+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ice Dance Team Bourne/Kraatz Call It Quits

Ice Dance Team Bourne/Kraatz Call It Quits

Sad news for me. I met them long ago when I skated and before they became 'known'. I was always a big fan.

From Hamilton Spectator
    Bourne-Kraatz breaking up
    Bourne: `It's not happy news'

Kraatz: Pro skating's not for me

HAMILTON—The greatest ice dancing team in Canadian history is breaking up.

Reigning world champions Shae-Lynn Bourne and Victor Kraatz will honour touring commitments until mid-December, then will stop skating together. The couple turned pro after their emotional championship triumph in March.

It is an amicable split, but it was Kraatz's wish, not Bourne's. She wants to continue skating and will try to find an avenue to do so with Stars on Ice.

Kraatz shocked Bourne two weeks ago when he told her that he did not want to continue in pro skating. Kraatz said he wanted to pursue other interests. His partner and their agent from skating giant IMG tried to get him to at least take some more time to reconsider his decision, but Kraatz did not change his mind.

"What I want to say to Canadian fans is that I am not really ready to let go of skating," Bourne said last night. "I want to keep the doors open, whether it's for touring, or skating as a single, or whatever.

"It's kind of like a marriage and now a divorce. It's like I want to get married again."

"It's not happy news," Bourne said. "For me it came as a surprise. Two weeks ago it was a real shock, but I've had some time to get used to it. It just seems like now was our chance to enjoy it, perform without the pressure and really become creative.

"I wish Victor all happiness.I told him I respect him so much for being honest with me.

"But I don't like it."
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Aw, there are such a great team. Too bad for us but, I wish them the best of luck. Will they compete this year or have they already broken up?

They turned pro the end of last year. Victor doesn't want to compete on the professional circuit.

They have a few more shows, but after that, it's kaput.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

That's a real shame.
    I always found them to be a very inventive team.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread