+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: BCS - Love it or Hate it? (college football)

Very Proud Grandpa! LoneStarSpur's Avatar

BCS - Love it or Hate it? (college football)

I happen to like it, but know I'm in the minority.

Texas should beat aggy and get an at-large bid. TCU is out and rightfully so.

I'd like to see OU and OSU in the Sugar Bowl.

-Randy

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    Are you kidding me?? BCS is a joke-
    USC is #2 in the human polls and those wack job computer polls should be totally eliminated- those things are off the wall and inconsistent. OU and USC in the Sugar Bowl. USC is clearly more talented then OSU and would be the ONLY team in the country to give OU a good game...

i'm all for an 8 team playoff (teams eliminate 1 or 2 cupcake non conference games off their schedule)- then we take the conference winners from the 5 major conferences, and the next 3 highest rated teams... 3 weeks of playoffs...
    you could keep the sponsors happy by having a Circuit City Citrus Bowl Quarter final game, or the Home Depot Fiesta Bowl Semi-final game

Like I wrote...I know I'm in the minority.

OSU will lose, and probably big, to Michigan so USC will be the sacrificial lamb in the Sugar Bowl.

The BCS, with all its faults, has at least given us a 1 vs. 2 each year. And that's more than can be said pre-BCS.

We'll probably see a playoff before this decade is out but the playoffs will make the regular season much less important. This weeks OSU-Michigan game is for all intents and purposes a playoff game.

BCS is flawed but is better than before.

-Randy

what makes the BCS a joke is the way they utilize the computer polls... the fact that TCU was effecting the overall margin was absurd... and NO the BCS has not given us 1 vs 2 each year... nebraska got in a few years ago as a #3 team over a #2 oregon.

i fear that college football is nowhere near getting a playoff... why would they be? the NCAA already has a cash cow that brings in a TON of $$$ (and this wont change until the smaller MAC, WAC, and Conf USA band together and install a little bit of fear in the larger conferences).
    the BCS just fires the speculation and keeps everybody talking about college football each week- right to the end... the only part of the BCS i like is that it keeps the regular season more interesting with all the specualtion- how big of a game would OSU and UM be this weekend if we had a playoff and they both had already secured spots in the top 8- the game becomes meaningless...
    i'd still prefer a playoff though...

I agree that the computer polls wreak havoc on the BCS rankings. Right now the New York Times has USC 5th while the rest of the world has them 2nd or 3rd. NYT also has Florida 4th. I know that the computer rankings throw out the worst rank so USC's 5th doesn't hurt them, but it seems like a lot of these computer rankings are almost arbitrary. The Computer Average Ranking Systems (Especially the New York Times) want to be controversial and different from the pack so they make weird choices. And don't even get me started on East Coast bias.

The strength of schedule is also crazy wildcard. Teams don’t have a ton of control over this. The schedules are done years before, so it is difficult to gauge the quality of your team 5 years down the road to try and get a “National Champion” type schedule. Plus all the small conference schools can’t help but play weak opponents. That’s who’s in their conference.

The fact that Ohio State barely beat a very good team in Purdue does not imply that they have shown they are better than a USC team that has crushed a lowly opponent like Arizona. Both teams have done what is expected of them. The rankings should not have changed.

All that being said, the BSC is not a bad thing. I would much prefer a playoff system, but I think that there is way too much money, and way too much tradition within the bowl system to allow that. What the BCS gives us is a single champion, none of the co national champion crud we had in 1991 with Washington and Miami. We may not agree with the champion, but at least there is only one. Secondly the BCS gives us all something to talk about. Many hours have been spent with friends over beers discussing the nuances of the latest BCS poll and how it sucks. And that is a good thing.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by QuinntheEskimo
    USC is clearly more talented then OSU and would be the ONLY team in the country to give OU a good game...

(My beautiful Avatar is a picture of me!!)

Quote Originally Posted by QuinntheEskimo
    what makes the BCS a joke is the way they utilize the computer polls... the fact that TCU was effecting the overall margin was absurd... and NO the BCS has not given us 1 vs 2 each year... nebraska got in a few years ago as a #3 team over a #2 oregon.
    BCS isnt all computers are they?
    I see some BCS trends every year, i.e: Michigan is very favored, and Texas to a degree.
    I dunno how the the enitre 2001 Oregon scandal came about. I'm thinking it had somthing to do with Eric Crouch, but i'm not sure. One thing that i am sure of is that Oregon couldn't have put up any better of a fight than Nebraska did against that Miami all-star team.
    (My beautiful Avatar is a picture of me!!)

The two main polls that almost everyone looks at for a ranking is the AP (Associated Press) and the ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll. This is how the Co champion Washinton/Florida fiasco happened in 91. Washington was #1 in one poll, and Florida in the other. These two human based polls are weighted as part of the BCS equation. The Average of Anderson & Hester, Richard Billingsley, Colley Matrix, Kenneth Massey, New York Times, Jeff Sagarin's USA Today and the Peter Wolfe rankings are also factored in. Then these averages are tweeked by Strength of Schedule, Quality Wins, and Number of Losses.

As far as the 2001 Ducks go, I'm sure they could have put up a much better fight against Miami. I have absolutely nothing to base that on, except for the fact that i am a Oregon alum, and therefore declare it so.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

Now that I've declared that I like the BCS, they go and drop my 'Horns from 5 to 6.

iirc, the computer polls are there to put some objectivity into the rankings. TCU was ranked so high because they took margin of victory out of the equations a couple of years ago...at the coaches' request.

If you look at some of the bowl projections, we're going to have some great matchups besides the OU-USC Sugar Bowl.

I've also heard that they are thinking about taking the top 4 and having a little playoff. Of course, then you have the problem of picking the top 4. Or the top 8. Or the top 16.

-Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    BCS isnt all computers are they?
    Obviously the BCS is not all computers... but there are too many computer components (rankings, strength of schedule, "quality" wins). Last week it was Ohio State threatening to take over the BCS as a #3 ranking, this week it's LSU- and with LSU playing Arkansas and either UGA, FLorida or Tennessee in the SEC championship game- it's possible they could over take USC and get in via the Nebraska way (as a #3 ranking).
    I'm also curious to see if its possible that if it's possible for USC as a solid #2 in both Human polls and the computer polls- that if all the computer components are weighted enough to pull them down from that position and let LSU sneak into the championship game via a computer snafu...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast