+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smoking Gun ID's the Cubs game-wrecker

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    I'm glad he took some responsibility because (and I've said this in the baseball thread) I attribute the Cubs' poor play after that foul ball to his reaction and not the fan's.
    I agree. I think their poor performance after the foul ball was due much more to the reaction of Alou and the over-zealous fans than the guy catching the ball. Their negative energy totally changed the momentum and vibe of the game, imo.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by gracie
    Come on Chicago, it's over and done with. Get a life!!
    I'm sorry, but I have to weigh in on this. First off, I'm really not a Cubs fan. I'm a Yankees fan, and had it turned out to be a NY/Chicago World Series, I would have been pulling for NY the whole way. But as a *baseball* fan as well as a resident of Chicago, yeah, I was hoping the Cubs would take the series, instead of some team from Florida with no history.

To say "oh, it's over, get over it, get a life"...well, I'm sorry Gracie, but I can't agree with that. Please don't take this as a personal attack, because that's absolutely not my intention here. But sports loyalties require a pretty high degree of emotional involvement, and any emotional letdown isn't quickly forgotten. For all intents and purposes, it's the same as any loss one experiences. Does that justify threats and possible violence? Of course not. Perspective is key. But to say that a group of millions of fans ought to just let go of what is a heartbreaking experience is just not possible.

Furthermore, as much as people want to say that the fan was in no way to blame - and I'm not completely disagreeing, as I hope I made clear in my post from this morning - then why are Florida businesses crediting him with "saving their season"?
    http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/031015/flw032_1.html

Either way, I personally AM over it. I'm focused on the Yankees tonight, because that's where my loyalties are. But having experienced firsthand the gut-wrenching sadness of basically everyone I've encountered in the last day or so, I wouldn't trivialize what they're feeling by telling them they need to let it go. I lived through the fandom of 4 straight blown Super Bowls. I know how badly it hurts.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    What's especially sad for this poor guy is that he himself is a big Cubs fan. Even if the rest of the world did leave him alone (which they should), he'll be plagued enough with memories of what he did and what it meant to his favorite team. That's just awful.
    I agree 100% Paulie!! I said nearly the same thing to Mr. B the next morning. I mean, if anyone feels horrible about the Cubs losing, think how he feels. I can't imagine how haunted I would be if I cost (or felt like I cost, or others felt like I cost) my favorite football team their national championship (or SuperBowl if it were the NFL version )
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I agree that the pain the Cubs fans are experiencing is real. I feel badly for them, and I don't even root for their team most of the time. Obviously, they will get over it in time. But right now, you're right, Amanda. The pain is probably a little too fresh and raw. It's during this especially sensitive time that the fans should realize that the "foul ball guy" is just as torn up as they are (and probably more) and just leave him alone so he can work through whatever grief he needs to. The added pressures he faces, on top of his "die-hard fan" status, sicken me.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

When I hear about the man getting death threats spelled out on his pizza it repulses me. It also saddens me to see that expecially in a post-9/11 world, things like this could happen over a sporting event.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)

The added pressures he faces, on top of his "die-hard fan" status, sicken me.
    I 100% agree with that. Hopefully he can take some solace in the fact that the rest of the country has come down hard on his side. I imagine that nobody was pulling harder for a Cubs victory last night than he was.

As for the pizza threat...I can't find any evidence of that being true. Not saying it isn't - stranger things have happened - but I've been looking around for a source, and came up empty. If any of you guys find it, would you mind sharing?

death threats and stuff, idiocy (although I never heard of this pizza thing). That is way over the line. To say that everyone should just forget about it though, well, it's not gonna happen so soon. I feel horrible for Mr. Bartman (as Jimmy Kimmel said "pulling a bartman" will probably become a common euphemism) he definatley could have never imagined going to a game could possibly ruin his life .. and as I said in my other post I blame that play along with the over reaction of Alou resulting in what ended up going down that inning .. whatever, go Mariners (next year)

The pizza incident was either promoted on the AIM welcome screen this afternoon or I heard it on the Don&Mike show -- I'll see what I can dig up.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda
    To say "oh, it's over, get over it, get a life"...well, I'm sorry Gracie, but I can't agree with that. Please don't take this as a personal attack, because that's absolutely not my intention here. But sports loyalties require a pretty high degree of emotional involvement, and any emotional letdown isn't quickly forgotten.
    Yeah it is! I've totally forgotten about the Avs getting their asses kicked in Game Seven in Detroit in the '02 playoffs. Oh wait. Maybe not. Damn Red Wings. Bunch of old losers. *mutters*

They should let the poor guy go on with his life. He just had the bad luck of catching the ball that three other guys were also going for. And anyway, it was going over the rail.

Quote Originally Posted by duckgirl
    . He just had the bad luck of catching the ball that three other guys were also going for. And anyway, it was going over the rail.

I bet those three guys are thanking their lucky stars that they didn't get to it in time.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast