+ Reply to Thread

Thread: questions about newman's gas milage

just above the horizon, but below the ozone

questions about newman's gas milage

Opponents question Newman's fuel mileage

By Lee Montgomery, Turner Sports Interactive
    Monday, October 06, 2003

Banquet 400: Results | Winston Cup Standings | Photos

KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- No one would come out and say Ryan Newman has been cheating on
    fuel mileage, but it wasn't hard to read between the lines.

Newman went the final 117
    miles of the Banquet 400 at
    Kansas Speedway on one
    tank of fuel. He held off Bill
    Elliott to win his eighth race of the season, and
    it wasn't the first time Newman won on fuel
    mileage.

Ever since the first guy to win a race on fuel
    mileage, folks have questioned the legality -- or
    lack thereof -- of the winner's fuel system.
    There's gotta be hidden lines, cynics
    suggested. Or the fuel tank is bigger than it
    should be, they whispered.

And now, the whispers are about Ryan
    Newman. On Saturday at Kansas, no one less
    than Jeff Gordon hinted that Newman was
    doing something, well, doing SOMETHING
    wrong.

After Sunday's race, Gordon wasn't alone.

"I'm going to start buying fuel at their house," Tony Stewart said.

Kevin Harvick was a little more direct.

"I'm just pissed off that the 15th-place car wins the race and can go 15 laps farther on fuel than the rest of us,"
    Harvick said. "If he can do that with his foot, then he's a magician, and I'll kiss his ass if he's doing it with his foot."

Ouch.

But there's more. Jeremy Mayfield, who also stretched his fuel mileage to finish third, said Newman's team was
    suspicious.

"When you make the horsepower that they're making and burning the fuel that everybody's burning, then you've
    either got more fuel or you're really good at saving fuel," Mayfield said.

"I don't know how they're doing it. We just barely made it through. At the end of the race, we were saving all of the
    fuel that we could just to make it to the end. He was sitting there doing burnouts on the frontstretch. I don't know if
    we could do that or not."

Mayfield was later asked if a smaller fuel cell would help eliminate fuel-mileage races. Instead of simply answering
    the question, he dragged Newman into it.

"If you run 30 laps on 10 gallons, he'd probably run 45 or 50," Mayfield said. "I don't think the solution is going to a
    smaller cell. It's probably figuring out how they're doing it. You've got to have so much fuel in there to make so much
    horsepower. They're certainly not giving up horsepower. I think you can see that."

Perhaps.

But Newman and crew chief Matt Borland said it's simply a matter of their Penske Racing engine builders being able
    to construct engines with good horsepower and good fuel mileage. And they repeatedly said they don't cheat.

"No, we just beat 'em," Newman said. "I can tell you first-hand we're not cheating. We don't cheat. They can take
    what they want, they can say what they want."

Newman was asked if he found it interesting that Gordon was one of the ones hinting that Newman cheats, and he
    responded with a terse, "No."

Borland said Gordon was accused of cheating when he was winning all those races and championships a few
    years ago.

"It didn't stop people then from saying that, and it doesn't stop them now," Borland said.

"We don't cheat, we've never cheated," Borland said. "We've probably had our car torn down more than anyone
    else. With the way Ryan qualifies and the top-fives we've had, we're torn down every week. We've never done
    anything and we never plan to."

Sunday, Newman said luck had as much to do with is victory than anything because he was able to run several
    caution laps, which helped save fuel.

And Borland cited some other times when Newman did run out of gas, like at Indianapolis.

Still, the criticism came anyway. Sour grapes, Newman said.

"It's hard when you're criticized for doing good," Newman said. "It's hard to have a smart answer for a dumb
    question. When you get told comments by other drivers, it's hard to put some of that stuff behind you. It's hard to be
    unwitty, I guess, about it."

Updated on Tuesday, Oct 7, 2003 12:02 pm EDT

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I, for one, am getting tired of seeing him win on fuel mileage and not racing hard for the win. also, why is it a fuel milage thing all of a sudden? most races never had that type of crappy finish, they all had plenty of gas and raced for those wins.
    Last edited by joeguy; 10-07-2003 at 01:55 PM.

I'm not a big racing fan, but I had to laugh at how this thread title shows up on the forums page....all I saw was "questions about newman's gas..."

lol.

I have a friend whose nickname is newman, and man, can he be gassy!!
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Was it three weeks ago that Newman won the race and made a backwards victory lap? How in the world did he have enough gas in that tank to compensate for the car leaning the other way? I find it really hard to believe there's nothing going on there. Maybe he is just that good, but I doubt it.

Reminds me of the time(a while ago) that Junior Johnson's car was torn down when they were getting great gas milage. Inspectors tore the fuel system apart to try and see where they were cheating and didn't find anything. They told Junior he could have his car back. He reached inside and started it up, but the inspectors hadn't hooked the fuel line back up to the gas tank, he busted himself... had a line running completely around the car giving him 1-2 more gallons of gas.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

If they are working with in a so called "gray area" and able to stretch a rule to their advantage, more power to 'em as that is perfectly legal. However, if they are blatantly breaking a rule/specification then they should be punished accordingly with a large amount of points taken away, large fine. and suspension (not probation) for all parties with knowledge of what has being done from the car owner on down. I hope that is not the case as I happen to like Newman.

From what I read on one of the racing sites, 6 other cars pitted at the same time as newman did and made it to the end too, but they didn't have to race anyone like Newman did with Elliot. That is the difference that is making everyone go Hmmmm.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

+ Reply to Thread