+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baseball Hot Stove League 2003 - 2004

Baseball Hot Stove League 2003 - 2004

Houston traded Billy Wagner to the Phils for Brandon Duckworth and some minor league talent.

I think they are clearing salary room (Wagner made about $9 Mil a year) to make a run at Pettite.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Pettite turns down the Yankees offer on a contract and elects free agency.

Get ready Yank fans, your rotation is going to SUCK next year.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.

Fade to black
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill_in_PDX
    Pettite turns down the Yankees offer on a contract and elects free agency.

Get ready Yank fans, your rotation is going to SUCK next year.
    I doubt that.

If (and I still think they will resign Pettite) they don't resign Pettite you can be assured they will sign Colon or Millwood. I'll take a top three of Mussina, Contreras and Colon/Millwood. The 4 and 5 slots will be a mystery (God forbid they put Weaver in the rotation), but I have faith in George spending the NY fan's hard earned ticket money.

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    Millwood would fit perfectly in NY as a 3... he definately showed in Philly that he didnt hvae #1 potential and that he wasnt worth the $$$ (14 mil) they shelled out for him (14-12, high 3 ERA)... as a 3, he would get better matchups and have less expectations placed upon him- like his Atlanta days.

Is ANY reliever worth $9 mill?? now there's a great gig... pitch an inning every couple of nights!! of course my phillies only converted on 33 of 53 save opportunities- so maybe a high priced reliever will cure what ails em?

You are assuming Millwood would want to go to NY. There is no evidence of that as far as I have seen. In fact, all the rumor in Atlanta is that he is coming back there now that Maddux's salary is off the books.

In which case, the trade doesn't look quite so idiotic afterall. Okay, so it still does...

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill_in_PDX
    In which case, the trade doesn't look quite so idiotic afterall. Okay, so it still does...
    ya gotta remember that Millwood is represented by that jackass agent Scott Boras- so conventional wisdom is tossed out of the window on where Millwood goes... the highest bidder probably (NYY?)

The Braves can match the bid. They have tons of money too, and they basically opened the salary slot with Maddux's departure.

ok I missed something here, just what the hell did Atlanta do now with Gregg Maddux?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

He went free agent, they have no desire to sign him for what he is looking for.

San Diego or Arizona are expected to bid.

Congrats to ARod on a very well deserved, and long overdue, MVP award.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast