+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk about NCAA College Hoops '03-'04

Man! I missed a bunch of great games this weekend!

I didn't even know about that Stanford/Zags game. Stanford is looking really good at 7-0. They are always a force to be reckoned with.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Ok everybody! Here we go! With the College Football season winding down...here comes College Hoops Conference play! Wooohoooo!!!

Some conference games have already been played, but the new year brings on full conference action. Which team will rise to the top of the top heavy ACC? Can Wisconsin come up with a THIRD Big 10 championship? Will the Big 12 eat itself alive....and can a Big 12 team actually take the trophy come March? Will Stanford finally get some respect from the pollsters? Or is the Pac 10 just kinda weak this year? Upsets will be plentiful, as parity seems to be the buzzword of the year this year.

Monday brings 2 great matchups on ESPN....Texas at Providence(yeah, non-conference). If Provi can work its zone defense as well as they did against Illinois, Texas better watch out! And then there is Kansas at Colorado...a game which I will be at! Colorado is usually a middle of the pack kinda team, never really good, but always a thorn in your side. I am hoping for a spoiler game with CU winning by at least 2. But I hate Kansas, so I could be biased.

Bring your A-game, because things are starting to heat up!

Very Proud Grandpa! LoneStarSpur's Avatar
    I just gotta ask, mrdobolina, why do you hate Kansas so much?

It seems to rise to my loathing of the Dirt Burglers, aka Sooners.

-Randy
    'And it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive.'
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

I guess you can call me a success-hater! Thats what my roommate called me when I listed my most hated teams....Duke, Kansas, Arizona, Florida. Honestly, I am just sick of hearing about these teams as the ever-powerhouses. I guess I can throw N. Carolina in there too. But not as much as those other 4.

My loathing was deepened further this year when Roy Williams left Kansas for UNC, then Bill Self left Illinois(my alma mater and favorite team) for Kansas. I really respect Self, he is a great coach. But how easy is it to be a great coach when you walk from one up and coming program, to one that is just monster huge? Kansas is almost always good. I would have more respect for someone who decided "you know what, I am going to build the program where I am, and earn my chops that way".

I almost always pull for the underdog. The cinderella stories are the most intriguing ones. Therefore, I hate the evil stepsisters that have always had everything, the benefits, the gravy.

On another note, I must say your Longhorns are one impressive team. Texas has always been known as a football school. So I like how they took a lesser known basketball program, got some talent, and EARNED their way to a top program by being scrappy and tough.

Very Proud Grandpa! LoneStarSpur's Avatar
    Thanks for the 'Horn props. mrdoblina! We had to steal an ACC coach to get better. It should be an interesting Big12 season...very tough...lots of really good teams. Not really a great one though.

Watch out for Texas Tech.

-Randy
    'And it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive.'
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Stanford starts off the Pac-10 season 2-0. Still haven't suffered their first loss yet, and Josh Childress is back with the team. It's going to be another good year. But will it be a great one? Time will tell...
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Its already a good year for Stanford....but beware! I think they are slightly overranked at #4(most recent AP poll-1/5/04-1/12/04). They have only played 2 quality opponents...both on their home turf. And both teams(kansas and Gonzaga) have fallen quite a bit from their original perches. Pac10 isnt all that strong this year...UCLA is still rebuilding. Hopefully, Stanford will not get caught patting themselves on the back while looking at the rankings....it will lead to a BAD loss to a weak opponent.

Kansas and Gonzaga were on neutral courts, actually, although they were both close to home. But, yes, they need to somehow maintain focus through what looks to be a weaker-than-usual conference schedule.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Basically the Pac10 is:

Arizona
    Stanford
    Cal
    Oregon
    everyone else...
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Although Arizona's starting 5 are very good, Bill, I don't think their depth is as good as Stanford. I'd say it's more like:

StanfordArizona
    *yawn, look at watch*
    *make a sandwich*
    Everybody else

+ Reply to Thread