+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Peach Bowl= Redneck Haven???

just above the horizon, but below the ozone

The Peach Bowl= Redneck Haven???

City Braces for Peach Bowl
    By CHIP TOWERS
    Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer

Mayor Shirley Franklin and the Atlanta City Police commented late Sunday night on Clemson University and the University of Tennessee being paired in the annual Chik-fil-a Peach Bowl. This year the Peach Bowl will be played on January 2nd. Speaking at youth rally Mayor Franklin expressed concern over the schools that were chosen to be in the Peach Bowl, "since I have been in office we have worked very closely with the City Police to handle volatile situations such as FreakNic, flag protests, and numerous civil rights marches, but that may pale in comparison to what will happen at New Years this year."

Traditionally Clemson University and the University of Tennessee are well represented at bowl games in which they play. Terry Don Phillips, the Director of Athletics for Clemson, says they expect more than 30,000 fans to go to Atlanta for the game. Mike Hamilton, the Director of Athletics for Tennessee, says he guesses that about 30,000 UT fans will make the trip also.

What concerns Mayor Franklin and Chief of Police Richard Pennington is 60,000+ fans that are generally perceived as "Red Necks" in one place. Chief Pennington says that they have already heard that Skoal Smokeless Tobacco, Old Crow Whiskey, Marlboro, Swisher Sweet Cigars, Dodge Ram Pickups, Pedigree Dog Food, Wrangler Blue Jeans, Utz Pork Rinds, Clear Blue Easy Home Pregnancy, and many are sending marketing representatives for the Bowl Game.

Charles Goodwin President of the Atlanta Area Hotel Association says that his association is concerned by the picks also. "Every Motel 6, Red Roof Inn, and Howard Johnson has been booked within 50 miles of the city, however the Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, and every Hilton and Marriott have less than 20% occupancy for the same time".

Thomas Gunding of KOA Camping in Georgia says that they are excited about the Clemson UT matchup. "Everyone in the campground industry knows that Clemson and UT fans love to sleep outdoors so we are really excited about this game". When asked if rates would increase with demand Gunding replied "we find that the normal Clemson and UT fan will not pay more than $8 a night for a site so we will try to keep it in that range, oh and pets including sheep are allowed".

When asked what specific precautions Atlanta would take for the swarming orange clad fans from both schools, Chief Pennington replied "On I75 and I85 we will be setting up gun rack removal road blocks and marriage license inspection points leading into the city", when asked about the marriage license inspection Pennington said "Atlanta City Statute 413A states that no one is permitted into the City who is unlawfully married to their Sister, Brother, Mother, Father, Grandmother, GrandFather, Aunt, Uncle, first cousin of either sex by birth. Pennington also stated that no farm animals will be allowed to stay overnight in Atlanta City Hotels. Overnight sleeping in pickup truck beds will not be permitted anywhere within the city limits.

When told of these restriction Clemson's Terry Don Phillips and UT's Mike Hamilton said that the number of fans may be cut in half. Terry Don Phillips said that he was in negotiations with numerous farms in the Gwinnett County area to try to accommodate those Clemson fans travelling with animals. UT's Hamilton said that he will be in touch with Mayor Franklin to try and relax the marriage inspections.

Being from Tennessee, I can tolerate a lttle teasing/poking fun at my southern heritage. Heck, I've even been known to poke fun at myself as some of my posts on Simple Life attest. However, IMO Chip Towers, Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer, has gone just a little too far with this. I'm quite sure that the majority of UT alumni are not married to their Sister, Brother, Mother, Father, Grandmother, GrandFather, Aunt, Uncle, first cousin of either sex by birth. I wonder if Mr. Towers himself is allowed in the city limits?
    "Gee, golly garsh Mr. Towers, Ah sertinlly wud like to cume to yur sity, butt Ahm knot sofistiicated enuff to b lett luce inna big ol' sity like Hotlanta. Becides, Ah mite luuse mah sheep."

Yep. I'm with you, Unk. I'm surprised this was actually printing in the AJC.

*As if* Atlanta is a bastion of culture and sophistication.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpkin
    Yep. I'm with you, Unk. I'm surprised this was actually printing in the AJC.

*As if* Atlanta is a bastion of culture and sophistication.
    I know they had a decent strip joint half a block from the Atlanta Hilton and Towers and Marriot thats across the street from the Hilton. Can't get much more cultural than that! And the table dance was sophistication and balance galore.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

What was that club in Atlanta that was involved with the pro athletes and prostitution (oops alleged prostitution) ring?

wasn't that the Platinum(sp) club? Up on Peachtree? I was alluding to Cheetah's II.
    *not that I know where all the strip joints are, just the ones in the cities I visited*
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

+ Reply to Thread