+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BCS - Love it or Hate it? (college football)

FORT Fan
    Don't forget that Grossman's Gators would jump out to huge early leads, so Brock Berlin would often replace him by the middle of the third quarter. Rex's yards blew away the competition, save Carr, and he was only taking about 80% of the snaps. Crouch won because some voters were biased against voting for Grossman because he was just a Sophomore. Feh, the Heisman's a joke anyway.
    Tugboats and arson. That's all I ever get from you guys.

Very Proud Grandpa! LoneStarSpur's Avatar
    Any new thoughts after this debacle?

-Randy
    'And it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive.'
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

FORT Fan
    Well, we've got three great teams with one loss each. Of the three Oklahoma has the toughest schedule and lost to the best opponent, so they're #1. LSU has the second toughest schedule and lost to the second best opponent, so they're #2. USC has the easiest schedule and lost to the worst opponent, so they're #3. I guess that makes sense.

If Oklahoma's loss to Kansas St. makes you disagree, rant with me about the computers need to reinclude Margin of Victory.
    Tugboats and arson. That's all I ever get from you guys.

Very Proud Grandpa! LoneStarSpur's Avatar
    OU didn't win their conference and shouldn't be playing in the Sugar Bowl.

Of course, I'm a Longhorns' fan so you know how I feel about the Sooners.

-Randy
    'And it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive.'
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    someone stole the "C" out of the BCS... BS, what a travesty! Why dont they throw the human polls out of the window? what do they matter- some little snot nose (non-football knowing) computer geek sitting in a back closet somewhere is ultimately deciding the formula to see who plays for the National Championship... what do the writers know? what do the coaches know? Apparently nothing and nothing- since they both have USC as #1. All the computers essentially told us is that since the Big 12 and the SEC are the two best conferences in the country that representatives from those schools should play for the NC.

and a to LSS- how can you be a National Champ when you weren't even a conference champ?

the BCS guaranteed us to have the #1 v #2 teams in the country playing for the NC? well it's failed in 3 of the 5 years it has been used! maybe a #1 getting screwed will cause enough controversy to finally have a playoff... but i'm not holding my breath- those money grubbing BCS bastards- they dont really care who is a NC- as long as we go and spend a week at their bowl game or watch the games on tv...

Not to mention, there is no doubt that Georgia has been massively overrated this year, and the concept that LSU played a harder schedule than USC is laugh out loud funny.

Fricking east coast bias.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    0.16 points is the difference keeping USC out of the NC.
    in other words- Notre Dame's loss to Syracuse and Hawaii's lose to Boise State. How do two meaningless games on the last weekend determine who plays for the NC- unbelievable.
    The Computer Rankings are hugely weighted to the conferences strength of schdeule... So the computers say b/c OU played the toughest schedule (as part of the toughest conference) in the country- then that alone is reason enough to play for the NC. Of course a computer is not going to understand a USC loss to Cal in week 2 in triple OT...

I disagree with the East Coast bias... the New York Times computer poll was the ONLY poll to have USC ranked #1... and since USC is unanimous #1 in both human polls- there is no evidence of east coast bias- esp. considering all the media (east coast based) agreeing that USC is getting screwed... In fact some east coast coaches have indicated they might not vote with the BCS as they are "required" to as part of the AFSA, if Oklahoma wins vs. LSU.

Either way a split NC looms large... something the BCS was designed to prevent.

Oh I agree. If USC wins their bowl game, they will get the votes in one poll as #1.

It will be just like the old days.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Well only 2 conferences have an actual championship game that they are forced to play. So the Big 12 and SEC are penalized by having to play an extra game each year against a very good opponent.

I honestly feel that all 3 teams deserve to be there. I have felt for a very long time that a loss at the end of the season should not count more than that earlier in the season.

The BCS has been a joke since the inception. Obviously a playoff system is needed and I hope that one comes about because of the awesome Wildcat victory on Saturday night.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

*dons protective gear before submitting this post*

FWIW, here's a snippet from an article about the BCS brouhaha at the CNN website:

We can sit around and lament a system that prevented the No. 1 team in the polls from playing for the undisputed national championship. (Personally, I lament the pollsters for not having the cajones to move LSU to No. 1 after crushing a top five team.) Fact is, the system did exactly what it was designed to do, which is select the two teams that, on paper, accomplished the most against the best competition.

Or, we can celebrate these two very fruitful byproducts: A classic Rose Bowl matchup of top-ranked USC and No. 4 Michigan in which the Trojans will be playing for a share of the title, and the near-certainty that this year's controversy will accelerate the growing movement for a one-game "playoff" after the bowls.

Geaux Tigers!

*backs out of thread slowly*

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast