+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smoking Gun ID's the Cubs game-wrecker

Smoking Gun ID's the Cubs game-wrecker

OCTOBER 15--Meet Steve Bartman. He's the poor 26-year-old Chicago Cubs fan who last night got his hands on that foul ball headed for outfielder Moises Alou's mitt. Bartman, who attended the University of Notre Dame, works for a Chicago-area consulting firm and serves as coach for a local youth baseball program. We wanted to speak with Bartman about last night's incident, but he did not return messages left on his office voicemail. And when we dialed Bartman up at his apartment--about three miles from Wrigley Field--we got a recorded message saying that his number had been disconnected. Which is probably not a bad idea.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/cubfan1.html

This poor guy. I'm in Chicago this week, and that's all anyone's talking about. This guy needs to leave the city for a vacation, quick-like.

I totally feel for this guy. I think it is horrible journalism to be publishing his name. This guy is just a fan. The Cubs are professional athletes that are responsible for their actions.
    Who shot who in the what now?

He issued an apology today. He said he was sorry
    "from the bottom of this Cub's fan's broken heart".
    I feel bad for him. Everyone does something stupid sometimes. It just usually doesn't happen in front of 40,000 people.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    He issued an apology today. He said he was sorry
    "from the bottom of this Cub's fan's broken heart".
    I feel bad for him. Everyone does something stupid sometimes. It just usually doesn't happen in front of 40,000 people.
    how can this be stupid? he was at least 12 feet above the playing field, never saw alou coming and had two other people trying to catch it too. if he didn't touch it, they would have. besides its not like he leaned over the railing, it was even with the bleachers. the A$$hole cub fans are over reacting. so was Alou.
    Last edited by joeguy; 10-15-2003 at 11:24 PM.

this is just ridiculous!! i mean, this guy's entire life has been completely turned upside down over a baseball game. it's a GAME. christ! there are so many things going wrong in the world right now - it's so stupid to be this uptight over a damn game. i feel so bad for this guy - he just did what anyone else would've done.
    "I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control, and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best .. "

Quote Originally Posted by joeguy
    he was at least 12 feet above the playing field, never saw alou coming and had two other people trying to catch it too. if he didn't touch it, they would have.
    Exactly. I feel so bad for him.

It's really not his responsibility for the Cubs to score runs - something they didn't do last night or the night before.

I hate that so many people are blaming this poor guy.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Okay, I'll be the lone voice of semi-dissent here. First off, I completely agree that it was irresponsible journalism to print this guy's name. I genuinely fear for his safety, and I hope he takes that Florida condo company's offer of asylum. He needs to not be in Chicago right now, because these fans are truly rabid, and they are furious. He's the perfect scapegoat, even though the Cubs made numerous mistakes having nothing to do with this kid.

On the other hand, he deserves part of the anger directed toward him. When you're at a game, sitting in the front row, you have a responsibility as a fan not to screw with the gameplay. To say that he was just watching the ball...eh. Watch the GAME. I remember in one of the AL games at Fenway, there was a similar play. The fans all backed the hell off, because getting a foul ball paled in comparison to the chance of their team making the out. To merely brush this off as something that "any fan would do" is crap. To say "Oh, it was in the stands, he had a right to reach for it" is also crap. Technically true crap, but crap nonetheless. I don't think there's much doubt that Alou would have caught that ball had this guy (and the several others reaching for it) not gotten in the way.

Bottom line, what happened in this series isn't the guy's fault. But taken as an isolated incident, he was in the wrong, and although I feel sorry for what he must be going through right now, I can only hope that fans everywhere can learn a lesson from his mistake. If your guy misses the ball, then scramble to pick it up off the floor of the stands, but at least give the player the chance to make the play.

If anything really happens to this guy - and seriously, I fear it will - that would be ridiculous and tragic. I hope he sues the hell out of the Sun Times (or TSG, or whatever agency first published his name) for putting him in such a position of risk.

OK, I'll play the ignorant one here...Can someone give me a Cliff Notes version of what happened and why he's being ridiculed so much?

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Okay, here's as short as I can get

Foul ball heads to left field for out 2 in Inning 8 of the game (Cubs up 3-0). 5 outs away from going to the World Series.

The left fielder of the Cubs can make the play even though the ball is in the stands. The fan (and others around him) also try to catch the ball which deflects it away from the fielder's glove.

Thus no out #2. The entire momentum of the game shifted, the fans went crazy in anger, and the Cubs lost concentration and allowed the Marlins to score 8 runs.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Yep. The ball was headed straight for the player's mitt, just over the wall, and the fan caught it instead, about 4" above the mitt.

It may not have changed the game, but it really changed the "feel".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast