Points System

NASCAR New Points System

NASCAR: New points system in place for 2004

CONCORD, N.C. (AP) -- In a bid to add excitement and put more emphasis on winning, NASCAR changed its scoring system Tuesday by setting up a showdown for the Nextel Cup championship over the season's last 10 races.

"I'm confident it is going to work and the drivers and teams are going to like it after they hear all the details," NASCAR chairman Brian France said.

NASCAR has been criticized in recent years for using a points system that rewarded consistency more than winning. Matt Kenseth won the 2003 championship despite finishing first in just one race. Ryan Newman was sixth in the standings despite winning a series-high eight races.

France said the changes to the system that had been in place since 1975 are aimed at increasing attendance and TV ratings that usually drop in the fall because of competition from the World Series and NFL.

The new format will take effect after the first 26 races. The drivers in the top 10 and any other within 400 points of the leader will earn a berth in what NASCAR has dubbed the "Chase for the Championship."

Those drivers will have their point totals adjusted. The first-place driver will begin the final 10 races with 5,050 points, the second driver 5,045 and so on, with incremental drops of five points for all those involved in the championship showdown.

The drivers not involved in the championship will keep the points they have earned to that point in the season.

"This new model will provide all title contenders an opportunity to compete and contend for the championship," NASCAR president Mike Helton said.

He pointed out that no driver outside the top 10 in points with 10 races remaining has ever won the championship.

"This is not a playoff," Helton said. "Every one of our events will continue to be a Super Bowl and all 43 drivers will be trying to win every race."

The champion will be guaranteed a minimum of $5 million, while each of the other drivers who finish in the top 10 will earn $1 million. The 11th-place finisher will get a $250,000 bonus.

NASCAR also will award a race winner an additional five points, beginning with the season-opening Daytona 500 on Feb. 15.

He pointed out that no driver outside the top 10 in points with 10 races remaining has ever won the championship.

"This is not a playoff," Helton said. "Every one of our events will continue to be a Super Bowl and all 43 drivers will be trying to win every race."

The champion will be guaranteed a minimum of $5 million, while each of the other drivers who finish in the top 10 will earn $1 million. The 11th-place finisher will get a $250,000 bonus.

NASCAR also will award a race winner an additional five points, beginning with the season-opening Daytona 500 on Feb. 15.
    ______________________________ ______________________________ _______

I'm not a big fan of these changes. I do think that NASCAR should award more points to the winner of a race and that should be the only change. I believe giving the winner more points would have solved the dilemma faced last season with Matt Kenseth. But then again, what's wrong with being consistent?

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    I'm not a big fan of these changes. I do think that NASCAR should award more points to the winner of a race and that should be the only change. I believe giving the winner more points would have solved the dilemma faced last season with Matt Kenseth. But then again, what's wrong with being consistent?
    There's nothing wrong with being consistent however I don't think it's fair that someone can run all year in the Top 5/10, win once or twice, and in the end go home with the big prize. NASCAR racing to me, is all about the win..when you start the race your goal is to cross that finish line first, not finish somewhere NEAR the front. I don't know...I like the changes but at the same time I agree with your first thought - they should just give the winner more points.

I like Ryan Newman, I'm a Dodge fan 100%. How many DNF's did he have or finish way back in 35th/36th? I just firmly believe that consistently being in the top 5/10 and winning the championship should not have caused such a big stink. His team proved they could consistently put a good running car in the font of the pack for the whole year, not just some of the time. I really am not a fan of Jack Roush and really would have rather seen Newman win However, like I said, just give the winner a few more points. As it stood before, 1st and 2nd could have both ended up with the same points (185 I believe) if 2nd place led the most laps in the race. That most certainly is not right.

I think a change is needed, consistancy is great but it's about winning. Formula 1 had an excellent system, and is moving towards NASCARS unfortunatly, I don't think races at the end of the year should mean more though, the sport doesn't need a playoff like team sports. Let the winners get more points and cut off points for top 25 only. Let every race have the same value
    All the world needs a common thread, soccer, soccer, soccer
    TASAIL !!! ETHAN still #1!!! DISC Go Jon & Kris on TAR

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    I don't care what they say, this is a playoff system. i agree with Unklescott. First and second should not get the wame amount of points if second leads the most laps. Why not give the winner 200 points, then if 2nd leads the most he is still 15 back from the winner.

I don't know if you all recall this but in 84, I believe, Terry Labonte won the championship even though darrell waltrip won 12 races that year, why not change it then?

Now that we're into this chase, what do you all think of it?

I don't like it. I know that in many seasons past, the championship was locked up by now, and this year it isn't. But as my favorite driver, Dale Jarrett, just missed the cut, the best he can finish is 11th. Under the old system, I'd be routing for him to crack the top 10. I didn't even see most of the race on Sunday and he finished 3rd.

My 12 year old son passionately cheers for Bobby Labonte and he can barely stand to be around when the race is on. My husband and daughter are for Jimmy Johnson and Jeff Gordon, and even though they are in the chase, they aren't paying much attention to it.

Is there anywhere on the web that is keeping track of how this season would be under the old system? I could do the math myself, but I'm lazy.

This was supposed to be done to keep it exciting for the fans, but I think it is just the opposite, boring.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

New system compared to old system

here are the standings as of 11/8/04 new system and what would have been the standings under the old system.

Points as they are:

1) Kurt Busch, 6191
    2) Jeff Gordon, 6150, -41
    3) Dale Earnhardt Jr., 6144, -47
    4) Jimmie Johnson, 6143, -48
    5) Mark Martin, 6089, -102
    6) Tony Stewart, 6049, -142
    7) Ryan Newman, 6041, -150
    8) Elliott Sadler, 5869, -322
    9) Matt Kenseth, 5855, -336
    10) Jeremy Mayfield, 5836, -355

Points as they would be:

1) Jeff Gordon, 4726
    2) Dale Earnhardt Jr., 4640, -81
    3) Jimmie Johnson, 4645, -86
    4) Kurt Busch, 4341, -246
    5) Tony Stewart, 4424, -302
    6) Mark Martin, 4287, -439
    7) Jamie McMurray, 4286, -440
    8) Ryan Newman, 4222, -504
    9) Matt Kenseth, 4162, -564
    10) Elliott Sadler, 4160, -566
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Thanks, Ilikai. Where did you find these? Or did you calculate them yourself?

I feel bad for Jamie, stuck at 11th with no chance of making the top 10.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    yeah and the points nutscar took from Jr. for something he did off track that didn't mean sh*t on track wasn't fair either. if it was the old system it may not have been as bad of a hit, but now...... thats like spraining your anckle a day before a foot race....

Quote Originally Posted by veejer
    Thanks, Ilikai. Where did you find these? Or did you calculate them yourself?

I feel bad for Jamie, stuck at 11th with no chance of making the top 10.
    Veejer - I'm not sure where Ilikai got his info (Thanks for posting that by the way, Ilikai ) but NASCAR also has a page where you can view the standings had they not went with the new points system. LINK HERE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast