+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Talk about NCAA College Hoops '03-'04

Yay Illinois! The teams that needed a win in the Big 10 all lost in the last two days. Michigan State's probably in but Michigan and Purdue must win this weekend to be .500 in the conference. Getting swept by Northwestern isn't good for Iowa's chances. Last weekend I thought the Big 10 might miraculously get 4 or 5 bids but now it looks like 3 at most. (the conference tourney should be exciting because so many teams need the title to get into the NCAA's)
    Log off. That cookie sh*t makes me nervous. --Tony Soprano

So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" --Homer Simpson

re: Stanford
    Wow!

(last nights comeback at Washington State was pretty incredible)

So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" --Homer Simpson

Paulie's gotta be in heaven!!! Another outstanding--and lucky--finish for The Cardinal. They do seem to be a team of destiny right now. Their last game at Washington is going to be a tough one. Another buzzer beater?????

How 'bout them Illini, Brusch?? I'm not holding my breath for Sunday...they still have to win another one on the road, and teams from Illinois tend to choke at the last minute. It should be an interesting Big10 tourney, no matter what happens this weekend.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

I can't believe how that game ended! Seven points in the final 25 seconds. Amazing. And the crazy scramble at the end. Lottich just hurled that ball at the basket. Feet sideways, arms over his head, the defender's arm in his chest. And it swishes. Unbe-frickin-lievable! Coach Montgomery is right, though. They may have won the game, but they need to treat it as a loss. They weren't prepared. I imagine they were looking past the #8 team in the conference in anticipation of Washington. Let's hope that focus is there in Seattle.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Quote Originally Posted by brusch
    re: Stanford
    Wow!
    Three days later and it's all for naught, as far as the perfect regular season goes. Maybe it's for the best if their ultimate goal is San Antonio.

I didn't have much time to watch hoops today but several games ended at the same time so I still got to see some good finishes. Purdue and Indiana both finished 7-9 in the Big 10 with home losses, Conference USA has 5 teams tied for first with 12-4 marks and apparently DePaul is the #1 seed in the conference tournament. I'd forgotten how much I love this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by brusch
    ... still got to see some good finishes. Purdue and Indiana both finished 7-9 in the Big 10 with home losses, Conference USA has 5 teams tied for first with 12-4 marks and apparently DePaul is the #1 seed in the conference tournament. I'd forgotten how much I love this time of year.
    It's MADNESS TIME BAYBEE!!!!

Illinois can clinch outright Big10 title and #1 seed in Big10 tourney with a win at Ohio State today!! Ohio State wants the big spoiler!! Don't let it happen Deron Williams.

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    i've never felt great about teams with long winning streaks heading into the big tournament- maybe the Loss bodes well for Stanford!

the Crimson Tide (16-11) choked a big lead away against Miss State- but i'm pretty confident an 8-8 conference record, and a last game OT loss at Miss State wont hurt their chances (not to mention their #1 SoS, and #16 RPI).

Madness setting in. Cannot concentrate at work. Must. Read. Every. ESPN.com article.

I'm going nuts!! Its conference tourney time! And in 6 days, we find out what the field of 65 is going to look like! And who is going to be playing here in Denver!! This was a crazy weekend! Stanford loses to Washington, giving the Huskies good ammo for a berth in the tourney. Illinois wins a squeaker to take the outright Big10 title. (first for ILL since 1952!). Southern Ill loses in the semi's of the MVC tourney, to a hopeful SW Missouri State. Kansas quashes Mizzou's hopes for a tourney bid, Texas gets taken down a notch by K-State. DEPAUL!! gets the top seed in the C-USA tourney(in a 5 way tie for first in their regular season.)

MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like the down year the Pac-10 is having conference-wide may jeopardize Stanford's chances of receiving a #1 seed. They're going to have to do well in the conference tournament this weekend to shore up their resume. *fingers crossed* Can't wait for the NCAA's to get underway!
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

FORT Fogey
    for Stanford. I never come in the sports forum, but I've been watching Stanford games and reading about them everyday in the newspaper. I so so so wanted them to go undefeated... And now.... (taken from http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...llege_bkb_poll )
    Saint Joseph's Ranked No. 1 for 1st Time

By JIM O'CONNELL, AP Basketball Writer

Tiny Saint Joseph's and its ever-flapping Hawk have soared to the top of the basketball world. The Philadelphia school with an enrollment of 3,400 and not much recent sports history to brag about was No. 1 in the AP men's college basketball poll Monday for the first time. It's a dream come true," Hawks senior guard Jameer Nelson said. "At the same time, we have to take care of business these last few games. We'll still approach each game and practice the same way."

The Hawks (27-0) are the only unbeaten team in Division I, now that previously top-ranked Stanford was upset by Washington.

Saint Joseph's needs three victories in the Atlantic 10 tournament to become the first team since UNLV in 1991 to enter the NCAA (news - web sites) tournament without a loss.

The Hawks moved up from No. 2 thanks to the loss by Stanford (26-1) Saturday. That ended the Cardinal's three-week run atop the AP poll.

Saint Joseph's received 67 first-place votes and 1,795 points from the national media panel. Second-ranked Stanford was No. 1 on two ballots and had 1,648 points.

Gonzaga (26-2) moved up one spot to No. 3, the highest ranking in school history, and received one first-place vote. Mississippi State (25-2) moved up one place to fourth, switching positions with Duke (25-4), which was No. 1 on two ballots after losing to Georgia Tech and beating North Carolina.

Air Force moved into the Top 25 for the first time in school history. The Falcons (22-5), the No. 1 defensive team in the country, won the Mountain West regular season title.

Pittsburgh, Oklahoma State, Kentucky and Connecticut held sixth through ninth from last week, while Wisconsin moved up seven places to No. 10, its highest ranking of the season.

Texas was No. 11, followed by Illinois, Cincinnati, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Kansas, Syracuse and Providence.

The last five ranked teams were Arizona, Utah State, Memphis, Southern Illinois and Air Force.

Saint Joseph's is the sixth team to reach No. 1 this season, joining Connecticut, Kansas, Florida, Duke and Stanford.

"Being ranked No. 1 is a sign of steady improvement and the hard work we've put in all season," Saint Joseph's junior forward Pat Carroll said. The NCAA "tournament will prove who really is the No. 1 team in the nation, but right now, it's a good feeling to have that ranking in front of us."
    Oh well. I think they needed a loss so they don't get all cocky in the tourney. I'm sure they'll be able to do well in the tourney. Goooo Stanford!

+ Reply to Thread