+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: BCS - Love it or Hate it? (college football)

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    OU has only themselves to blame really, for underestimating (along with every single other person in the country) K-State (who by the way, did not play USC this season, but beat them in both 2001 and 2002)

I don't think they'll make the same mistake and underestimate LSU. I'm excited about all of the bowl games actually. I watch every one that I can.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by QuinntheEskimo
    someone stole the "C" out of the BCS... BS, what a travesty! Why dont they throw the human polls out of the window? what do they matter- some little snot nose (non-football knowing) computer geek sitting in a back closet somewhere is ultimately deciding the formula to see who plays for the National Championship
    I hear comments like this all the time and it always bothers me. The computer polls are not made by some randomly picked kids with laptops. Most of the guys running these polls have been working on them for decades. Their systems are retroactively applied to entire history of college football with impressive accuracy.

Were your comments directed at the BCS formula instead of the computer polls? If so, it's not snot nosed computer geeks causing your complaints. Blame ignorant conference commisioners who don't understand how the computer algorithms work so they impose ineffective guidelines like removing MoV to weaken their effectiveness.

what do the coaches know?
    I often wonder the same thing. The weekly polls come out so quickly. If a coach spends his Saturday coaching his own team's game, does he even get a chance to watch the other teams play before he votes? Of does he just skim the boxscores and previous poll rankings?

... what do the writers know?
    These guys definitely watch the games, but if they're so smart why aren't they coaches?

If it were up to me I'd blow up the whole damn system.
    Tugboats and arson. That's all I ever get from you guys.

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kchamber
    Were your comments directed at the BCS formula instead of the computer polls? If so, it's not snot nosed computer geeks causing your complaints. Blame ignorant conference commisioners who don't understand how the computer algorithms work so they impose ineffective guidelines like removing MoV to weaken their effectiveness.

If it were up to me I'd blow up the whole damn system.
    I realize that the computer geek reference is only a public perception of the process and I also realize the existing computer polls are a product of years and years of working with algorithms etc etc (albeit still crap)... and i ahve already adequately addressed the BCS commissioners in a previous post.

Essentially, my problem is with the formula- the original BCS notion was that computers would HELP inject a little bit of Objectivity into the decision making process- but the Human polls would still be weighted more... instead what we get is the computer polls are weighted more- and the Human polls help instill a little bit of Subjectivity (common sense) into the decision making process...

and i wouldnt quite blow up the whole system- some minor tweks here and there, and this all works out perfectly for a nice little 4 team playoff- they got the seeds right anyway...

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    See, I would argue that the human polls are not very objective either. As I mentioned in an earlier post, schools that are not traditionally powerhouses have a very low shot at making it to the top just because they don't start out in preseason polls that way.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Very Proud Grandpa! LoneStarSpur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneStarSpur
    The controversy will be over, for a while at least , when Michigan crushes USC.

-Randy (and I'll be rooting for USC)
    While this doesn't rise to the stupidity level of my "Titanic will be a huge bomb" prediction, it's pretty close.

USC was very impressive. It's a shame we won't get to see a USC vs. OU/LSU game.

-Randy
    'And it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive.'
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    Thank God this farce is over! What a joke- just another example of the "Oprahnization" of society- it's okay to have two winners??? enjoy the Nat'l Championship- with the tagged asterisk on the end of it...
    i was happy that 3 coaches decided to buck the BCS agreement and vote USC #1- though a ton of coaches went to the media and said they wanted to do it- only three followed through!
    It also appears that one of the new proposals for next years BCS formula is to weigh the human polls more then the computer polls. A very small step forward...

Very Proud Grandpa! LoneStarSpur's Avatar
    Man, it sure would be sweet to see if LSU's corners could stand up to USC's awesome wide receivers.

A USC-LSU game would be a toss-up to me.

-Randy
    'And it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive.'
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345