+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bucs' tell Keyshawn Johnson not to bother showing up

FORT Fogey
    Now Bill you can see how much the rest of us are suffering with receivers that don't get us points. Join the crowd! We gladly accept you

Leo
    Premium Member
    Looks like he found a soft landing.

Network Offers Spot in Studio
    By THE NEW YORK TIMES

Keyshawn Johnson, Tampa Bay's unhappy and deactivated wide receiver, will appear on Fox's National Football League studio program on Sunday, and could be a contributor through the rest of the season.

"We're starting with this week and we'll see where it goes from here," said Scott Ackerson, the producer of "Fox NFL Sunday." "I don't see why we wouldn't work with him in the future."

He added: "I'm happy with the four guys we have, but I'd like to see how things play out with Keyshawn. It can't hurt as long as we utilize him correctly."

I guess I'm going to stop watching Fox NFL Sunday. I'll also be sending them an e-mail today, registering my disgust with this latest turn of events.

FORT Fogey
    Ugh, why do they want him on FOX NFL Sunday? That show is very good without another jerk on it.

I don't watch it though anymore. I usually sleep through it and don't wake up till 1pm. Just call me a party animal

I e-mailed Fox.com and complained, and told them I'd be watching a different pre-game show as long as they felt it was necessary to include KJ on their show. I don't expect it to make a difference, and I sure will miss Jillian, but the show was going downhill anyway.

Very Proud Grandpa! LoneStarSpur's Avatar
    It's so out of character for Fox to do something like this.

-Randy

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    ... and I sure will miss Jillian, but the show was going downhill anyway.
    Then just do what I do, flip back to ESPN right after her segment

I set TiVo to record Inside the NFL on HBO for me, so I'll watch that at noon on Sunday, instead of Fox NFL Sunday this week.

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    i guess Fox felt left out since all the other pregame shows had their outspoken WR's?? not that Michael Irvin and Deion really have a whole to contibute to their shows, it really isn't a winning formula?!
    do we really need 2 hours of pre-game every week? just give me a quality, action packed 30 minutes... (like the good ole days with Brent , Irv and Jimmy the Greek)

Leo
    Premium Member
    And Keyshawn opens his mouth again. Can't someone duct tape his mouth already?

Keyshawn says he'd still play for Buccaneers

NEW YORK (AP) -- Keyshawn Johnson is still willing to play for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- despite differences with coach Jon Gruden.

The star wide receiver spent his first Sunday since being deactivated in a television studio instead of on the practice field, where the Bucs prepared for Monday night's game against the Giants.

"I didn't ask to be sitting here with you guys," Johnson said during Fox's weekly NFL pregame show.

The Bucs deactivated Johnson for the remainder of the year last week, saying his desire to leave Tampa was a distraction the team could no longer ignore.

Tampa Bay (4-6) has lost three straight games, and Johnson was frustrated with his role in Gruden's offense.

The two-time Pro Bowl selection said it was Gruden's decision to deactivate him, but that he shared responsibility for being shut down at a time when the Bucs seemingly need him most.

To remain in playoff contention, Tampa Bay probably will have to win at least five of its remaining six games.

"It's not all Keyshawn Johnson's fault and believe me, it's not all Jon Gruden's fault either," Johnson said.

The receiver approached Gruden and general manager Rich McKay last month after he had one reception in a 24-7 loss at San Francisco to tell them he did not wish to remain in Tampa beyond 2003.

He doesn't regret expressing his feelings, but said he should have let Gruden know he planned to spend time with his family in California rather than fly back to Florida with the team.

"I could have made a lot of things easier," Johnson said. "I should have went to Jon. I should have said, "You know what coach, I'm going to stay with my family."'

The receiver said his differences with the coach did not center on his desire to catch more passes.

"It wasn't a matter of, 'Hey you're not throwing me the football.' It was a matter of dealing with me as a human being and as a man," Johnson said.

He believes Gruden made the decision to deactivate him, not McKay, who traded two No. 1 draft picks to acquire Johnson from the Jets in 2000.

"He had to be in support of it, but Rich McKay did not want to do it. Nor did the owners, the Glazers," Johnson said, adding that he doesn't think McKay will be back with the Bucs next season.

Asked if he was embarrassed by being deactivated, Johnson said:

"I'm upset, but I don't know if I'm embarrassed because I know both sides of the party. It's deeper than Keyshawn Johnson and Jon Gruden in that organization, too."

The receiver was not fined and will be paid for the rest of the year. He's confident other teams will be interested when he's likely released or traded before next season.

"I'm not a player off the field that's a problem. Nor am I a player on the field that's a problem," he said. "I had a simple problem with a coach within those walls."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast